30 Bananas a Day!

I'm not getting a great deal right now(ASDA is proving my cheapest option for organic bananas), there are no fruit shops nearby and i've tried contacting a few places who deliver but to no avail... If anyone can recommend any companies or has any tips it'd be greatly appreciated :)

Views: 1938

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I go to splott market in cardiff on a sunday. and buy ripe fruit by the box and stuff which doesn't always look good enough for supermarkets. I managed to buy a box of ripe organic bananas today but mostly not organic and supper cheap. sometimes I go to bessemer wholesale fruit market but usually costs more when it's unripe. I have considered ordering organic produce online from a supplier for delivery but it will cost a lot more.

Are Whole Foods Markets in London as good as in USA?

I am planning to move to London next summer. 

What I do is going to Morrisons one hour before closing time and they always have quite bags of bananas very ripe for 40 p. The other day I was in ASDA and I bought five bags of bananas for 25p each one because they were quite ripe for selling. I think they just were in its point, delicious.

I'd like they do the same with all the other fruit.

I'm in Leeds, Uk and have found the local city centre market to be good for non organic stuffs, but our saviour has been our local grocer. He gets in boxes of bananas (organic and not depending on what he can get) and charges us about £5 for a 12kg box which is very reasonable. He also got in fresh dates just for us and is going to look at getting young thai coconuts too! All this means no lugging heavy boxes on public transport!

I like that price for the bananas (and organics). Here the cheapest are 0,68 per kg quite unripe and non organic. I buy then anyway and let them ripe at home.

Hi, I know this thread is old but I was wondering if you are still getting this deal from your grocer?
If so, could I ask which grocer it is? I'm moving to Leeds soon and £5 for 12kg + lighter boxes sounds awesome.

I contacted a local wholesaler, who is happy to sell me fruit and veg provided I order by the tray/case.

He took a little persuading; I had to produce a typical shopping list in writing before he took me seriously about the quantities.

I collect from his outlet, which is just an industrial unit with a cold room.

The produce is fresh that morning from Covent Garden, and his prices are 30-40% less than Tesco.  

As none of his other customers request organic, he has stated he could not give me a good price on that, so I stick with conventionally-grown.

If you can't find a wholesaler, try an independent grocer.

Don't you have here what in spanish is called "consumer group"? That means a group of people who is together to order organic fruit and vegetables from a wholesaler or an independent grocer and obtain better prices that if you go to the shop and buy by yourself.

I mainly get my fruit delivered wholesale from an organic supplier.  I live in remote Okehampton in Devon and they deliver every Wednesday for free as long as I order about £100 of stock.  Their bananas are £20 per 18 kilo box, californian medjools are £54 per 5 kilo box plus I order lettuces, cucumbers, tomatoes, kaki fruit, oranges etc...

I try to keep my expenditure no more than £300 per month so I order 2 or 3 times per month with a box of dates lasting me a month and oranges last me 2 weeks and if my bananas ripen I peel them and chop them up and put them in freezer bags and freeze them for use in smoothies until they are gone.

On top of this I shop for bits and pieces in Waitrose for any reduced items ... I saw mangos reduced to 29 p not too long ago so I got a basket and bought all 17 they had left.

Hello, is anyone here living in Leeds?

I am!

Me too!

RSS

About

TheBananaGirl created this Ning Network.

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

Melissa Grace replied to Melissa Grace's discussion Vegan and Raw Vegan Eco-village(s) “Total Union”
Thursday
Paul Rodgers posted a video

Megan Elizabeth and drewmorg - vegan traitors trash high-raw-vegans

drewmorg has recently interviewed Megan Elizabeth. There was talk of Megan's diet which now includes meat, and more,
Thursday
Erick Goodman is now a member of 30 Bananas a Day!
Thursday
Melissa Grace posted a discussion
Wednesday
pradtf replied to pradtf's discussion great site with nutritional research information
Jun 10
pradtf replied to pradtf's discussion great site with nutritional research information
Jun 6
Ronnie Smith posted a blog post
Jun 4
OrganicMark posted a status
"What The Secret Space Force Really Looks Like May Surprise You! 2019-2020 #awakening #peace #truth #love #light #now http://bit.ly/2XovQZF"
Jun 4
ednshell replied to Silvery's discussion Is it safe to eat the water that you use to boil brocolli and cabbage?
Jun 3
OrganicMark posted a status
"INSIDERS & EXPERTS: AG BARR IS ABOUT TO DECLASSIFY DOCS THAT IMPLICATE BARRY IN THE SPYING OF TRUMP. #truth #now http://bit.ly/2wyUDyE"
Jun 2
Silvery posted a discussion
Jun 1
Silvery and Windlord are now friends
Jun 1
shaila reddy joined catalyst's group
Jun 1
Rawberry replied to Mati Manik's discussion Any 811er in Argentina?????
May 31
shaila reddy is now a member of 30 Bananas a Day!
May 31
May 30

© 2019   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service