30 Bananas a Day!

One of my greatest dreams is to buy a piece of land near a lake I love.  Spend my spare time planting fruit trees everywhere, playing loud music and kayaking.

The other day I started thinking how amazing it'd be to plant a giant tree.  Something that would inspire people hundreds of years from now. So I did some research into the top ten trees in the world and if any would grow at my lake.

For your interest, here is  the top ten tree list off wiki:

Tallest trees

The following are now accepted as the top nine tallest reliably measured species (taken only currently standing specimens):

1. Coast Redwood (Sequoia sempervirens): 115.56 m (379.1 ft), Hyperion, Redwood National Park, California, United States[11]
  2. Australian Mountain-ash (Eucalyptus regnans): 99.6 m (327 ft), south of Hobart, Tasmania, Australia[12]
  3. Coast Douglas-fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii): 99.4 m (326 ft), Brummit Creek, Coos County, Oregon, United States[13]
  4. Sitka Spruce (Picea sitchensis): 96.7 m (317 ft), Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park, California, United States[14]
  5. Giant Sequoia (Sequoiadendron giganteum): 94.9 m (311 ft), Redwood Mountain Grove, Kings Canyon National Park, California, United States[15]
  6. Tasmanian Blue Gum (Eucalyptus globulus): 90.7 m (298 ft), Tasmania, Australia[16]
  7. Manna Gum (Eucalyptus viminalis): 89 m (292 ft), Evercreech Forest Reserve, Tasmania, Australia[16]
  8. Shorea faguetiana: 88.3 m (290 ft) Tawau Hills National Park, in Sabah on the island of Borneo[17]
  9. Alpine Ash (Eucalyptus delegatensis): 87.9 m (288 ft), Tasmania, Australia[16]

A Coast Redwood:

So I started researching these and discovered an immediate problem.  You can't just grow one, or even a few giants alone.  Because of their disproportionate size to everything else around they become magnets for lighting strikes and strong winds and can't survive.

This concept stuck with me and I started to realise that maybe life is like that too.  Whether you're a tree or a fruitarian human, without a community of creatures like you around to stand with and to support you, you eventually get worn down and broken by the destructive forces in the world. 

Anyway, I'm considering a bigger block of land so I can grow a couple hundred 300foot Australian Mountain Ash.  Will post an update in 60 years :)

Views: 978

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Intriguing info and insight, BB. 

Strength in numbers indeed.

Will await your update with bated breath :)

Remember, we're not alone ...  The animal world eats the way they should too :)

Your fascination with giant trees and comparison with them and us for the way that we stand out in society is interesting and I really hope that you get your chance to plant some of these giant trees and watch them grow.

Speaking of lightning, did you know the Earth gets hit by lightning 6,000 times per minute? 

I want to watch a documentary about really big trees now :)

RSS

About

TheBananaGirl created this Ning Network.

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

Profile IconHeather and Ken Ebacher joined 30 Bananas a Day!
3 hours ago
Eileen A. Murphy posted a status
"Just ate my first banana, today!"
yesterday
Profile IconEileen A. Murphy and Evan Vallee joined 30 Bananas a Day!
Monday
pradtf replied to pradtf's discussion great site with nutritional research information
Monday
OrganicMark posted a status
"Housing Bubble 2.0 - Foreclosure Filings Up in 17 States - Fannie Mae Sells Off Critical Inventory #peace #truth #now http://bit.ly/2Hskhez"
Sunday
Meredith is now a member of 30 Bananas a Day!
May 17
Profile IconFedor Malkin and Karmenac33 joined 30 Bananas a Day!
May 16
pradtf replied to pradtf's discussion great site with nutritional research information
May 15
Pete Braglia and ednshell are now friends
May 14
Kelly's photo was featured
May 14
Pete Braglia is now a member of 30 Bananas a Day!
May 14
ednshell posted a discussion
May 11
Windlord's photo was featured
May 11
Paul Rodgers posted a video

Now you can't be vegan 'cause... Mineral levels in plants are depleted. LifeRegenerator lacks sense

LifeRegenerator appears on RawKristina's video and repeats what an anti-vegan told me days before... that mineral levels in plant foods have depleted by 85 percent
May 11
Valentin Otto is now a member of 30 Bananas a Day!
May 11

© 2019   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service