30 Bananas a Day!

University Of Natural Health :: Recommendations or Alternatives?

I've been in the market for a degree or certificate in natural health.  I may be looking to go to Bastyr to become a Naturopathic Doctor; however, the tuition is very high, it would require me to move (which is actually a plus), and I won't be able to work to support myself while in school.  So.... now I'm looking into some alternatives; preferably less expensive than Bastyr and something that offers online courses.  I've looked into Institute for Integrative Nutrition (IIN) and University of Natural Health (UNH).  Both seem pretty good.

Even though I have been studying health and nutrition on my own, in my spare time, for the last 5 years, I would still like some in-depth training on the subject.  When it comes down to starting my own practice, I want to make sure I can provide the best care and insight possible; while also guarding myself from malpractice due to lack of training and experience.

From what I've learned about IIN, they don't give you a deep understanding of the science of the body.  They mostly focus on understanding popular diets and how to steer someone to the best diet for their goals.  I use the term diet loosely.  There's a difference between going on a diet and changing your diet.  I focus on the latter.

UNH seems the best fit for me because they do focus on the science of the body and nutrition.  My question is, can anyone here recommend UNH and/or an alternative.  I don't want to waste $3k+ on a program that is not legit.  Has anyone here attended UNH?  If so, please share your thoughts and experience.

Views: 503

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

my mom and i looked into UNH, she works for a college and was researching and since they dont have student loan availability, it doesnt sound like it is the best.  Also, my mom doesnt think they are recognized by a certain department of education, so even if it says its accredited, it could not be.  I think best bet is Bastyr, i plan on starting there in the 2012 fall semester at the new california based institution they are making.  Ive been in school as well, but for exercise science.  I want to still do that, but i want to become a naturopathic dr as well.  I realized as well a few months ago finally what i want to do (im only a 2nd semester sophmore as of now, and im 21, but i'll basically be having to start from square one again).  I went from nutrition, to exercise science, and now i basically want to do both but a naturopathic dr, not just a nutritionist or something.  Hope this helps!
I am in the same position right now also. IIN won't really teach me what I want to learn but seems like they are really focused on getting you a job or helping you start your own carrier. UNH seems great but the lack of being legit and not being able to get financial aid is a bummer. I haven't looked that much into Bastyr. Does it seem like the teachers will be teaching a lifestyle that follows natural hygiene or 811? Doug Graham has a "certified lifestyle coach" that he offers but I know nothing about it.

I can't speak for Lane, as to exactly what he meant.... I can speak about my reservations though.  Is UNH's philosophy legit or pseudo-science?  Do you actually learn something that can/will change your life for the better?  Will individuals seeking care recognise this type of approach as legit and therefore seek help at a practice providing this type of care?  Will individuals seeking care still find it worth going to a Holistic Nutrition practice, even if their healthcare insurance provider won't pay for this type of service?

There are a lot of variables to think about.... I don't believe a Doctor of Holistic Nutrition will be seen as a valid asset at a traditional hospital or primary care doctor's office.  So most likely, I'd have to risk starting my own practice w/out having had any real world experience and just the training received from UNH.  This would mean taking on a lot of risk w/out any real evidence it will pay off.

Any other thoughts on the legitimacy?

Thank you, those are my exact concerns.
Thank you for the thread!  Maybe I should have done a search and posted my question there.  Too late now I guess.

I'm an IIN graduate...and I have to say that I loved the school very much and thought it was worth every cent, plus the school does a lot of giving back.  As a graduate I still constantly get invited back to attend lectures and conferences with top speakers in the industry.  They also have a 2nd year program called Immersion that is FREE for all graduates and you are allowed to repeat as many times as you want in the future.

That being said, it doesn't sound like IIN is what you are interested in.  The school has nothing to do with Natural Health.  It gives a overview of all the dietary theories, so you have an understanding and can better communicate with clients.  The curriculum teaches you how to counsel and how to market yourself along with information on the dietary theories.  Yes, I learned about 80/10/10 in the school, but I also had to sit through Sally Fallon telling everyone that meat and dairy in abundance is the healthiest diet.

It sounds like for what you want that UNH is the fit for you.  When you graduate from UNH if you are able to establish a practice on your own that is great (and of course very possible).  However if you feel like you need guidance on how to market yourself and get clients then I would recommend doing IIN on top of it.  You can even do IIN while you're at UNH.  The program is extremely flexible.

But yeah...if you are looking to pick just one, UNH is definitely your best bet.  IIN would not give you what you are looking for.

Sorry...I tend to be repetitive...  

Bastyr would be my first choice, BUT......

It costs about $50k per year for 4 years.  On top of that, my BS degree didn't provide me w/ some basic classes required as prerequisites for the ND program at Bastyr.  So in addition to spending $50k and 4 years to be an ND, I'll also have to spend about 2 years taking prerequisite classes.  The reason it will take 2 years for prereq's is because I currently work full-time.

All that being said.... Bastyr is very time demanding, so I won't be able to work much if any at all.  How am I to afford $50k a year when I can't work?  They don't offer scholarships for graduate degrees, so I'd have to get loans to go to school, and probably loans to live and pay bills.  I guess the best thing I should do is talk to some people who are currently attending Bastyr and see how they do it.  I'm sure there is a way.

In the mean time... while I'm taking prereq classes for the next two years, I can also attend UNH online.  Worst case scenario, I end up w/ the prereq courses and just UNH degree...  That is, if I'm unable to attend Bastyr.  FYI, the prereq courses are 2 Biology's, 4 chemistry's and 2 physics.  That's 6 higher level science classes.  I'm very overwhelmed right now, lol.
I have a Liberal Arts degree in Computer Information Systems.  Although it doesn't relate at all to what I want to do long term; I don't believe it was a total waste.  I'm starting a software company that will help people track their nutrition and how it directly affects their health.  So in a round about way, this CIS related experience should pay off... plus I at least have a degree in something from a recognised school.

Last I heard, our member B here was pursuing a degree at UNH.  Might be a good contact for you.  Try PM'ing him, as he's not here regularly.

http://www.30bananasaday.com/profile/bc?xg_source=profiles_memberList

Hey

Yea, I think Bastyr would probably be the better option. If you really can't afford the tuition fees, you could always consider going to somewhere like Cape Town, South Africa. They have a naturopathy degree program (its actually a 5 year double BSc) which is only about £5k GBP per year.

Once you graduate from this college, if you wanted to remain in SA you can register with the national accrediting body for health professionals and you are then automatically able to act as a primary care professional, including legally using the title doctor, and getting your services covered by patients medical insurance. Although this qualification would be valid in SA, Europe and Australia, I am not sure whether it is valid in America. Last time I checked, the ND/NMD qualifications in north america only accept degrees pursued on a full time basis over a minimum of 4 years in America.

The SA degree program is a full-time attendance course so it wouldn't be available online and would require a move.

My thinking: If you want to learn about useful, real, interesting, pro-raw foods/natural hygiene based approaches to nutrition and health, then the UNH course is a great bet and an absolute bargain. But if you are wanting a qualification that will give you legitimate clinical skills and education, you absolutely cannot get this through an online course. Only courses validated by actual universities can do this. I really doubt that a UNH degree would be accepted as valid by foreign universities. For example, if I did a PhD at UNH and then applied to do another doctorate degree at Oxford University in the UK and expected them to recognise it as a real degree, you can be pretty sure they would laugh you off the face of the planet.

So it really depends on what you want from your studies. Are you learning for personal interest and development, or are you learning for a future career as a clinician that will be recognised by legitimate professional registration bodies?

Take care

Adam x

RSS

About

TheBananaGirl created this Ning Network.

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

Paul Rodgers posted a video

Anger BROUGHT the JUSTICE to Washington DC. Jon Stewart (who's pro-vegan) shames leaders for 9' straight

Jon Stewart & 911 responders go to Washington D.C. for health funding, and faces empty chairs. He gives a 9 minute rant, shaming the Congressional leaders. S...
16 hours ago
allie posted a discussion
20 hours ago
allie posted a photo
20 hours ago
Paul Rodgers replied to RawVeganGamer's discussion Taking good care of your teeth with fluoride.
yesterday
Paul Rodgers replied to Silvery's discussion Is it safe to eat the water that you use to boil brocolli and cabbage?
yesterday
YellowEmperor and Courtney Beth are now friends
Monday
pradtf replied to pradtf's discussion great site with nutritional research information
Sunday
Melissa Grace replied to Melissa Grace's discussion Vegan and Raw Vegan Eco-village(s) “Total Union”
Thursday
Paul Rodgers posted a video

Megan Elizabeth and drewmorg - vegan traitors trash high-raw-vegans

drewmorg has recently interviewed Megan Elizabeth. There was talk of Megan's diet which now includes meat, and more,
Jun 13
Erick Goodman is now a member of 30 Bananas a Day!
Jun 13
Melissa Grace posted a discussion
Jun 13
pradtf replied to pradtf's discussion great site with nutritional research information
Jun 10
Jun 6
Ronnie Smith posted a blog post
Jun 4
OrganicMark posted a status
"What The Secret Space Force Really Looks Like May Surprise You! 2019-2020 #awakening #peace #truth #love #light #now http://bit.ly/2XovQZF"
Jun 4
ednshell replied to Silvery's discussion Is it safe to eat the water that you use to boil brocolli and cabbage?
Jun 3

© 2019   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service