30 Bananas a Day!

Very High Triglycerides and high cholesterol on raw vegan high carb diet

Hey guys,

PS: Attaching my test results.

I have been on a raw vegan diet since June, 2014. I had gotten my blood tests done last year and everything was good except I was low on Vit D3. I started taking Vit D3 supplement (I was already taking Vit B12 supplements). I got my blood tests done again and everything else is normal BUT I am VERY HIGH on fasting triglycerides and my cholesterol is high!

I am confused. I workout 6x a week and I eat fruits and veggies, a ton of dates. I used to take omega3 and multivitamin supplements earlier that I stopped later thinking I shouldn't need them. Googling tells me I am eating too many carbs (which I do, I eat a ton of dates too) or too much fat (which I don't), or not enough omegas. 

Regarding fats, I am quitting nuts and seeds in favor of avocados as its easier on the digestion. Does that mean I should definitely supplement for omegas?

Anyone else experienced the same issue? What should I do?!! 

Thanks!!

Views: 4180

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Benefits of nut consumption for people with abdominal obesity, high blood sugar, high blood pressure

"For the first time, scientists report a link between eating nuts and higher levels of serotonin in the bodies of patients with metabolic syndrome (MetS), who are at high risk for heart disease. Serotonin is a substance that helps transmit nerve signals and decreases feelings of hunger, makes people feel happier and improves heart health. It took only one ounce of mixed nuts (raw unpeeled walnuts, almonds and hazelnuts) a day to produce the good effects. The report appears in ACS' Journal of Proteome Research.
Cristina Andrés-Lacueva and colleagues from the Biomarkers & NutriMetabolomics Research Group of the University of Barcelona in collaboration with the Human Nutrition Unit of the Rovira i Virgili University explain that the rise in obesity around the world means more and more patients have MetS. Symptoms include excess abdominal fat, high blood sugar and high blood pressure, which increase the risk of developing type 2 diabetes and heart disease. Dietary changes may help patients shed the excess weight and become healthier, among the changes, the regular consumption of nuts -- which are jam-packed with healthful nutrients, such as healthy fats (unsaturated fatty acids) and antioxidants (polyphenols) -- have been recommended to fight the metabolic abnormalities associated with MetS. To check the biochemical effects of nut consumption, the researchers put 22 MetS patients on a nut-enriched diet for 12 weeks and compared them to another group of 20 patients who were told to avoid nuts.

The scientists analyzed the broad spectrum of compounds excreted in the patients' urine and found evidence of several healthful changes. One surprise was evidence that nut consumption had boosted patients' levels of serotonin metabolites in urine, since these findings suggest the role of serotonin in the beneficial effects of nuts. They point out that the study provides the first evidence in humans of the beneficial effects of nut consumption in reducing levels of substances in the body associated with inflammation and other cardiovascular risk factors in patients with metabolic syndrome."

Source:
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2011-11/acs-bon110211.php

The American Chemical Society is a non-profit organization chartered by the U.S. Congress. With more than 163,000 members, ACS is the world's largest scientific society and a global leader in providing access to chemistry-related research through its multiple databases, peer-reviewed journals and scientific conferences. Its main offices are in Washington, D.C., and Columbus, Ohio.

Sounds very convincing but I have to go by my observations. I was consuming 20-25 gms of soaked nuts every day and my cholesterol is messed up. I have a "fatty liver". 

I have to go by my experience, and not any impressive or convincing paper. Maybe their research focused on benefits for obese people. 

" I don't want to become low in fat and then go on a binge. I want to get into a habit that I can maintain."

- A "handful" of fresh nuts combined with a handful of fresh dates makes me not crave or bing on other less healthy (junk) foods, while high on juicy fruits. In the end it is about burning up the excess sugar for it to not be stored as fat.

Not sure if avocado is a better option / substitute for fresh nuts, as nuts contain more healthy stuff.

Avocado are supposedly healthier as they are a fruit and have water content too. I have read that they are a super food, much much easier to digest than nuts and also help in absorption of other nutrients from the food you eat it with.

Im just got my first blood test done today after 2 years of raw till 4, praying i dont get the same result!!

here check this out

if mine are high I will be going the mcdougal route fully

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2003nl/030100putamingelevatedtrigl...

Hey Billy.. I hope all your test results come out great. Regarding triglycerides, I am not sure if they are bad or if moving to starches will be a better way. Starches are harder to digest than fruits and veggies. I am sticking to raw vegan, just stopped eating all nuts and instead I eat around one avocado a day. Will get tests done again in a few months.

I think that is a good idea. Please post the results. We would love to know how that would influence your blood profile.

Sure thing!

Here's an interesting university journal that may help you, especially considering that lemon juice goes well with avocados (I love avocado rolls)

Journal

I got my blood tests done again and my cholesterol is perfectly normal now.

All I did was replace nuts and seeds with avocados, roughly 5 avocados a week. Some chia seeds in my smoothie once or twice a week and once in a while, coconut meat blended with coconut water as a special treat.

My triglycerides are still in the slightly high range. But I have happy my cholesterol numbers look good.

Are you sure that they measured cholesterol? From what I know, they separate lipoproteins based on density by centrifuge or gel electrophoresis. Why the call lipoproteins cholesterol is anybody's guess. They can carry cholesterol, but they are NOT cholesterol and shouldn't be called cholesterol. They should be called lipoproteins because that is what they are. Look it up.

You don't eat cholesterol, so any cholesterol that you have is produced by your body. It is the precursor for every steroid hormone in your body: vitamin D, cortisol, testosterone, ect.. You need it.

The triglycerides are simply fat. Would be best to eliminate all dietary sources. 

RSS

About

TheBananaGirl created this Ning Network.

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

OrganicMark posted a status
"$53.2 Billion In QE Lite: Fed Concludes First Repo In A Decade Amid Liquidity Panic #peace #truth #love #light http://j.mp/2kFdPbI"
2 hours ago
"Home Prices: Downhill From Here #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light http://j.mp/2kMOeNN"
yesterday
pradtf replied to pradtf's discussion great site with nutritional research information
Sunday
pradtf left a comment for Tams
Friday
pradtf and Tams are now friends
Friday
pradtf replied to pradtf's discussion great site with nutritional research information
Friday
"ECB cuts key rate, relaunches QE to shore up eurozone economy #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light http://j.mp/2kymAUZ"
Friday
"Trump Says Fed Should Cut Rates "To ZERO Or Less", So US Can Refinance Debt And Lenghten Maturities #peace #truth#light http://j.mp/2kH4yzB"
Sep 12
hajapapaya replied to TINtininintin's discussion seeking hair and scalp advice in the group Raw Vegan Skincare & Beauty
Sep 8
"Housing Bubble 2.0 - Housing Market Crash on the Way: Shiller #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light http://j.mp/2knZ6ln"
Sep 8
Peter Csere commented on Peter Csere's video
Sep 7
Josephine H Calvi is now friends with Randy Raw, Jojo Marion and Kevin
Sep 6
Lotus33 and Primal Rich are now friends
Sep 6
Scarlet R joined TheBananaGirl's group
Sep 6
"For Second Week In A Row, Fed Buys Treasuries (AKA, QE4!?!) #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light http://j.mp/2lCSaRg"
Sep 5
Amanda May left a comment for Kevin
Sep 5

© 2019   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service