30 Bananas a Day!

Hello people of the banana world :)

So, I've been completely dedicated to the Raw Til four thing since 2011, going 100% raw 8/1/1 for a few months in between here and there. I have a family history of heart disease and high cholesterol (father, his father, and his father etc etc all had several heart attacks) and I suppose I thought a low fat vegan diet would keep me clear of any of those problems. I don't eat any fats at all no avocados, no nuts, no oils. I've been eating fruit during the day and smashing in potatoes and rice at night. I recently decided to get some blood tests done to see where I was at and the results blew me away...

Homocysteine: 12.6 umol/l

LIPID PROFILE:

>Cholesterol 7.1 mmol/L

>LDL Cholesterol 5.5 mmol/L

>HDL Cholesterol 1.0 mmol/L

>Non HDL Cholesterol 6.1 mmol/L

I was shocked to see my cholesterol levels so high! And my HDL is too low.. I went to see a holistic doc to discuss the results hoping I would find better advice than a conventional doctor. He told me I had to cut potatoes (and all nightshades) and rice out of my diet as they are causing a spike in my cholesterol.. 

Now I feel at a total loss.. I can't consume enough calories to succeed 100% raw so where am I going to get my calories from now? I guess I always associated high cholesterol with meat eaters and those who consumed a high percentange of fat... Not low fat fruit/root bats.. 

Anyone else experienced something similar?

xoxoxo

Views: 870

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks so much for all the replies guys! <3 Just going to have to sorrowfully cut out the starches for a while and go back for blood tests and see what comes from that. 

I'm not buying that either. How long have you been vegan? Did you have your blood work before you started eating rice and potatoes? My guess is that you don't exercise much and you don't get anywhere close to 2,000 calories per day from fruit. I love rice and potatoes too but if you are trying to fix high cholesterol after eating SAD for years, you really should try raw vegan foods instead of cooked taters. Once your cholesterol is down to where you want it, then you could introduce starches back into your diet it you wanted too. Do you own a bicycle? Do you belong to a gym?

Been Vegan since Feb 2011. I do need more exercise. And no, I struggle to get anywhere near 2,000 calories from fruit even though I eat it all day long, that's why I supplemented with potatoes and rice to fill the deficit. I've started exercising again and I'm slowly cutting out starches..only time and more blood tests will tell though..

Well you are on the right track. Just start exercising a little more each day. Rice and potatoes aren't going to hurt you but just start eating more fruit and salads. If you eat enough of the raw foods you'll automatically cut back on the rice and potatoes. For me to get enough fruit, I have to smoothie it or I just can't get enough. That huge smoothie first thing in the morning just starts the day off right! Good luck Cheynana!

@Cheynana, 

Do you eat lettuce greens and nuts and seeds?  Nuts are a great way to get calories up quickly when going higher raw.  

Peace, PK

Yep, it is true, some people can get high cholesterol on a vegan diet, and many of our Raw to 4 members have high cholesterol, triglycerides, and lipid profiles.  

Good news is that the cholesterol your body makes is friendly cholesterol, and so far, many members who do have higher levels may not have any side effects that we know of yet.  

Reasons include history of being underweight and underfed and body will produce more lipids until genetic weight is achieved,  genetics, medications, and or body reacting to toxins in cooked and starchy foods.  Triglycerides can also increase if vitamin D levels are low.  

May be try to go fully raw, or at least get more calories from raw fruits n nuts n seeds n lettuce greens during the day, and save the rice and potatoes as a treat.  In Asia, rice is often eaten in 1/2-1 cup quantities, and the focus is on veggies and fruit.  

Peace, PK

RSS

About

TheBananaGirl created this Ning Network.

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

OrganicMark posted a status
"12 Reasons Why Negative Rates Will Devastate The World #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light #now http://j.mp/31FPK4a"
43 minutes ago
"Recession Countdown Begins: Treasury 2s10s Yield Curve Inverts For 1st Time In 12 Yrs; 30Y Yield Drops To All Time Low http://j.mp/2Z56cte"
yesterday
Frugisaurus posted a discussion
Aug 12
Frugisaurus and Cyril are now friends
Aug 12
pradtf replied to pradtf's discussion great site with nutritional research information
Aug 12
"It’s Time To Expose These False Flags - Episode 1937c #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light #now http://j.mp/2YBDept"
Aug 8
Frugisaurus and fruity78 are now friends
Aug 6
Carol Gay Fagerhaugh posted a status
"Hi ! 30 Bananas ! Can anyone direct me to a fruit and veggie calorie list? Thanks CG"
Aug 5
Profile IconA. Fruitarian and Alex Smith joined 30 Bananas a Day!
Aug 5
pradtf replied to pradtf's discussion great site with nutritional research information
Aug 5
"Google 'Very Biased At Every Level' And 'Will Attempt To Influence 2020 Election': Former Engineer #truth #light #now http://bit.ly/2yDhzxz"
Aug 5
ﻻan mangostan commented on Marina's group I'm single, you're single. Let's mingle!
Aug 3
"Trump can be President beyond 2024 #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light #now http://bit.ly/332C6cZ"
Aug 3
"The Fasting Cure Is No Fad #organic #fruits #vegetables #health #weightloss #longevity https://on.wsj.com/2LX3XWx"
Aug 3
Jelle replied to FruitinLove's discussion Does everybody have a soulmate? in the group I'm single, you're single. Let's mingle!
Aug 2
Frugisaurus and Jelle are now friends
Aug 2

© 2019   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service