30 Bananas a Day!

Hi traveling folks,

Terra Frutis ( https://www.facebook.com/TerraFrutis ) is a fruitarian community/permaculture food forest in southeast Ecuador. It is located on 326 acres of land with a large banana grove and a small number of other fruiting trees including abiu, papaya, zapote, araza, soursop, and mandarin orange. We recently received an order of over 200 baby fruit trees including 120 durians, and our nursery also includes jackfruit, rollinia, salak, marang, mangosteen, and others.

We are currently looking for new long-term members, and you are welcome to visit and check it out for a few weeks or months if you like. We need people who are interested in staying here long-term and being a part of our fruit forest. You are especially needed if you are experienced in working with tropical fruit trees and permaculture farming/gardening, construction with wood, bamboo, or clay, graphic design/marketing, or emergency first aid. You can come here and build a bamboo house on the land if you'd like.

More information about the location and other details are on the website here: https://www.TerraFrutis.com

If you have questions you can reply here, or you can send me a PM on 30BaD, or you can send an email to: terrafrutis.ecuador@gmail.com

-Peter

Views: 3293

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Peter! I would like to join, what should I do for that? :-)

Hey RainbowFruityGuy, feel free to send us an email at terrafrutis.ecuador@gmail.com, with any questions you may have, as well as some info about yourself - your interests, philosophies, experience, why you are interested in Terra Frutis, etc.

This is true! Peter gives accurate information on the Regular!

To clarify, Not that kind of Resume! I assume they would include things like "can carry 2 banana racks 500 meters in 7 Minutes easy" or "Knows how to plant Rollinia and enjoys waking up early to the sound of birds and blenders" etc. Pertinent things you know!

-Jungle Warrior Jason

I would love to do this--especially in the winter months haha

:)

Hop on over! :-P

we can help u find cheapish tickets and u can return to your garden come spring! WE LOVE GREEN THUMBS!

Hahah, awesome, thanks.

could you please tell me where you sourced your baby fruit trees from.  there aren't any nurseries in ecuador selling durian are there?  will durian grow well in your climate, your in the highlands if im not mistaken arent you?

was the process hard for getting a phytosanitary certificate for cross border import of fruit trees? 

Hey Julian,

We got our durian, marang, cempedak, and some other things, from Jim West's nursery (http://www.guaycuyacu.net/) in northwest Ecuador - actually it is his neighbors who maintain the nursery. So yes, there is a nursery selling durians in Ecuador, thankfully. We kind of cleaned 'em out, not sure how many durians they have left but I'm sure they're starting more.

Our elevation is between 750 meters (at the river) and 1200 meters (at the top of the mountain.) We are planting most of the durians down by the river. The climate should be great for them. Average daytime temp is 24 throughout the year, average nighttime is 15, though I'm not sure at which elevation this reading was taken - I imagine it's even a little warmer by the river. There is a guy two towns south who has some young durian trees that are doing great.

Hi, How many people are living and working on your project at terra fruits? and what is everyone eating? I mean, do you have to buy food in? or is it able to feed you from the fruit production?

Our land produces tons of Orito bananas and plantains (tasty raw), lots of oranges, mandarins and some lemons. Ice cream bean fruits, should be more abiu next year since we trimmed most the trees this year. our one mango tree may produce more also thanks to trimming. Papaya we can collect from our neighbors as well as various other fruits they love to share with us. more or less that is it. I may be forgetting a few things that Peter can correct me on. The current food production can sustain 1-4 people depending on the harvesting routines. There are also Pineapples but not many yet! Yucca a root tuber ( needs to be cooked) and various greens and wild greens, onions sweet potatoes air potatoes and more random edible foods. 

The current Population is 3 people not including myself becasue I am in the usa for approx. 3 months visiting family and then returning with a wide array of fruit seeds and plants in august. More people come and go for shorter periods which I do not include in this number. At times we consisted of over 10 people with short term people. 

Currently much of the food for myself is purchased at the wonderful Gualaguiza market which has a nice selection of locally grown fruits and organic greens on saturday morning. There is seasonal fruit shippedi n from across Ecuador and some apples and stuff imported from Chile.

-Jungle Warrior Jason

How much money do you usually spend on food a week?

RSS

About

TheBananaGirl created this Ning Network.

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

ednshell replied to Silvery's discussion What are some vitamins you recommend?
Saturday
Profile IconStephen Leonard Bub and Carolin joined 30 Bananas a Day!
Saturday
ednshell replied to ednshell's discussion Top German Scientist questions COVID19 response in open letter to Merkel
Saturday
ednshell posted a discussion
Saturday
OrganicMark posted a status
"DUD PARTS Coronavirus testing delayed after kits found to be contaminated by Covid-19 #NoVaccine #organic #fruits https://j.mp/3aDW0ye"
Thursday
Samantha Marie Alvarez left a comment for Scooby the Cantaloupe Kid
Wednesday
Samantha Marie Alvarez and Scooby the Cantaloupe Kid are now friends
Wednesday
Meurig Rowlands is now a member of 30 Bananas a Day!
Wednesday
Samantha Marie Alvarez posted a discussion
Wednesday
Mika M is now a member of 30 Bananas a Day!
Mar 30
"Bahrain, Belgium Report COVID-19 Treatment Touted By Trump Working For Patients #organic #fruits #vegetables #health https://j.mp/39p6zno"
Mar 27
Cassie K and DreamsofFreedom are now friends
Mar 27
Cassie K added a discussion to the group Gardening for food and fun.
Mar 27
Sarah Troyer and Kevin are now friends
Mar 20
"Visualizing The History Of Pandemics... By Death Toll #NoVaccine #organic #fruits #vegetables #health #longevity http://j.mp/2x0ghPI"
Mar 18
ednshell commented on OrganicMark's status
Mar 16

© 2020   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service