30 Bananas a Day!

Google search Vitamix black debris. I really wanted to buy this blender but this is putting me right off. I don't want to ingest black rubber bits. Vitamix says it's FDA approved to come into 'contact' with food but what about actual ingestion? 

Also all the one star reviews of the Blendtec on Amazon are putting me off too, looks like it has a similar problem.

Do you think it's safe? Do we breathe in worse things everyday? 

Views: 2644

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

never had this issue with mine, but VM is a solid company and should deal promptly with any issues if they arise.

So you've tested this yourself?
Vitamix has recognized the problem but it looks like they can't fix it, even if they send out a new jar it will have the problem, it's a design flaw that needs to be changed.

no I haven't not being aware of the potential problem, though I'm not sure i've ever run the machine 4-5 min anyway.  What does VM claim the stuff is?  

You don't need to run it 4-5 min, these specs happen randomly at any time. Try it yourself.

From Blender Dude:
Vitamix has acknowledged both the source of the issue as well as the black speck material, itself. It comes from what I can only describe as the top of the fill-line (my term, not Vitamix’s) of PTFE inside the hub in which the drive shaft for the blade assembly protrudes. The cause of the flaking can be deduced as the underside of the blade component making contact with this fill-line during use. If the fill-line never makes contact with the blade component, flaking is unlikely to occur. Likewise, after enough flaking has occurred such that contact is no longer made, the flaking will cease. (Will it?)

Vitamix is offering to replace free of charge any container affected by the issue. There is no guarantee that any particular container will be affected. However, the design issue that causes the problem when it does occur has not be remedied as of yet.

I bought a vitamix from the UK and personally I think for the money it really sucks. The motor already seems to have some kind of an issue like it's busted it's clutch or something (no idea how they work) vibrating all over the place and just sounds super dodgey. Also if you accidentally leave it on high setting and just turn it off, the next time you turn it on it sounds really bad again like a spinning / burnt clutch as it jams into high speed from zero - the overall design is just not consumer friendly. Yes you can avoid this by being vigilant. Just like you can avoid your car rolling down the hill by putting chucks under the wheels - but a hand brake is a better idea. Does not seem to be as powerful or as great by any stretch as people claim. I would avoid it a second time.  Haven't had any rubber bits come off though. When you blend stuff like humus for example if you turn up the speed it starts to give off a burning smell within a few seconds, sounds bad, and often will cut off for 15 minutes, even after only 15 - 20 seconds of blending. I paid a freaking fortune for it thinking it was a solid purchase for a long time. :(

i don't have a vitamix, but there's black water leaking from the bottom of my blender, so i might check it out with clear water, but first i'll drink my dateorade otherwise i can't do that anymore.

Yeah I found out about this issue recently when I was looking to buy a blender. I really wanted the vitamix but the black specs were a huge concern. I emailed vitamix about it to see if they had plans to fix the problem. They just basically said they are aware of the problem and are researching it. I wasn't happy with that answer so I bought an optimum 9400. I am quite happy with it. I got the blender from www.froothie.com. Froothie is the distributor for the optimum blenders and they have websites in several countries if you are not in the US. Just google froothie and your country it should come up if they have a distribution site for your country.
Here is a short video showing the problem http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YSGjiRAr39E

But there are several videos you can find online. Vitamix was also having a problem with the blades chipping or worse completely just breaking with normal use so I think vitamix quality has gone down in the recent history. Blendtec even made jugs to fit the vitamix because of the blade breaking problem.

Well I ended up getting a Blendtec Total and it's been amazing. You can pulse the smoothies gently just fine with the pulse button. I never knew bananas could blend so silky, really brings the flavour out. As another benefit it also sounds like I do rocket launches from my kitchen now.

I really wish I had gotten one of those. But at the time I heard that Vitamix was the best 

-_____- gosh... so much regret xD

RSS

About

TheBananaGirl created this Ning Network.

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

Stephen posted photos
Tuesday
ednshell replied to Silvery's discussion What are some vitamins you recommend?
Saturday
Profile IconStephen and Carolin joined 30 Bananas a Day!
Saturday
ednshell replied to ednshell's discussion Top German Scientist questions COVID19 response in open letter to Merkel
Saturday
ednshell posted a discussion
Saturday
OrganicMark posted a status
"DUD PARTS Coronavirus testing delayed after kits found to be contaminated by Covid-19 #NoVaccine #organic #fruits https://j.mp/3aDW0ye"
Apr 2
Samantha Marie Alvarez left a comment for Scooby the Cantaloupe Kid
Apr 1
Samantha Marie Alvarez and Scooby the Cantaloupe Kid are now friends
Apr 1
Meurig Rowlands is now a member of 30 Bananas a Day!
Apr 1
Samantha Marie Alvarez posted a discussion
Apr 1
Mika M is now a member of 30 Bananas a Day!
Mar 30
"Bahrain, Belgium Report COVID-19 Treatment Touted By Trump Working For Patients #organic #fruits #vegetables #health https://j.mp/39p6zno"
Mar 27
Cassie K and DreamsofFreedom are now friends
Mar 27
Cassie K added a discussion to the group Gardening for food and fun.
Mar 27
Sarah Troyer and Kevin are now friends
Mar 20
"Visualizing The History Of Pandemics... By Death Toll #NoVaccine #organic #fruits #vegetables #health #longevity http://j.mp/2x0ghPI"
Mar 18

© 2020   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service