30 Bananas a Day!

I am a science nut. I like to spend my free reading articles, which usually leads me to reading related articles, and scientific journals.  So, I came across a video recently talking about the science of over population. 

Here are some of the foot notes:

There are 7 billion people on our planet. 

200 years ago, there were only 1 billion.

Thanks to the industrial revolution, we can sustain our population. 

We are not running out of space on our planet, we have plenty.  

We produce enough food on our planet to feed 11 billion people.

Only 1% of the water on our planet is fresh, and 70% of that water is frozen in the ice caps, the other 99% is salt water. 

Most of the fresh water on our planet goes to watering lawns. (<--- this pissed me off.)

Here's the problem though....

We produce enough food on our planet to feed 11 billion people, but 1 billion people on our planet don't have enough food.  So where's all the extra food going?  To feeding live stock.  

Our planet has enough to sustain our growing populations basic needs.  Food, water, and shelter.  It doesn't have enough to sustain the needs of the rich though.  And when i say 'rich' i don't mean the 1%.  I mean most people who live in a 1 first world country, is by worldly standards, rich.  

The average person who can afford clean water, electricity, and meat, are using enough resources to accommodate 32 people in Kenya.

I just thought i'd share this with all of you as a little extra motivation to STAY VEGAN.  I don't care if you're raw, high fat, low fat, or anything in between.  You are doing your body, but most importantly the planet a favor, by not being a part of something that wastes resources to accommodate the rich.

I could go on a tangent about the use of water on our planet too, but I don't want to bore you all.  

Thanks for reading.

Views: 719

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I wish I knew you were so knowledgeable and passionate; I would have invited you to table with me and a friend at our vegan outreach table on Earth Day ;)

best i dont comment as it will be an opposing response.

And why would that be bad?

I'd like to hear your opinion..

these are my "opinions only"  - and are based on my observations. 

also would you believe, i hate word comms over the internet - im not a word person but hey, ill do my best for you.

Here are some of the foot notes:

There are 7 billion people on our planet. 

200 years ago, there were only 1 billion.

Thanks to the industrial revolution, we can sustain our population. 

we are not sustaining our population, we are dying from disease (such as cancer) than any other period in history.

incorrect - the eco system required to keep all earthlings healthy is no big enough to support the over population of humans and their excessive behaviours.

We produce enough food on our planet to feed 11 billion people.

for example the USA produces nutrient deficient stock feed for animals raised for human consumption and those animals are having to be slaughtered younger and younger because they are getting too much disease - the USA can no longer produce human grade fruit and veggies to support is entire population because its farm lands are incapable of doing so. The majority of human grade fresh food comes from third world countries and is shipped in.

Only 1% of the water on our planet is fresh, and 70% of that water is frozen in the ice caps, the other 99% is salt water. 

Most of the fresh water on our planet goes to watering lawns. (<--- this pissed me off.)

There has never been a drop of water produced new on this planet since is birth - the water you have in your body this minute has been pissed out, sucked up and recycled through billions of years of mouths, bowels, plant life, etc etc - all water is recycled and cleaned by nature as it has done from the beginning - the problem is humans are polluting water quicker than nature can purify it.

Here's the problem though....

We produce enough food on our planet to feed 11 billion people, but 1 billion people on our planet don't have enough food.  So where's all the extra food going?  To feeding live stock.  

these stats fit a western country such as the USA.

Our planet has enough to sustain our growing populations basic needs.  Food, water, and shelter.  

no it doesnt - our current rate of consumption in the food, water and shelter departments are not sustainable. 

It doesn't have enough to sustain the needs of the rich though.  And when i say 'rich' i don't mean the 1%.  I mean most people who live in a 1 first world country, is by worldly standards, rich.

its important for, as you put it "first world countries" to remember that "third world countries" are not necessarily places of out of control starvation, disease and lack of education - its fastly becoming a fact that third world countries have better food, healthier, and far better mental stability than first world countries.

The average person who can afford clean water, electricity, and meat, are using enough resources to accommodate 32 people in Kenya.

clean water is free & collected from the sky, electricity is not essential for healthy living and the only resources one needs - is to be a link in a sustainable + healthy + bio-organic eco system which first countries are not.

I just thought i'd share this with all of you as a little extra motivation to STAY VEGAN.  I don't care if you're raw, high fat, low fat, or anything in between.  You are doing your body, but most importantly the planet a favor, by not being a part of something that wastes resources to accommodate the rich.

I could go on a tangent about the use of water on our planet too, but I don't want to bore you all.  

personal note - hey nemal - its great to read & hear your thoughts, thanks for taking your good time to throw things out on a discussion and get the ball rolling on some serious thought provoking stuff - i DO KNOW where your coming from and i do hear what your meaning between your words - like you, i am passionate about our environment, how our species is behaves and i am also passionate about taking care of the amazing world you and i are a part of - there are indeed many things that show our guilt as we gaze on our very dirty human footprint - for its not just food, water that are issues today but these are the common ones folk relate to.

im going to make a bold statement here - humans have have already run out of room on this planet - now im going to define "room" because most relate to it as a dimensional land space but its much more than this - we have run out of clean organic healthy room which includes these rooms - light pollution, electromagnetic pollution, atmosphere pollution, genetic manipulation pollution, communication/social pollution,  these are just to name a few. 

the planets toxicity is at defcon 1 and its because of us that its reached this point - defcon 1 is defined by the premature death and genetic deterioration of all living organisms that inhabit this planet and which are required for "sustainable" life.

like you, i too can talk passionately long on these subjects - but its when we know when to stop talking and start doing with like minded folk that the sun starts coming out, peace from another earthling.

Actually I am not the person who started this discussion. That's Sky Diaz. But thanks for responding anyways ;)

I think it's dangerous to assume that it's okay to sustain our excessive consumption habits. Maybe there is enough space on this planet for 11 billions people, maybe not (What about wildlife?). But one thing is certain, we have to change our lifestyle in a big way and and not only our eating habits.

Seems like you, VW, and sky agree on most points, you are just approaching things from a somewhat different perspective. Most of your rebuttal points are very much right, but they don't in any way negate what sky is saying.

Vegan Witch I completely agree with you. The planet is definitely overpopulated. Sky Diaz, I'd recommend looking at some of these sites.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/phytoplankton-population/

"About 30% of the global total land area is covered by forests, this amounts to just under 40 million km2. This corresponds to an area roughly the size of a football field for every person on the planet" - http://www.greenfacts.org/en/forests/index.htm#2

"Like the demographics of Africa in general, Kenya is plagued by high infant mortality, low life expectancy, malnourishment (32%of population) and HIV/AIDS" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Kenya

http://www.worldometers.info/world-population/

If we were to continue living the way we do, regardless of how much livestock will be saved, Earth would not be worth living on. It doesn't matter how environmentally friendly you think you are, Earth can't sustain 7 billion people. As human beings, we should be responsible and intelligent enough as a species to recognize that and stop overpopulation and stop clearing land for real estate or food sources like farms and pastures for animals. And honestly, if you gave a damn about another human being and read those notes on Kenya, you'd realise that even if every country in the world sent aid, there are still men, women and children out there in Kenya suffering and dying because that country can't support the number of people currently living there.

Great stats!  Got a link to the video that you mentioned?

But wildlife, especially large wildlife, is being squeezed out.  Animals need their space as well, surely the more we can leave just to them, the better?  I personally believe that the fewer humans there are on the planet, the better.  We're nuthin' but trouble.

Thankyou for this!!! <3

In addition to food going to livestock, thousands of tonnes of food are destroyed every single day to artificially keep prices high. We live in the midst of deliberately engineered scarcity despite having the means for everyone to live abundantly. Why? So that we have to sell our bodies and time as labour.

If you think that so much evidence points in the opposite direction why don't you share such points with us? I know that there are experts who suggest that there are too many people on the planet. You hear and read a lot about over population. But there are also some scientists who think that humankind can grow and it is still possible to feed everyone.

I do not think that the thoughts of Sky Diaz are ludicrous.

RSS

About

TheBananaGirl created this Ning Network.

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

Michael Lanfield posted a video

Return to the Gentle Sea by Michael Lanfield with Music by Dr. Will Tuttle, PhD (Full Audiobook)

Return to the Gentle Sea: For the Love That Lives in Everyone is a book on spiritual healing and cultural transformation on the human relationship to nonhuman animals. It explains how living in a herding culture, eating animals and their secretions,…
6 hours ago
Michael Lanfield commented on ednshell's video
7 hours ago
Michael Lanfield and Olga are now friends
7 hours ago
Raw Aussie Athlete and Lil Green Coconut are now friends
8 hours ago
ednshell replied to Tams's discussion Best vegan retreats ?
yesterday
ednshell posted a video

Take Back Your Power 2017 (Official) - smart meter documentary

This award-winning film documents the real story on smart meters. + Subscribe for free EMF guide & help stop 'smart' meters and 5G: https://TakeBackYourPower...
yesterday
ednshell posted a discussion
yesterday
Profile Iconmichael wilson, Savannah Holte, tori jacobs and 2 more joined 30 Bananas a Day!
yesterday
OrganicMark posted a status
"QE4 "Not A QE" Begins: Fed Starts Buying $60BN In Bills Per Month Beginning Next Week #awakening #peace #truth #light http://j.mp/2M9cmoQ"
Friday
Rock and Tams are now friends
Friday
Tams posted a discussion
Friday
"Powell says the Fed will start expanding its balance sheet ‘soon’ in response to funding issues #peace #truth #light http://j.mp/30Zc8ol"
Thursday
"As Hong Kong ATMs Run Out Of Cash, Central Bank Steps In To Prevent "Panic Among The Public" #peace #truth #love #light http://j.mp/35aHziW"
Oct 7
"Financial Crisis at PMC - India Leaves Thousands Crying For Their Money! Bank Runs Lead To Withdrawal Limits #truth http://j.mp/2oiRdPW"
Oct 7
"Economic Collapse News - The Fed Extends Repo Operations Through Nov, Retail Job Cuts 2019 #peace #truth #love #light http://j.mp/35exba7"
Oct 7
"Economic Collapse News - The Fed Extends Repo Operations Through Nov, Retail Job Cuts 2019 #peace #truth #love #light http://j.mp/35exba7"
Oct 6

© 2019   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service