30 Bananas a Day!

This comment by our illustrious pradf, along with some musings of my own, prompted me to start this thread.

What motivates us to do things? There are some truly amazing people on this board, doing some pretty incredible things day after day, braving sun and storm alike. Tarah (among a gazillion other brave things) sails the seas in defence of some of the most beautiful life forms on this planet, Harley hits 'em hard with bananas, papayas and false hair, Robby saves the diabetics of the world.

Why?

How come some go to any lengths to make things happen while others give up at slightest resistance?

Views: 33

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We're all following the desires fuelled by our feelings to make ourselves happy... In the distant past these were to help us get along, get good food, get a good place to sleep, get a good mate... But now we're such a successful species that any traits get passed along. My thoughts recently

dopamine release and compassion. If anyone has any ideas what i could do siting at home or just being around town, then I would like to hear from you - I would really like to do something for saving the animals and volunteer my time...

nick

and about that dopamine release, my anti's stop me from being motivated....

I once saw a documentary about a ship that sank. They interviewed a few of the survivors and they told how some people just stood still when the boat sank, not moving, not trying to get out; in some, the shock instantly created rocket energy, propelling them instantly towards life boats and out, while in others, it created apathy.

Maybe the latter deep down really didn't want to live?

I find it endlessly fascinating how some people are able to be totally committed to seemingly completely assinine ideas, training incredible amounts and giving their whole life to something like running 100 m 0,01 s faster than anyone else. 

Mary,

I'm not sure if it takes a certain kind of personality to enjoy living against mainstream, but based on my meager experience, this kind of personalities certainly abound in "alternative" circles. Sometimes, it seems to me, in such quantities that it actually becomes counterproductive: Once enough people have become "alternative", they actually form the new mainstream and the old mainstream then becomes the "alternative" minority.

Although this is nowhere near happening on a large scale, I've seen signs of it in a few "alternative" communities; some have such a strong need and drive to be pioneers they can't stop and enjoy what has been achieved but always need to push on... Sometimes even if 'pushing on' actually means 'going back'.

To me, the father of Laura Ingalls in the little house on the prairie books is a great example. He couldn't stand living in "cramped" conditions, which by his definition meant something like two neighbours within 25 miles or so. As a result, he pushed ever on. But by doing so, he was in fact diminishing the free space available.

It can also be daunting to live with such people if you yourself don't enjoy living against mainstream. (This doesn't mean you don't enjoy living 'naturally'/off the grid/the lfrv/80/10/10 way - you simply dislike being so alone with it.)

-----

Jaakko

www.lfrvfamilies.com - where the families gather

RSS

About

TheBananaGirl created this Ning Network.

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

Profile IconHeather and Ken Ebacher joined 30 Bananas a Day!
18 hours ago
Eileen A. Murphy posted a status
"Just ate my first banana, today!"
Tuesday
Profile IconEileen A. Murphy and Evan Vallee joined 30 Bananas a Day!
Monday
pradtf replied to pradtf's discussion great site with nutritional research information
Monday
OrganicMark posted a status
"Housing Bubble 2.0 - Foreclosure Filings Up in 17 States - Fannie Mae Sells Off Critical Inventory #peace #truth #now http://bit.ly/2Hskhez"
Sunday
Meredith is now a member of 30 Bananas a Day!
May 17
Profile IconFedor Malkin and Karmenac33 joined 30 Bananas a Day!
May 16
pradtf replied to pradtf's discussion great site with nutritional research information
May 15
Pete Braglia and ednshell are now friends
May 14
Kelly's photo was featured
May 14
Pete Braglia is now a member of 30 Bananas a Day!
May 14
ednshell posted a discussion
May 11
Windlord's photo was featured
May 11
Paul Rodgers posted a video

Now you can't be vegan 'cause... Mineral levels in plants are depleted. LifeRegenerator lacks sense

LifeRegenerator appears on RawKristina's video and repeats what an anti-vegan told me days before... that mineral levels in plant foods have depleted by 85 percent
May 11
Valentin Otto is now a member of 30 Bananas a Day!
May 11

© 2019   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service