30 Bananas a Day!

Just wondering what other people have experience with vegan babies.  My 9 month old has not gained weight in 3 months.  She is in the 10th percentile for weight.  She eats fruit and puffed cereal and breast feeds on demand, which is still often.  What have those of you with raw or vegan babies experienced with weight and diet??

Views: 603

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

avocado and bananas

if you're breastfeeding, you literally need to double your calories

that didnt work with me, I doubled them, what happened was that I gained weight (what was really undesired) but my baby didnt.

I don't know about that... My baby and I were/are vegan and I still breastfeed her and she's nearly 3. She has been growing like crazy since she was 1 week old has consistently been in the 90th percentile weight AND height since birth. Never rolls of fat either. Just solid. So not all vegan babies will be in the lower percentiles!

She started solids late, not really into it until past 1 year. Avocado, mango, sweet potato, and berries were her favs well into her second year. Some days it was nothing but blueberries and breastmilk :) 

To the OP I have no great advice, sorry. Since I don't have experience with a lower percentile child... I would say BREASTFEED! But it sounds like you are doing that, on demand, I think is wonderful, keep it up :)

YES, but it is not good to be the smallest, as well... The smallest in the class, ugh I can imagine the child having problems with it.

actually, now that I think about this... "My 9 month old has not gained weight in 3 months." You're going to have to put your baby on a vegan baby formula, until you start getting enough calories into your body.

Did she gain fine for the first 6 months?  Has this problem only been since introducing solids?  Has there been a life change for you that may affect your milk supply?  Has your baby been exclusively breastfed? 

What was her birth weight and what is it now?  Sorry so many questions but it's hard to say without knowing more. 

fyi  My middle child was 10% as an infant and at 7 years old, still is and he's a dynamo.  Shooting for doubling your babe's weight at her first birthday is reasonable but not written in stone.

She was exclusively breast fed then I intorduced banana which went well for a couple weeks then she started puking them so I backed off for a couple weeks now she does fine.  Did fruit only for a few weeks but she just wasn't eating much so added the grains. I haven't done many well child checkups so I don't know the rate of growth except that she weighed less today than she did 3 months ago at her last visit. Birth weight was 7.5 lb 20 in current weight 15.1 lb height 27 inches.  Dr says he is more concerned that her height has tapered off.   

I don't repeat myself too often, but I'm completely serious about you doubling your calories for your breast milk & putting the baby on a vegan formula + blended up bananas and avocados.

I hassled my sister to double her calories when she was pregnant and when she was breast feeding and I'll keep on bothering you until you agree to do all I have said :P

Babies like breast milk and/or a liquid formula most of the time, that's just how it goes.

You're right, it's so important for the Mom to be carbed up yes, but I don't think adding water would be good right now -  as in blending with bananas and avacados, unless you mean blending them alone or with breastmilk. 

yes, I meant blending them alone

it is absolutely necessary right now until her baby starts growing and gaining weight properly, her breast milk is obviously not reliable right now because of insufficient calories

"My 9 month old has not gained weight in 3 months" <-----this is not something to play around with

I would really try some avacado, because it's high in calories, fat and protein and yummy and easy for babes to eat.  I remember chewing nuts and feeding them to my baby as well.  I remember the concern about weight gain and how stressful that can be.   I would back off on the grains, they really are too hard to digest.  I know we're not supposed to recommend cooked foods but I do remember my kids eating a lot of baked sweet potato another good source of calories and yummy. 

Is your daughter an early walker?  I've heard some parents with early walkers notice less weight gain because their babies are burning more calories earlier than most.

Does your baby nurse with you at night?  I remember doing this a lot and even though I was more tired the breastmilk has more fat content at night.

RSS

About

TheBananaGirl created this Ning Network.

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

OrganicMark posted a status
"Trump knocks Mueller out of the ring #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light #now http://bit.ly/2UCShJb"
yesterday
Michael Lanfield posted a discussion
yesterday
Laticia Gibson is now a member of 30 Bananas a Day!
yesterday
pradtf replied to pradtf's discussion great site with nutritional research information
yesterday
"You’re Not Dying – It’s the Schumann Resonance! #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light #now http://bit.ly/2HuGyZu"
Mar 13
pradtf replied to pradtf's discussion great site with nutritional research information
Mar 11
Milos Stepita posted a discussion
Mar 10
"Q - The Plan To Save The World REMASTERED #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light #now http://bit.ly/2TjAGtr"
Mar 7
Profile IconPedro Ceron and Jacob Young joined 30 Bananas a Day!
Mar 4
Mar 4
RawVeganGamer posted a discussion
Mar 3
Avi commented on TheBananaGirl's page THE RAW TILL 4 DIET EBOOK
Mar 1
Profile IconAvi and Joyce joined 30 Bananas a Day!
Feb 28
"WHY? Massive Blasts Hitting Earth Continually w/ Dani Arnold-McKenny #awakening #peace #truth #love #light #now http://bit.ly/2To6VHf"
Feb 27
Feb 26
Profile IconTara nuru and Jami joined 30 Bananas a Day!
Feb 25

© 2019   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service