30 Bananas a Day!

I'm a long time vegan recently gone LFRV/HCRV.

I'm LOVING it so far, feeling amazing, vibrant, healthy... but I can't help but feel bad about how much imported food I'm consuming.

Coconut, mango, bananas, dates, avocado, almonds, raw cacao, agave, etc... SO delicious, but SO not from British Columbia!! haha

My partner is an organic farmer and we try really hard to do local in season foods wherever possible. We only buy organic - ever.

SO - that said, I realize I can't win every battle - I have to choose what is most important. Vegan, wheat-free and organic are non-negotiable in my books - but the sustainability of consuming all these delicious tropical foods has been nagging at me in the back of my mind.

Thoughts?

Views: 700

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If you're still craving chocolate and desserts, you're not eating enough fruit. This whole diet is dessert! Ditch the agave, it's just processed BS.

yep yep "Support organic fruit forests in other parts of the world." - what he said  ;)

At this point I do not feel much guilt, not sure if that will change in the future or not.  I do have "guilt" about the environmental issues and political oil crises, but as for the fruit itself, no.

And here is why.  First, we all inherited a messed up world with many  problems that started before our birth.  What I am trying to do is take what I need with minimal harm to others, and right now, it is winter where I live, and most of my produce is imported, even if it is from my country, it might be thousands of miles away.

The next thing is that by buying fruit, and especially fruit that grows on trees, we are promoting healthy agriculture not only at home, but abroad.  We are voting with our dollars to increase produce available at the store.  They in turn, by following their logistics supply lines, are buying from farmers who are growing orchards and fruit and veggie farms.This sends a message both at home and internationally that fruit is what should be planted on farmland verses the destructive crops like wheat and or animal products. 

What do I  like about trees?  Their roots hold soil in place and prevent erosion of topsoil, they provide our lfrv sustenance, they anchor the land and soil in times of floods and typhoons, and instead of contributing to emission problems, they are either neutral or draw it out of the air. 

So for, with what I have inherited, I am ok with eating imported food. 

Peace, PK

no guilt no shame no blame.  easy . why worry the world is abundant

Do they sell the organic fruit you need locally? If so then buy it.. if not, what else could you do?

I am so glad to see you on here!!! Look into the effects of supporting the economic viability of orchards/fruit forests! locally and abroad. Even the Ringing Cedars series predicts that fruit and veggie/ green production will is the up and coming business/industry of a sustainable economy

Actually I think sloganssuch as 'locally grow' and 'food miles' are rather simplistic.

You have to weigh the cost versus beneifts of importing food.

Bananas are grown in tropical regions where they have optimal conditions and as such they have higher yields. They may be shipped all the way from South American to Europe but becuase bananas are bulked shipped the cost of per banana amounts to only a fraction of the cost the banana. Just imagine trying to grow bananas in parts of Europe! They would need to be grown in a glasshouse and shipped by road, mostly. The growing of these bananas would take up more land than in South America. Overall the environmental impact would be far greater than growing them as they are in tropical regions.

That's just an illustration. Food that should be grow locally is food that is suited to the climatic conditions of the area. That way higher yields are obtained. There is no way that many countries (examples Britain, Japan) can grow all their own food especially fruits and vegetables without a hugh escalation in costs.

By all means buy food that is local however don't feel guilty sourcing fruit and veg that may have been imported especially from tropical regions. Actually this provides income for many developing nations.

In short you can see that the idea of 'food miles' and 'eating locally' are not a simple equations.  Slogans may sound nice but they are usually too simplistic and not taking into consideration a vast array of factors. 

I think we get to this place where we love the planet and its animals (and maybe even its people) so much that we just want our choices to be PERFECT and impact-free, and that's not realistic for most of us in the present moment.  And even if we were perfect and impact-free, we're just a very tiny fraction of the population.  We have to find a way to keep our spirit alive and hopeful while accepting the reality that we are not going to save the world overnight.  

Healthy, happy, vibrant people attract others to make positive changes, and that's where we can make the most difference.  What if you, by being where you are and eating HCRV and looking great and feeling good, what if you convinced 10 or 20 other people to adopt this lifestyle?  How much positive impact would that have on the environment, as opposed to eating 100% local?  Obviously, eating as much fresh local produce as you can, like you are already doing, and convincing others to do the same, would be a part of that positive impact.   

Be realistic. They aren't going stop importing these foods because you stop eating them, and since a lot of people don't eat them or in large quantity they are just going to go to waste anyway. 

I think it is more nuanced than that. We shape the rest of the world by our actions. If you don't buy a certain food, a tiny bit less of it will be made or the businesses will lose profit. Everyone want maximum profit, so every business will adjust their production/marketing/etc according to demand.

But one person can only reduce the production of something by how much they usually would buy. One person won't change the whole world, just their own private world and a small part of the rest.

You could grow your own food, but I find that it's best to accept that we're doing our part by growing ourselves, expanding our consciousness, and composting (thus creating little waste) by eating fresh fruit!

RSS

About

TheBananaGirl created this Ning Network.

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

Aysel is now friends with Houdini Steve Owens and Sugalena
Wednesday
OrganicMark posted a status
"Why the 2008 Housing Crisis Recovery Is Just an Illusion (w/ Keith Jurow) #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #light http://j.mp/2ODSZ93"
Tuesday
"Not Transitory - Fed Liquidity Handout Surges To Near $90 Billion #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light http://j.mp/35F4Sl5"
Tuesday
Frugisaurus and Alex Curtis-Slep are now friends
Monday
Michael Lanfield posted a video

Return to the Gentle Sea by Michael Lanfield with Music by Dr. Will Tuttle, PhD (Full Audiobook)

Return to the Gentle Sea: For the Love That Lives in Everyone is a book on spiritual healing and cultural transformation on the human relationship to nonhuman animals. It explains how living in a herding culture, eating animals and their secretions,…
Sunday
Michael Lanfield commented on ednshell's video
Sunday
Michael Lanfield and Olga are now friends
Sunday
Raw Aussie Athlete and Lil Green Coconut are now friends
Sunday
ednshell replied to Tams's discussion Best vegan retreats ?
Oct 13
ednshell posted a video

Take Back Your Power 2017 (Official) - smart meter documentary

This award-winning film documents the real story on smart meters. + Subscribe for free EMF guide & help stop 'smart' meters and 5G: https://TakeBackYourPower...
Oct 13
ednshell posted a discussion
Oct 13
Profile Iconmichael wilson, Savannah Holte, tori jacobs and 2 more joined 30 Bananas a Day!
Oct 13
"QE4 "Not A QE" Begins: Fed Starts Buying $60BN In Bills Per Month Beginning Next Week #awakening #peace #truth #light http://j.mp/2M9cmoQ"
Oct 12
Rock and Tams are now friends
Oct 12
Tams posted a discussion
Oct 11
"Powell says the Fed will start expanding its balance sheet ‘soon’ in response to funding issues #peace #truth #light http://j.mp/30Zc8ol"
Oct 11

© 2019   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service