30 Bananas a Day!

Hello all!

I don't normally post here, but I'm usually lurking around and reading tons... :)

Right now I'm in a bind and I'm freaking out! I would love some feedback or anything to calm me! And I apologize in advanced because this is so very long...

Here's my problem: 

Because I am still "in recovery" from my eating disorder, my mother insists on taking me to see a therapist, nutritionist, and medical doctor. I see myself as nearly 100% recovered now, and that only happened after adopting this diet and following it to a T. As far as the doctors go, the therapist I'm fine with, but the other two refuse to accept or even entertain the notion that this diet is healthy! 

I explained an average day to my nutritionist being: 

• Breakfast: 9-10 bananas
  • core exercises for about 30 minutes then a 30-50 minute bike ride or a 20 minute run
  • mid morning post workout snack: 7-15 dates and a 4-6 banana smoothie with whatever greens are available (celery, spinach, romaine, etc...)
  • Lunch: 5-6 bananas or a whole melon, or 5-7 mangoes
  • dinner: 1lb of mixed greens (spinach, red leaf lettuce, romaine etc...) 4 tomatoes, whatever other veggies are on hand, (celery, snap peas, sometimes carrots) and a dressing of some sort, usually consisting of 2 mangoes, a handful of scallions, a tomato, and a date

She then proceeded to tell me that I wasn't getting ANY protein or fat! God forbid I eat don't eat nuts and avocados! I tried to explain to her that fruits and vegetables have all the protein and fat we need already in them in the correct quantities and that eating nuts would skew the ratio because they have far more fat than protein, but she wouldn't hear it. She (and my mother) kept saying that they weren't the right kinds of proteins and fats and I got so worked up and felt so cornered I started crying. They aren't the right kinds, yet I'm gaining weight as muscle, I can bike ride farther everyday, want to explore and smile and share my happiness with others because I have more boundless child like energy than ever before! But they aren't the right kinds so clearly I must have low energy, be freezing all the time because I never eat fat and exhibit signs of protein deficiency! Its funny, because these things she expects were all the side effects of eating nothing as when I was deeply in my eating disorder. I just wish everyone would understand how amazing I feel when I eat this way! It isn't fair. They say it is wrong and weird and crazy and unhealthy yet they have no idea. They have never read the things I've read or seen the things I've seen. They haven't tried it, they've only heard of it and think it crazy but they don't know how great I feel!

She also continuously mentioned that there were no long term studdies on the health effects of this diet. I said sure, she had me there because I didn't know of any off the top of my head, but I'm wasn't really looking at studies of people, I was looking at the actual people! So many examples exist on this site alone of all the successes! Just look at Durianrider and Freelee for crying out loud! I wish I could have told her that I like to take advice from people who are actually fit. Sure she looks relatively decent as far as health goes but clearly doesn't exercises and only god knows what is going on inside her body.

She tried to convince me that I should at least look into tofu and soy milk and I cringed. I kept thinking, why should I?! I get every nutrient I need from my diet besides vitamin D, which I go out in the sun around noon everyday to absorb, and B-12 which I take a supplement for. I eventually ended up telling her I would look into soy milk and that seemed to placate her a bit. But still, here is the biggest problem:

She had my medical doctor order a blood test for my albumin levels. She is concerned that my protein level is dangerously low. I agreed that if the test came back and was indeed lower than average as she so passionately expects, I would look into increasing my protein intake. 

But I don't want to! I don't want to change anything. I am finally happy and getting healthier by the day as I feel my body thank me each time I eat and exercise and sleep.

I'm nervous that the test will come back low and then everything will come crashing down around me. I'm nervous that I'll be pressured into eating stupid GMO soybean products, or other less than optimal foods like quinoa, beans, or rice. The last time I had rice, I thought I was going to be sick! The taste is disgusting without salt and sauces. I don't know how I could change my ways now that I have found my groove and love every single meal! I finally love life again! Not to mention my disordered thoughts have practically vanished! I know that if I go back to a cooked diet the thoughts will return and I will be sucked into my eating disorder again. 

I feel lost and scared and I wish I could be confident that my protein levels will be quite normal but I feel that its a toss up at this point!

Views: 1936

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The World Health Organization supports a calorie density ratio of 80/10/10. Show him/her proof of this.

Show him/her your Cron-o-Meter ratios for every day. (I hope you use cron-o-meter- if not then start!) http://cronometer.com/

and show her how you are PERFECTLY fine.

Then, just to be sure, find out what university that your nutritionist, doctor and therapist got their degrees from.( It is public knowledge and you have a right to know. You doctor should have a plaque on his/her wall and the secretary has to tell you if you call and ask) If it is a state or public university, then whatever nutrition plan they must follow would be mandated by the government, which would say that the adequate amount of carbohydrate, protein and fat ratios are 80/10/10. If it is a private university, then I am not sure. :D

Been where you are. It sucks if you're a minor because you can't just say F U and do as you please. Ugh! I hate how people think doctor's word is GOD. GRR!!

Keep healing yourself girl!!

I'm having a pretty hard time finding anything from the WHO or US government RDA's to support the claim you make that they agree with the 80/10/10 ratio. You ask that she shows her nutritionist proof of this. Can't you provide the proof right here so she doesn't have to search around for it like I am? I'm not coming up with anything and I won't be reading any 150-300 page documents the WHO puts out any time soon. I'd like to know where you found this information. 

Thanks.

I also can't find much on the 80/10/10 ratio being supported by the government...

But I do know what you mean! Everyone thinks a doctors word is the end all of everything! I can't help but then wonder why so many people are sick and dying.

Thanks though! I know this lifestyle is right for me and as you said, I need to carry on healing!

On the Notmilk site, they refer to WHO and other organizations recommending 10 or 11% protein.  I know this isn't the primary source, but it's a nice summary and might reassure those who are worried.

http://www.notmilk.com/protein.html

Also, though I can't site his slides, Rick Dina did an awesome presentation last summer at the Raw Vegan Health Expo about meeting our protein needs.  He analyzed the various essential amino acids in many plant foods, and showed that almost every single plant food, if you eat enough of it to meet your calorie needs, will supply over the needed amount of all the essentials.  They almost all exceeded the proportions in human breast milk too.

The only foods that wouldn't supply quite enough protein if they were the only source of calories were very few - I think I remember macadamia nuts and apples, but don't quote me on that one.  However, as soon as you add some green leafy veggies and other fruits into the mix, there was no way you could avoid getting enough protein as long as you were eating sufficient calories. Or unless you were to eat a lot of white sugar or oil (foods that had their protein removed by processing.)

I've had my blood tested for literally EVERYTHING in the book twice since I've been on this diet (2 and a half years), and they always come out great. I don't think you've anything to fear, unless you're not eating enough quantities.

Well other people's test results here have shown the protein level to be completely normal, so I think it will be.

If you are 18, I would tell them all to go screw off. And never go to another Dr. appointment again. You are an adult and know what's best for you. The test is going to be great btw :) 

I would love to do that! And ever since I've turned 18 I've seriously considered it on many occasions. But right now I'm financially dependent on my mother like you wouldn't believe. I go to all these appointments because she wants me to. If I refused and told everyone to screw off (even though I really wish they would) I would run into trouble. I don't know how I'd pay for the rest of college or any food or transportation or clothes or... well... really anything! I do have a job that starts up this weekend and I'm looking into getting another one but as of right now all my mom pays for everything. 

So I'm hearing that you feel really scared and are longing for trust and support and autonomy?  Just wanting to feel secure?  Maybe wanting your intent to get healthy to be seen and trusted by your mom?

yes. I want what I'm doing to be "right" and okay and healthy. I suppose I just want to be accepted for the person I have become. It is so difficult when certain things hinge on stupid things like blood tests and weight gain. I wish that my mother could see just how healthy this diet has made me and is still making me!

I'm sure your mother loves you very much but people have their own agendas, which often have nothing to do with you.  You blood tests could come back perfect and you can have healthy hair and nails and glowing skin and if your mother is not ready to accept this lifestyle, you could stub your toe and she could tell you the lifestyle is making your clumsy.  This is a great community, and it's wonderful to be surrounded by so many like-minded people, and to see our numbers growing every day, but we have to remember this lifestyle, to most people, is radical.  It's like we are among the first group of people to accept that the world is round, not flat, and we need to give others time to catch up!

RSS

About

TheBananaGirl created this Ning Network.

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

© 2019   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service