30 Bananas a Day!

To what extent is the Glycemic Index relevant on a low fat vegan diet?

A few people on here have mentioned that the G.I of foods isn't that important as we don't eat a typical SAD diet. What are the reasons for this? And is there any scientific evidence? I am doing raw till 4, so should I be mindful? Some cooked veg are high on the index (pumpkin, carrots, baked potatoes etc).

Also to reduce the effects of gi high foods it's recommend to eat fat with the carbs. So how does the fact that we are eating low fat help with this?

Views: 1344

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The way I understand it, if you eat no fat, the insulin doesn't store any fat, it just takes the sugar to your cells.

No overt fat at all? Or just occasionally inkeeping with the ratio?

I believe some now and then (under 10%) is fine as long as you don't mix fats with sweet fruits
GI is not relevant on low fat vegan.

last weekend i ran 12 miles and the whole way i kept singing to myself carbs make you fat fat fat, i must have been running on water bottles of olive oil again. :P

eat as much carbs as you want. always stay satisfied if not full.  makes it easy when someone offers you something high in fat, fat makes you fat.  allow yourself like one avocado or a small handful of nuts a week if you want, but if you fill up on carbs, you won't have any cravings for that stuff.  it's your bodys survival method, if you're way undercarb'd/caloried, your body will crave higher calorie sources. eat abundantly.  Its a game of GETTING ENOUGH.  it's not the game of  worry about getting too much bad food like you are used to. eat carbs like a glutton if you want.  they will fuel your life!!!!

There is little scientific evidence that GI is really something to be mindful of.   This index is slightly more relevant http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insulin_index

Note how cake becomes a whole lot worse than potatoes when it factors in that you can eat 6x as much cake and that the fat in cake also effects insulin.

You should also investigate Food Insulin Index (FII)

The GI is a bit of an old school approach. Most fruits are fairly low on the GI since fructose doesn't affect your blood sugar like glucose does since it is metabolized by the liver. Your body is designed to run on sugar your blood sugar should rise then fall, rise then fall. This is not dangerous. You'll find most whole foods sit pretty low on the glycemic index. If your fat is low then the mechanism should work flawlessly. I test my blood sugar after eating mounds of fruit and I am always in a healthy range.

RSS

About

TheBananaGirl created this Ning Network.

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

Profile IconLeeanne and Eva joined 30 Bananas a Day!
19 hours ago
OrganicMark posted a status
"CNN Lays Off Staffers After Massive Ratings Drop #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light #now http://bit.ly/2EsDsDd"
20 hours ago
Profile IconHeather and Ken Ebacher joined 30 Bananas a Day!
Wednesday
Eileen A. Murphy posted a status
"Just ate my first banana, today!"
Tuesday
Profile IconEileen A. Murphy and Evan Vallee joined 30 Bananas a Day!
Monday
pradtf replied to pradtf's discussion great site with nutritional research information
May 21
OrganicMark posted a status
"Housing Bubble 2.0 - Foreclosure Filings Up in 17 States - Fannie Mae Sells Off Critical Inventory #peace #truth #now http://bit.ly/2Hskhez"
May 20
Meredith is now a member of 30 Bananas a Day!
May 17
Profile IconFedor Malkin and Karmenac33 joined 30 Bananas a Day!
May 16
pradtf replied to pradtf's discussion great site with nutritional research information
May 15
Pete Braglia and ednshell are now friends
May 14
Kelly's photo was featured
May 14
Pete Braglia is now a member of 30 Bananas a Day!
May 14
ednshell posted a discussion
May 11
Windlord's photo was featured
May 11

© 2019   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service