30 Bananas a Day!

I'm about to go into my senior year of Uni. After I graduate I really want to do some traveling, around the States and the rest of the world.

I have a lot of friends (who unfortunately live SAD lifestyles) that go hitchhiking and panhandling (e.g. playing guitar on the sidewalk for money) across the country, and I'd like to join them at some point. But backpacking and hitchhiking around I won't be able to keep much food on me at any given time, and most stores (at least in the US) don't carry fruit that's ripe. I'm wondering if it's even plausible for me to maintain a RT4 diet, or a HCRV diet, and hitchhike/backpack? I know Freelee and Durianrider travel a lot, but they usually seem to have a hotel base or something where they can stash fruit, or they're in Thailand where you can buy already ripe fruit on the street.

So...long story short...has anyone gone backpacking/hitchhiking/etc. while on this lifestyle? How did you do it? I'm thinking most of my pack will just have to be dried fruit, or something? Or am I just worrying over nothing?

Thanks for your help:]

Views: 156

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dried fruit is convenient but expense. I'd still recommend taking some, though, because, well, it's fruit! I'm going backpacking for a month and plan on taking out a ton of rice and cooking it over a fire. Rice won't get destroyed in your pack, it won't expire, and has tons of calories/carbs for its weight and volume. I plan on bringing out nuts and seeds too and sprinkling them into my rice, since rice is pretty much fat free. Nuts and seeds are also a good source of calories for their weight and volume. Maybe when you're at the store, you can get ripe fruit and just eat it right after you buy it, so it doesn't spoil/get destroyed in your pack.

I wouldn't recommend hitchhiking  anywhere in the USA unless you are with a friend or two. It sounds like your friends are doing it or have done it? I have known too many people who have been kidnapped or raped. Have you heard of Craigslist? If you are trying to get from city to city we have a website called Craigslist that has rideshares that are less sketchy than traveling with strangers (if that is what you are saying not sure)...

Any reason why you couldn't stay at hostels/arrange to stay with people online/etc as you go between cities? Then you could just cook normally... there are lots of websites with roomshares/taking in travelers, etc...

Look in to  www.couchsurfing.com for short term rooming options

It can even ID hosts with a veg lifestyle.

Hi dear,

Can't answer your Q about the food, but would like to inform that Hitchhiking is illegal in many states. Not worth it to risk putting it on your record.

Thank you for your responses!

Don't worry, I plan to go with people, and I don't intend to hitchhike on the side of the road so much, that was just the easiest way for me to summarize the general mode of transport. These are just questions floating around in my head as I think about doing this, but there's a lot more planning before I'd actually go. But I appreciate your guy's concern:]

I'm not concerned about maintaining a vegan diet, that should be doable. I'm more curious about maintaining a vegan diet that's high in fruit while on the road.

Ok got it.

Are you "backpacking in the city"? Usually backpacking is something to do away from civilization in the woods. Where are your friends sleeping at night? In tents? On the street in cardboard boxes? Hotels/motels/hostels/couches?

RSS

About

TheBananaGirl created this Ning Network.

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

pradtf replied to pradtf's discussion great site with nutritional research information
13 hours ago
ednshell posted a discussion
Friday
OrganicMark posted a status
"The Ugly Truth About Deutsche Bank's Stock Chart #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light #now http://bit.ly/2XpbXVK"
Thursday
ednshell replied to allie's discussion Facial brushing damage?
Thursday
Paul Rodgers posted a video

Anger BROUGHT the JUSTICE to Washington DC. Jon Stewart (who's pro-vegan) shames leaders for 9' straight

Jon Stewart & 911 responders go to Washington D.C. for health funding, and faces empty chairs. He gives a 9 minute rant, shaming the Congressional leaders. S...
Tuesday
allie posted a discussion
Tuesday
allie posted a photo
Tuesday
Paul Rodgers replied to RawVeganGamer's discussion Taking good care of your teeth with fluoride.
Jun 18
Paul Rodgers replied to Silvery's discussion Is it safe to eat the water that you use to boil brocolli and cabbage?
Jun 18
YellowEmperor and Courtney Beth are now friends
Jun 17
pradtf replied to pradtf's discussion great site with nutritional research information
Jun 17
Melissa Grace replied to Melissa Grace's discussion Vegan and Raw Vegan Eco-village(s) “Total Union”
Jun 14
Paul Rodgers posted a video

Megan Elizabeth and drewmorg - vegan traitors trash high-raw-vegans

drewmorg has recently interviewed Megan Elizabeth. There was talk of Megan's diet which now includes meat, and more,
Jun 13
Erick Goodman is now a member of 30 Bananas a Day!
Jun 13
Melissa Grace posted a discussion
Jun 13
Jun 10

© 2019   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service