30 Bananas a Day!

The only greens that I enjoy eating from the supermarket are romain lettuce and celery, but lately the celery has had almost no taste to it (not salty at all) and the lettuce can also be very hit and miss at times plus organic greens are actually one of the most expensive things I ever buy.

I love the fact that home-grown sprouts are actually fresh and are dirt cheap, but are they really good for us?  (No, I'm not asking if they are as good for us as the people who claim that they are 100 times more nutritious than any other food out there, I'm just asking if they are a decent source of "greens" and if so which sprouts are best.)

I still have some basic sprouting trays from my first year of being "Raw" so I can easily start growing some, but I just want to know if anyone here has any advice on what's better, lettuce and celery from the supermarket or homegrown sprouts.

Views: 96

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I enjoy lentil sprouts and sprouted quinoa.  I've sprouted chickpeas as well to make sprouted hummus but I haven't had them in a long time.

sunflower sprouts are the best option imo.

they're not as easy to grow as alfalfa tho.

its easy to eat a lb of lettuce, 1lb of sprouts, not so sure.

not sure if they're any higher in minerals than greens.

celery really isn't very high in nutrients when you compare it to romaine.

if money is the problem try cutting the celery and trying to get a deal by buying the lettuce by the case.

I remember making lentil sprouts years ago and eating them mono as a snack.  I enjoyed them quite a bit, but my taste for them might have changed a lot since then.
I've bought mung bean sprouts at the supermarket before and I enjoyed them.  I also know that it would be somewhere between 10 and 100 times cheaper to grow them myself.

RSS

About

TheBananaGirl created this Ning Network.

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

Rock replied to RawVeganGamer's discussion Taking good care of your teeth with fluoride.
6 hours ago
Rock replied to Victoria's discussion Info on the death of my fellow faster?? anyone know any details?
7 hours ago
Lynae K. replied to Laura's discussion Loren Lockman (Low-Fat Raw Vegan? of 20 Years) Will Be Speaking in NY/NJ/PA May 24th–30th! Any Interested Attendees??
7 hours ago
Lynae K. replied to Victoria's discussion Info on the death of my fellow faster?? anyone know any details?
8 hours ago
ednshell commented on Rawgasm's group No mobile phones
8 hours ago
OrganicMark posted a status
"One Bank Finally Admits The Fed's "NOT QE" Is Indeed QE... And Could Lead To Financial Collapse #peace #truth #light http://j.mp/2NQ5Jsc"
23 hours ago
Rock replied to Victoria's discussion Info on the death of my fellow faster?? anyone know any details?
yesterday
yesterday
Kris and Kevin are now friends
Wednesday
Sylvie Charron replied to cindy's discussion BEFORE AND AFTER PHOTOS
Tuesday
Tuesday
Tuesday
Sarah Troyer joined TheBananaGirl's group
Tuesday
JP7 is now a member of 30 Bananas a Day!
Tuesday
Lynae K. commented on victoria conde's blog post GOODBYE Tanglewood
Tuesday
Lynae K. replied to Victoria's discussion Info on the death of my fellow faster?? anyone know any details?
Tuesday

© 2019   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service