30 Bananas a Day!

What's in a name? LFRV, Fruitarian, Raw, 811, Raw Vegan - I AM FRUITARIAN

For a long time I was a bit uncomfortable with using the term/definition: Fruitarian.  A lot of people told me that I couldn't call myself a Fruitarian because I ate raw plants that weren't defined as fruits, like greens, vegetables.  Yet I've always been eating about 80% or more of my calories from Fruit - I feel like I'm a Fruitarian.

If enough people agree on a definition to anything, that 'thing' becomes that agreed definition.  I want to see 'Fruitarian' as a mainstream term.  I believe 'Fruitarian' is the best way to describe how I eat, I also believe 'Fruitarian' has the greatest marketing potential for a much larger audience.

It seems that there is some momentum building towards this dream of mine, because today Dole Inc. released a video on their website (and to their 5+ million subscribers) about The Fruitarian Diet. 

I have had enough of calling my diet, LFRV, Raw Foodist, and other terms that don't have a future in drawing in a unified definition and marketing potiential for the masses.

10 years ago very few people knew what a 'Vegan' was.  Today it's the buzz word for being 'green', 'ethical', and 'healthy'.  It's time to take it to the next level folks.  

I eat a Fruitarian Diet. 

On Dole's Home Page: http://www.Dole.com

Views: 1536

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Just watched the video - gave me the chills!!!

I def. volunteered!! But MIchael chose not to have a support crew this time. why?

Also, Mike has drop bags at least some of the aid stations.

What bothers me the most, Michael, is that you chose to eat M+M's, which are not vegan. Why would you choose to eat those, when you had both raw chocolate and dates in your bag?

Aeri,

I feel the same way. Michael is truly a gifted athlete, and a total bad-ass! But if he is to be a figurehead for this fruit-loving movement, it would be nice if he followed Durianrider's example of being 100% fueled on raw vegan foods.

I truly believe what Gandhi has to say about happiness: "Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are all in harmony"

So I guess as long as Mike doesn't truly believe that a 100% raw fruitarian diet is the ultimate diet, and he believes that caffeine and cooked fat are healthy, then he feels good about his actions. I can respect that. I had just looked up to him as a raw vegan leader, and am disappointed.

I no longer want to share his endeavors with my friends and family as an example of how wonderful my diet is- if they read his race report they will say "but he eats peanut butter, he's not raw" "but he eats m+m's, he's not even vegan!" as if it is proof that no one can be a successful athlete on this diet. And my mom may start offering me sandwiches again-she has just stopped doing that...lol :P

By that definition probably none of us are raw foodists.

I eat dried fruit that is probably dried at more than 118 degrees.

You drink pasteurized juice- and you won't call yourself a raw foodist. Michael eats peanut butter sandwich and non-vegan candy and calls himself a fruitarian.

The line between raw and non-raw is a muddy one, but its crystal clear for vegan vs nonvegan.

I know vegans who smoke organic tobacco and drink vegan alcohol. Is that veganism? There are all sorts of grey areas for judgement.

Yes, that is veganism. Vegan does not necessarily mean the most healthy choice, but it is an ethical choice not to eat any animal products. When it comes to to vegan or not vegan, it's black and white.

Yeah, by his definition. But not by the rest of the world:

Google fruitarian. 

fruit-ar-i-an/fro͞oˈte(ə)rēən/: Noun: A person who eats only fruit. 

Fruitarianism involves the practice of following a diet that includes fruits, nuts and seeds, without animal products, vegetables and grains. -Wikipedia

Michael ate M+M's, which have milk. Is he a fruitarian?

Labeling ourselves serves only to communicate with others.  Leave the term fruitarian for the real fruitarians out there: the folks like Anne Osbourne who actually only eat fruit. How else are they supposed to describe their diet to others?

Fruitarian certainly sounds better than low fat raw vegan, or high carb raw vegan, or any other multi-word label. But leave fruitarian for the folks who are ethically dedicated to a 100% fruit diet.

Michael, I love the name/term fruitarian as well, raw foodist is too vague, and can be confused with so many other raw diets. Fruitarian is a strong word, and it represents the message very clearly.

Fruit for everyone! ;)

This is amazing! i am so so so excited to see this on SUCH a mainstream corporation's website! it's like an athlete on the wheeties box!!!

I agree I feel really uncomfortable with anyone who eats anything other than fruit calling themselves fruitarian. I certainly never have.

I just say I eat a lot of fruit... Why bother labeling myself?

Totally agree :)
yes. i do always tell people that i am vegan.
what about "Frugivore"?  Dr. Graham coined that in the book...

RSS

About

TheBananaGirl created this Ning Network.

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

fruity78 replied to fruity78's discussion Where i get tastiest young coconuts in jan/feb?
yesterday
fruity78 posted a discussion
yesterday
Rock replied to RawVeganGamer's discussion Taking good care of your teeth with fluoride.
Friday
Rock replied to Victoria's discussion Info on the death of my fellow faster?? anyone know any details?
Friday
Lynae K. replied to Laura's discussion Loren Lockman (Low-Fat Raw Vegan? of 20 Years) Will Be Speaking in NY/NJ/PA May 24th–30th! Any Interested Attendees??
Friday
Lynae K. replied to Victoria's discussion Info on the death of my fellow faster?? anyone know any details?
Friday
ednshell commented on Rawgasm's group No mobile phones
Friday
OrganicMark posted a status
"One Bank Finally Admits The Fed's "NOT QE" Is Indeed QE... And Could Lead To Financial Collapse #peace #truth #light http://j.mp/2NQ5Jsc"
Friday
Rock replied to Victoria's discussion Info on the death of my fellow faster?? anyone know any details?
Thursday
Thursday
Kris and Kevin are now friends
Wednesday
Sylvie Charron replied to cindy's discussion BEFORE AND AFTER PHOTOS
Nov 13
Nov 13
Nov 13
Sarah Troyer joined TheBananaGirl's group
Nov 13
JP7 is now a member of 30 Bananas a Day!
Nov 12

© 2019   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service