I just had some Mamey Sapote for the first time last week and they just might make the favorites list.
Bananas and Mangoes are my top 2.
0. any fruit picked in the wild amongst gorgeous full power nature!
3. sweet sop (also called Buddha Head)
5. persimmon... during persimmon season I practically live on these!
6. really good papaya, only found so far in Asian tropical countries
7. figs - who doesn't love these?
8. really really ripe red bananas!
9. strawberry madrone - colorful little perfect spheres with a yellow inside and a bright fire engine red prickly outside, that taste like exotic strawberries! They grow in California...
10. young coconuts! not really a fruit, but the juice is all sugar...
I've been living on this incredible farm lately, eating local wild or semi-wild fruits that are just mercilessly delicious, and realizing that there is a whole 'nother dimension to fruits that I have been missing out on all the time I was relying on stores for my fruit.
Even a plain old apple or pear from one of these trees is heaven, the tastes are so rich and full of vibrancy and life force. Compared to one of my favorite tropical fruits that has been picked too early, refrigerated for a week during shipment, then sat on a store shelf, I would have to say the apple wins.
The plums growing where I live are divine!
Funny that everyone likes mangoes so much - I ate my fill of them as a kid, so I am no longer a huge mango fan...