thanks, maybe I should have let it ripen even more, though it was kinda moldy at the bottom and it tasted very sweet. Or maybe eat one fruit at a time :)
In fact sometimes I have the same burning feeling after eating not too ripe kiwi fruits. So it might be related to ripeness.
I think there is some enzyme in it that gives people trouble. I dont know much about it maybe google it. but my wife swears raw pineable makes her feel like she has hair in her mouth. but she can eat it out of a can no problem. Supposivly its more common then i realize.
yes, it must be the enzyme. According to this article:
Pineapples contain a proteolytic enzyme called bromelain, which helps break down foods and is even used as a meat tenderizer. As a matter of fact, it is rumored that people who pick pineapples often lose their fingerprints after a few years as the chemical eats away at the skin. In any event, this sensation -- which some compare to touching a 9-volt battery to your tongue -- is generally due to this enzyme. It has no long-term effects as the mouth's cells reproduce very quickly
So my mouth is tenderized, awesome :D
And yes, the same feeling as licking a 9V battery, hehe
yup happened to me too. id get like a cut on the inside of my mouth
exactly, I feel it burnt the skin right out of my tongue :)
yeah, I think they would fall off if I ripened them with the leaves at the bottom :)