30 Bananas a Day!

Hi traveling folks,

Terra Frutis ( https://www.facebook.com/TerraFrutis ) is a fruitarian community/permaculture food forest in southeast Ecuador. It is located on 326 acres of land with a large banana grove and a small number of other fruiting trees including abiu, papaya, zapote, araza, soursop, and mandarin orange. We recently received an order of over 200 baby fruit trees including 120 durians, and our nursery also includes jackfruit, rollinia, salak, marang, mangosteen, and others.

We are currently looking for new long-term members, and you are welcome to visit and check it out for a few weeks or months if you like. We need people who are interested in staying here long-term and being a part of our fruit forest. You are especially needed if you are experienced in working with tropical fruit trees and permaculture farming/gardening, construction with wood, bamboo, or clay, graphic design/marketing, or emergency first aid. You can come here and build a bamboo house on the land if you'd like.

More information about the location and other details are on the website here: https://www.TerraFrutis.com

If you have questions you can reply here, or you can send me a PM on 30BaD, or you can send an email to: terrafrutis.ecuador@gmail.com

-Peter

Views: 3296

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Personally$50-$100 varies on what i eat and what we pick. I know Peter usually spends less than $50 a week and maybe eats $5 of my foods i share with who ever like tomatoes, avocados. On www.terrafrutis.com I beleive we have a list of some food prices. 

Here it is from the site

• Avocados: 3 for $1 
  • Papayas: 1 for $0.25-$1.50 
  • Pineapples: 1 for $0.75-$1.50 
  • Regular bananas: 20 for $1 
  • Oritos (small bananas): 50 for $1 
  • Oranges: 4-15 for $1 

Ill add that Mangoes are 2-6 for $1 mostly in season August to February.
    Watermelons $2-$5
    Cantelopes $1.50 about

wow it sounds amazing. i wanna come out and help.

wow your lucky you have such a great nursery source for fruit, i checked out their selection. it's pretty amazing.

yeah i read durian can reportedly fruit up to  790 metres.

best of luck to you guys and your project. i might check you guys out in the future.

We're planting most of the durian at around 750-800 meters so we're cutting it kinda close ;-)

But according to the avg annual temp graph it should fruit no prob

That looks amazing, I'm envious :)

don't feel envy, feel welcome and empowered to do it yourself! 

Testimonial from a friends friend who went there.. Did not turn out to be what they stated?

Hey Edward The people from terramana are very open and friendly and I really enjoyed to spend time with them. At the moment there are three people and they stay most of the time on the land. To reach it one has to walk for 45 minutes up and down and to cross six rivers. They live already since more than a year on the land but I have no idea what the did in this time. They have a couple of big tarps installed for shelter and they're all sleeping in hammocks. At the moment they are 0% self sufficient and they buy 100% of the food on the local market (and carry it all the way to the land). Choice is very very limited. I even started to eat some rice because I couldn't get enough good quality ripe fruits. They told me it's different in the durian/mangosteen season. Then they have an abundance of this two fruits and they buy only vegetables from the market. Ask if you want to know more details. 

Hi Sun Fruit Dan. Please pay a little more attention. The testimonial you posted is for "Terra Mana" which is in Indonesia. This thread is for "Terra Frutis," which is in Ecuador, on the other side of the planet. ;-)

Hey, I have a bunch of questions :)

1. Could you estimate how many people your food production can sustain in the near future? Now I understand it's 1-4 people. How do you think it will look like in one year?
  2. If one stays there as a long term member, what would be the working terms? How many hours of work a day? Eventually, you'll have a fruit forest that requires practially no labor right? So then there shouldn't be a need for work? What I'm thinking is, you guys are building this up, so if one is going to stay there, then one should compensate you for everything that one is taking part of that you have produced/paid for (e.g. fruit from fruit trees, and also the land which you paid for I guess), but then when all that is compensated for, and when the fruit forest is eventually producing fruit for free, one should be able to live there for free right? :D How do you think around that?

3. What about diseases/viruses there? Like malaria? Are there any risks to be aware of, especially as someone who's unfamiliar to a tropical climate?
  4. Dangerous animals, like snakes?
  5. How hot can it get during the day? What would be the highest temperature recorded during one year, and how common is it for the temperature to go that high or nearly that high? And how humid is the climate? I'm asking because I'm worried if a person from a northern climate can handle the heat. Also, is the sunlight strong? I guess since you're planting new trees, you work a lot in sunny areas (not shady). Is that something one will adapt to do you think?
  6. What's the risk of natural disasters there?

7. What about criminality around the area you live in? From what I understand it's quite high in some cities of Ecuador.

1. In near future it's still 1-4. It's hard to say exactly because we're not just talking in production but also in variety. If we produced only bananas (which is close to the case right now) even if we produced 12,000 calories per day that still technically wouldn't be sufficient for 4 people. In one year it should be more as we have planted quite a few papaya trees. Those go from seed to fruit in roughly a year or less. But again, it's hard to estimate. It also depends how much short-yield stuff we plant within the next few months.

2. There is no formal expectation of X number of hours, there is just the general expectation that everyone comes here wants to plant fruit trees, create a permaculture fruit forest, live a natural lifestyle, escape babylon and the monetary system, and be a jungle warrior. People who want to sit around on the internet, go into town all the time, or lounge around doing nothing, will quickly find that this is not the place for them ;-)

Much of the fruit currently producing was planted by previous owners. So there is not really a "claim" on this as you describe. That said, of course, we would hope that in the future we have so much abundance of fruit that there is no need to worry about who planted which tree. People also have the option to simply create their own homestead, plant up their own hectare, and eat the fruit they grow there. Until they are producing enough fruit on their homestead, the rest of the fruit is just shared amongst everybody and we purchase whatever is not provided by the land or foraged from neighboring land.

We want to refrain from creating any sort of obligatory money-based system for living here because one of our goals is to help end reliance on the incredibly destructive government-mandated fiat currency systems.

That said, if I plant a papaya tree on a piece of land I pick as my homestead, and I want to sell those papayas to somebody else, that is between me and that person, lol.

3. There is almost no malaria or leishmania. There is a little bit of dengue and chikungunya as well as H1N1. In some parts of Ecuador there is a chikungunya epidemic but not in this province. With a few precautions (wearing long sleeves when working in wet jungle areas in the early morning, etc) one can avoid these things, and by eating healthily, the risk of serious complications from these types of diseases are pretty low.

4. As with everywhere else in the world except for Antarctica and a few evolutionarily isolated islands, there are poisonous snakes. They are rare. I have only seen one snake here since December. There are also poisonous spiders like the brazilian wandering spider which is a pretty huge spider. Taking basic precautions removes virtually all your risk of getting bit, and of course, knowing what to do if you are bit, helps a great deal.

5. In this area, average nighttime temp year-round is 14-16c and average daytime temp is 24-26C although it can get a bit hotter in mid-day if it's been really sunny for a couple days. The climate is tropical yet mild. I grew up in northeast USA and it gets way hotter in the summer in Connecticut than it ever gets here. The humidity is pretty constant but not anything like Florida, i.e. I never really notice it being "muggy." The temperature is pretty consistent throughout the year, it is virtually seasonless aside from that one half of the year is slightly drier and one half is slightly wetter.

The sun is strong but there is plenty of cloud cover, often there is partly cloudy, full sun, and rain, all in one day. I have less of a tan than I had in Florida. But yes, working out in the sun you'll want a sun hat and sleeves much of the time.

6. There are no hurricanes or particularly strong storms. We are protected by the Andes. There is a possibility of earthquake.

7. Criminality is extremely low here. We are in the Oriente, the inland region that includes part of the Amazon basin and the foothills of the Andes. The big cities and the coastal tourist party towns tend to have significant crime. Still safer than Detroit, though, lol.

Thanks a lot!!

2. That sounds great! I will say that I plan to use the internet a lot for activism to save the world. However I will happily plant fruit trees etc. as well - since that's part of the solution, and you gotta move your body during the day to stay healthy anyway - especially in the beginning before an abundance of fruit trees may be present.

3. Have anyone at Terra Frutis become sick any time and how well did they cope with it?

4. Venomous, not poisonous ;)

Sickness, yes. Many people will get sick a few times after moving to the tropics - different bugs, different bacteria, etc. Also, "culture shock," while often not noticeable, can bring the immune system down quite a bit so people are more susceptible to illness after moving to a different country.

I got food poisoning from an avocado once, I got some mosquito-borne illness either chikungunya or dengue, I got a random fever/sickness that lasted 2 weeks. Jason got leishmania while traveling in a different part of Ecuador (there is almost no leishmania here.) Another guy got a mosquito-born illness, a girl recently got food poisoning. No one has died yet lol, everyone seems to recover well. There is almost no malaria/parasitic diseases/etc here.

RSS

About

TheBananaGirl created this Ning Network.

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

Cassie K added a discussion to the group Self Sufficiency using Permaculture
yesterday
Cassie K commented on Jay Don't Cook's group Self Sufficiency using Permaculture
yesterday
Cassie K commented on Jay Don't Cook's group Self Sufficiency using Permaculture
yesterday
Laura Kuchy commented on Tiff Hawkins's blog post Too Exciting
Friday
Profile IconLaura Kuchy and Peter H joined 30 Bananas a Day!
Wednesday
Raw Mormon Mommy posted a status
"How do I edit my profile?"
Tuesday
OrganicMark posted a status
"OBAMAGATE 1: CRIME OF THE CENTURY #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light https://j.mp/2WVPNbe"
May 19
Profile IconSuzanne, SunBeaming, Rhonda Miga and 1 more joined 30 Bananas a Day!
May 17
"PlanDemic - Banned Documentary #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light https://bit.ly/2xJvrK0"
May 15
"What They Don’t Want You To Know About Covid-19. Dropping Bombs (Ep 264) Dr. Rashid Buttar #peace #truth #love #light https://j.mp/2T4hGwE"
May 15
"COVID-19 documentary by Janet Ossebaard | Part 4 #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light https://j.mp/35Q1zYN"
May 12
"COVID-19 documentary by Janet Ossebaard | Part 1-3 #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light https://j.mp/2WJLXlv"
May 12
Lazy food left a comment for Valisa Monyei
May 6
Lazy food left a comment for Joe Heinrich
May 6
Lazy food posted a status
"I’m either fruiting or fasting. Currently Fasting!"
May 6
Valentin Otto and Shvara are now friends
May 5

© 2020   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service