30 Bananas a Day!

Some folks seem to gain weight, while others appear to lose it right away or at least stay steady on this lifestyle. For those of us who gain on the RT4 lifestyle, is there any interest in starting a group within this site to offer each other support? Perhaps one exists already that I can be directed to? It would be nice to hear from those, who maybe gained weight for a year on RT4, but then lost it. I have run across maybe three or four women in that category who have shared here (thank you!). Maybe there are others??

As for a little about me, I have been on this lifestyle for almost 2 months, which I realize is nothing in terms of an adequate healing process. Some days seem fun, smashing in those carbs, while others are more of a struggle. 

Busting out of my clothes, digging through my closet for tent dresses in order to give my body a hide-away/cocoon/space for its process -- even in the name of optimal long-term health -- requires stamina that some days can falter. 

And, I know I can't expect those closest to me to see the light of this lifestyle without seeing results first, so on I plod, downing banana & date smoothie after banana & date smoothie, smiling to myself as I think, "They don't know what they are missing." ; )

My original intent in coming to this lifestyle was to detox from nuts and unsweetened chocolate, which I ate in excessive quantities (sometimes 1 lb of almonds or pumpkin seeds a day, half lb of 100% cacao chocolate a day). I was also otherwise bored with my diet, which comprised mostly of (& often raw) sweet potatoes, kale, carrots, chickpeas, apples, chia seeds, almond milk, other green leafies, squash, unlimited salt and coconut oil or avocados, Vega shakes. Occasionally, I would have eggs, cheese, or fish, maybe a couple times of year, but they mostly gross me out, so I am relieved to have found a lifestyle that says I don't need them. I was bulimic in my teens and 20's, but have managed it (i.e. no purging) in the past decades by my food choices including limited carbs, but lots of plant fat. 

I was what I thought was a normal weight = 125 lbs, 5'4", age mid-forties. I hiked a lot and did yoga. I ran several marathons in my mid-thirties, but don't currently run. I haven't weighed in since starting the lifestyle, but I can go and find a scale if that would be helpful. I am just aware of jiggling arms and legs, and stomach rolls, where there were none before, a swollen neck/chin, and clothes that are no longer comfortable to wear. Often I feel like a walking water balloon, especially after a meal.

A typical day for me calorie-wise has steadily been increasing from 2800 to 3200 to 3600. I had a few 3800 hundred days, followed by 7000 calories yesterday!! Maybe it's just that I have never counted calories before, but that felt like a record!

It also made me want to check in and see if this is what I am supposed to be doing for optimal health and weight loss? So, yesterday, I ate 20 bananas, 25 medjool dates, 1.5 boxes of corn fusilli with 2 cups of peas and a can of low sodium chopped tomatoes with three small baked potatoes & a tablespoon of lo-salt, no-fat salsa, black pepper and freshly squeezed lemon. 

First and second meals (8 am & 11:30 am) were this tasty banana ice cream float I make --basically, a 10 medjool dateorade with spoonful after spoonful of ice-cream that I make by just putting 6-10 frozen bananas in my Vitamix. At 4 pm, I ate 1/3 of the above pasta-potato combo, and then finished the remaining 2/3 at 6:30 pm. 

I drank 5.5 liters of water thru out the day, peed 15 times (day & night, as I have to get up a couple times to pee), walked for 1.5 hours in the afternoon sunshine, and slept from 10 pm to 6 am that night. 

This has been a pretty typical day, except that I usually have romaine lettuce or arugula with a choice or combo of rice, pasta or potato with the above seasonings for dinner. Peas are my "fat" when I haven't had an avocado in 1.5 weeks and don't have one on hand. And sometimes I only walk for 40 minutes. I used to do yoga, but I am too full and/or bloated these days to want to move like that, so I'll pick up some hand weights or do some squats instead.

I have been on vacation for the past few weeks (it ends next week), so stress has been low, as well as giving me an opportunity to explore this forum and youtube and learn what I can. I recently ran across two separate RT4 women, who have switched to a Starch Solution-based diet and are now getting results that they did not get after a year on RT4, which has given me some pause. I'm wondering if I should I try that, stay with RT4, go to Banana Island, return to my old eating, as those around me think I should…. Maybe you can see why I thought a gainers' group might be helpful. : )

I love the idea of my cells swelling up, so that they can one day release any accumulated toxins. I love the idea of achieving optimal cellular function and unlimited energy once the debris is gone. I love banana ice-cream in my life, although I think I am allergic to unripe ones (i.e. normal, yellow vs brown, sweet and soft), which I had to learn that the hard way and from all of you. ; )

I picture my cells doing their important house-cleaning right now. My skin feels smooth and soft. I have had some break-outs around my mouth since starting the lifestyle, but I am guessing that is just detox, whereas before starting the lifestyle, my cells were just hanging on to stuff. My nuts and chocolate addiction ended by Day 2 on this lifestyle -- I almost forgot that!

If I feel tears trying to come on at night, because I am uncomfortably hot or my skin is expanding on my neck, the back of my arms, my back, my belly, my butt, my calves, even my fingers and toes sometimes can ache, I remind myself that things often need to feel their worst in order to feel their best. I recite, "Go to bed Buddha & Wake up Ghandi."

I love Freelee's inspiring video presence and look forward to watching them each night, Durian's never-ending conviction that there are no long-term fat HCLF vegans, and all of your brave and honest and helpful posts. I love the animals and this planet, and what can be more motivating than that.

So there you go. This is me -- hiding behind the pic of a smiling banana & a tent dress in real life. Sorry for the length & detail. Any insights or suggestions would be welcome, and let me know if you need any more info in order to evaluate. 

And many thanks to all of you for your past posts, extraordinary support you've shown each other & the tons of helpful info you've put out there over the years. You have kept me going this far!

Views: 3884

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi, Sally, I hope someone else with more experience on this lifestyle will chime in to offer suggestions, as I am still in the gaining phase. I can't wait for the day when I can share my story about how I gained, and then lost. : )

One thing I can offer is that 57 kg at 5'4" sounds healthy. I know there is body fat % to consider, but 37 kg sounds too thin for sure, so there's gotta be some balancing out time. Have you noticed a slow down in the gain or are you still gaining the same amount each week?

I agree about liking the lifestyle from the planetary health and friends-to-the-animals viewpoint. I also understand how tempting it is to calorie restrict. I am feeling at the moment that the only way through this weight gain-healing phase is through it. I have tried a few things here and there -- different fruits, more cooked, more raw -- but I keep coming back to the original RT4 plan, and everywhere I hear that consistency is key, so I am trying not to make any too drastic changes.

Thanks for sharing. Please do keep us posted on how you're doing. Good luck! : )

Thanks, Bryan, for weighing in -- seems like a pun. ; ) Yes, you hit the nail on the head for me -- stay the course or try new things to see what works best for me.

On the one hand, I like the idea of keeping with something in order to give it adequate time for a proper test. On the other, it is deciphering when that time has come to go more raw or to try more starch. It can make it very confusing to know what to do/eat sometimes. : )

Prior to this lifestyle, I thought I couldn't eat bananas, dates and cooked starches without gaining weight, which made me curious to try this lifestyle out, with its emphasis on allowing the body to heal its capacity to process these foods.

I was basically raw before, but I don't think I was doing it right -- minimal fruit, too many nuts & seeds (& chocolate), no grains, mostly veg often in smoothies. I found this lifestyle, while trying to find out how to be better at raw, ironically.

The other piece I'll add is that my thirst has been crazy, at least in this initial phase of this lifestyle. I'm drinking water, not because I'm forcing myself, but because I can't get enough of it. 

Where I am right now is happy, energetic brain (no choco pick-up needed) & painful body. Maybe I could cope with the weight-gain if my body wasn't in so much pain -- I could barely sleep last night. Alas. 

Still, it is awesome to have a community open to these conversations. So thank you for allowing my latest ramble! Truly, many thank you's!

Sunny--

Thanks for this thread.  I have been frustrated about my results as well.  I was trying Rt4 for just over 2 months, and I gained 6 lbs (and having 15 to lose when I started).  I was already eating cleanly, so this weight gain was not very welcome.  I feel so uncomfortable!  I've gone back to more of a McDougall style these past 10 days, and I will ramp up my exercise (I was previously exercising 3-4x/week).  Like you, I have kicked my chocolate craving (I used to have a square or two of dark chocolate in the afternoon), and I also stopped drinking coffee (1-2 cups/day).

I would love for this lifestyle to work for me.  I, too, love the feeling of being fully carbed!  I am thinking that I may get closer to my target weight and try again.   

In the meantime, I think that your idea for a "gaining group" is good.  I moved the scale to the guest bathroom and tried not to worry about it, but my clothes were getting tighter, and I was stunned to see how much I had gained on 2400-2700 cals a day (with a few 3000 cal days tossed in).  I have been exercising too!  

I am with you girl, the thing is I gain 2 lbs and then lose them and then gain again... I had similar breakout around my mouth area too! I am trusting the diet but its still frustrating to see the lbs going up... ah... 

How many lbs did you gain? I wish there is some sort of guideline about when you'll start loosing weight... :( maybe I am being impatient and so used to the other weird diets I've been following... 

I'm sort of in the middle of nowhere right now, but I will be back to civilization later in the week. I may know then if I hop on a scale as to wt gain. In terms of wt loss signs, I think the day the bloat stops may be one of them. Can't wait!

Hi Sunny, This is a great idea :) I was RT4 about 10 months and gained a lot. I have recently switched to Raw with the advise from some of the beautiful 30Bad community. I'm feeling a lot better, however no visible weight results as of yet.

The main thing I keep telling myself is this time tomorrow I will be closer to my weight and health goal :)

Feeling better is awesome! Yay for you! Do you do fruit for dinner or salads or both now? Yes, tomorrow is a great a rallying call!

Hey All!  I just wanted to jump on this post and share a bit of info.   I can personally relate to the weight gain.  I am at around 53 pounds as of today.  I have been at this lifestyle now for over 510 days.  Of that gain, I did need to gain approx. 20 pounds of it.  I have never had an eating disorder of any kind, but I was definitely an exercise enthusiast!  Working out became a hobby for me which led me to becoming a personal trainer.  I used to run 1/2 marathons up until I became "ill" with some sort of gut damage or who knows what else.  I come from a family with horrible genes.  Mother is morbidly obese living with type 2 diabetes, thyroid issues, alopecia, just had a quad bypass surgery.  Same with my aunts and uncles.  All type 2 diabetics, heart attacks took most of them between the ages of 50-60.  Just lost a cousin at the age of 47.  I am going to be 43 next week.  So....maybe I am destined to be like them.  Ever since I was in my early 20's, I vowed to not live an unhealthy lifestyle.  I still ate a standard diet, but I like to think it was better than most people.  Was not a big consumer of animal products.  I always told people I was a carb addict as I could eat tons of potatoes, noodles, beans, and fruit without ever touching a single bite of meat.  Then along came my P90x and online coaching.  I got heavy heavy heavy into doing P90x and pulling what I call double workouts.  It was not uncommon for me to walk on 5-10% inclines for 45 minutes on the treadmill and do part of a p90x workout in the same day.  I was led to believe the more protein the better.  So.....I loaded up.  I started training for a fitness photoshoot for my 40th birthday gift to myself.  I was told to cut the salt and the carbs in order to get the cut body I was going for (I was not a personal trainer at the time, but I was teaching group fitness).  I saw others doing the exact same lifestyle for bikini competitions.  There I was in the middle of it all still thinking lean chicken, green beans, limited fruits and veggies was all health-conscious foods.  One day, I went for a 1 mile sprint run, trying to beat my time.  2 days later I was doubled over with bladder spasms and unable to function.  I was dealing with all over histamine reactions to foods, exhaust, burning leaves, everything.  I lost about 25 pounds in a matter of 1 month, maybe less.  I am 5'8" and my weight was steadily dropping.  I was not absorbing nutrients.  I found an integrative doctor and he had me start probiotics, vitamin d drops, and a paleo diet, which was close to the bodybuilding diet, so I was not sure how I got sick in the first place.  My symptoms only got worse on his protocol.  I tried paleo and supplements for approx. 10 months and then  I found 80/10/10.  I jumped ship and tried to turn my life around.  I suffered with the abdominal pains for almost 1 year when I decided to abandon all my docs and there was a lot.  You can read my other posts or subscribe to my youtube channel for more details.  At any rate, I got down to around 100-105 lbs and I was scared I was dying.  I hid my body under loose clothing, I did not want to be thin like that.  So, when I found 80/10/10, I am sure my metabolism was totally hosed up from my high protein days, followed by paleo.  I am now over 155 pounds.  Yes, I am not happy with it and it is very embarrassing as a personal trainer to now have fat on my gut - literally fat.  My thighs are now 5 inches bigger on each leg.  It sucks.  BUT BUT BUT.......my pain is pretty much gone.  It was getting worse with all other ways of life.  I still have many symptoms to heal, but I rarely have abdominal/pelvic pain or spasms.  But, the weight gain still continues to this day.  I know in time, my body will find its way back to where it 'wants' to be.  Like I said, I used to be the queen of beans, potatoes, corn, peas, etc.  I am working my way back to the way my body naturally wanted to live before I interrupted it with the high protein (animal protein) diet.  I have gained back some stamina/endurance, but I cannot run much these days.  However, I can lift just as heavy as I could prior to getting sick.  Again long story short, do not let the weight gain get in your way of healing.  Look at my pics, it is obvious I gained and gained and gained.  Still gaining.  But I will be a person who will heal and I will post those pics, too, to give others hope.

I have been pretty silent on the boards lately, been focused on myself and trying to find ultimate balance.  I will try to take a recent pic to post for the record.  Hugs to all you beautiful vegan friends.  :)  

womg i was waiting forever for a thing like this xD
THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE!! 

I literally turned into a lard butt. I have never been this big - even post pregnancy I was smaller! I keep thinking 'tomorrow is the day' that the weight will start to melt off but it is not happening. My frame is so small that it cannot handle my increased weight and I cannot run anymore. :( A few months ago I was able to jog, but my knees cannot do it now. I think I may be 'the one' who will be fat long term with this lifestyle. :/. It will be 17 months come Sept 3.
It is really sad - I care for a few younger kids when I do not have personal training clients. The other day, one of them asked me why my nose got bigger and why my chin looks funny. Kids have no filter and say it like it is.
This is me trying to wear my shorts from around 1 year ago. I kept all my clothes thinking I could wear them again.
Attachments:

RSS

About

TheBananaGirl created this Ning Network.

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

OrganicMark posted a status
"Something Just Broke In China As Repo Rate Soars To 1,000% Overnight #awakening #peace #truth #love #light #now http://bit.ly/32A0ORD"
11 hours ago
"Shocking News about Salem Media and the CIA #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light #now http://bit.ly/2xTX7bz"
22 hours ago
"Iran Offers Nuclear Deal If US Lifts Sanctions; Oil Tumbles #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light #now http://bit.ly/2JPO80q"
yesterday
"Bank Run: Deutsche Bank Clients Are Pulling $1 Billion A Day #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light #now http://bit.ly/2XQ3Nqr"
yesterday
Rock and Nemo are now friends
Tuesday
"#SerialBrain2 - Winning: Trump now controls the chemtrails! (Pt.2) #awakening #peace #truth #love #light #now http://bit.ly/2GbYV48"
Sunday
"Housing Bubble 2.0 - Foreclosure Filing Onslaught is On the Way #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light #now http://bit.ly/2JFxuAL"
Sunday
Profile Iconchungculands, Deya Storm, Luke Robinson and 1 more joined 30 Bananas a Day!
Sunday
pradtf replied to pradtf's discussion great site with nutritional research information
Sunday
Tanya Popovic left a comment for Rebecca
Jul 12
Rebecca left a comment for Rebecca
Jul 12
Profile Iconcal bates, mark wilcox, Claire Hyun and 4 more joined 30 Bananas a Day!
Jul 11
Eddie (Mecca Date Farm) replied to Eddie (Mecca Date Farm)'s discussion Semi Dry Medjool Dates, 20 # for $67.00 US. from meccadatefarm.com
Jul 10
Eddie (Mecca Date Farm) posted a discussion
Jul 10
"Deutsche Bank will exit global equities business and slash 18,000 jobs in sweeping overhaul #truth #love #light #now https://cnb.cx/2LFElN9"
Jul 8
pradtf replied to pradtf's discussion great site with nutritional research information
Jul 8

© 2019   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service