30 Bananas a Day!

Overcoming Gravity by Steve Low, 500 page bodyweight strength training manual

So I'm back on 30bad after a "hiatus" shall we say. I've been shovelling in the low fat high carb grub in the meantime, and working out consistently with little but my own bodyweight. Before my time away from 30bad I was talking a lot about Convict Conditioning. The most recent piece of literature that I've read on training bodyweight for strength is Overcoming Gravity by Steve Low.

Steve has an extensive background in strength gymnastics, parkour and is a student in physical therapy. This book really lays out the hows and whys of calisthenics, and it will really satisfy someone who is looking to take up one of these styles of training.

I've hardly any time for weightlifting and things such as that when compared with parkour and busting out handstands, human flags and other cool, fun bodyweight tricks. If you're at all inclined like myself then the combo of Convict Conditioning and Overcoming Gravity is going to enrich your practice.

I encourage you to find your own style of training that really clicks with you

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Overcoming-Gravity-Systematic-Gymnastics-Bo...

Views: 633

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nothing says fluid strength like being able to control your own body.

Got any vids of your recent progress, Craig?

Nah, I don't have any new videos. Truth be told, I'd rather refrain from making a lot of noise about my practice unless I either have something to share, or something awesome to show off. Who knows, we shall see. Some of the best benefits I feel are psychological. Don't get me wrong though I'm getting fairly strong, teehee.

Just got a calisthenic workout frame for the house...aha - looking to get a bench, (again) next!

will check out the book :)

Got a photo of the frame? I always like to see what folk are using.

Sort of, this is the frame I got, (for Christmas) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VKR-Pull-Dip-Power-Tower-Chin-Up-Bar-Stat...

It'll be coming to the festival along with gravity boots and some climbing, pull-up attachments, (and bench)!

Hi:) This book sounds really intresting! Now I'm in the stage of my life when i gave up all this fitness shit(no offence to anyone;p) and started enjoying sports that always interested me, like martial arts, parkour, skating. they may seem diffrent, however each of them require strenght, flexibility, technique... i think you know what i mean. I started doing kickboxing, (no other martial arts classes in my town), however its not ideal. i would like to concentrate more on sports like freerunning or parkour, but to be honest im complete laik and im not sure how to start and obviously i dont want to hurt myself. does this book help people with no experince? do you think it's safe to start learning all this tricks by myself?

To be clear, what the author does in this manual is not strictly anything to do with parkour but instead the development of high levels of strength and proprioceptive intelligence (or body awareness) which carries over splendidly into practices like parkour and martial arts. 

I really believe that parkour is for all levels of ability, as you can simply begin your training in a setting that suits your current skill catalog. It's your practice and not anyone else's, so don't be concerned about copying the advanced and flashy stuff that we tend to get exposed to with parkour. You also don't need to find the perfect spots to do some training. I live in the countryside now and what I do is lay some spare paving slabs down and I precision jump on them, with the goal of improving power and accuracy. Sprinting is phenomenal training and maybe even necessary for parkour, and fortunately all we need for that is space and good form. 

Here is a nice video by Thomas Tapp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-hsTfOPKX8

And here is one of mine that you can hopefully take some ideas from
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2gK1OtfVFA

Subscribe on youtube and/or FB to: Al Kavadlo, Ido Portal, Tim Shieff, Gold Medal Bodies, Fortress They are some good guys for learning how to train strength.

Parkour-wise there's an ocean of material out there but unfortunately a lot of tutorials are of very poor quality. 

I recommend setting yourself goals like "obtain whatever vault" so that you have something concrete to pursue and to tell you you're improving when you get it

Craig can you please speak to the importance of working out being a part of a daily routine? Im at a point where i find it is very important to be consistent everyday with anything you truly want to improve at, even though its tough while working full time and handling life stuff. Im currently doing 100 squats a day, training is something for mostly weekends and one or two nights a week (i go super though with distance endurance sports). How would someone incorporate this book into a 30 minute daily routine without trying to do too much? How should they start? What type of baby steps?

I think regarding it as working out is the greatest obstacle to high level results. If someone has a "workout routine" like I do where I train strength monday, wednesday and friday then that means tuesday and thursday can be given to skill-based work like that of parkour or your chosen activity, as long as it's of a technical focus rather than a strength training focus - the training of flow, grace and technique basically. This I do not consider working out, it's just movement. Strength days I am willing to call workouts.

Are you saying that you already have a 30 minute routine? In any case, there is a continuum that looks like this:  Strength-----------------------------Endurance
As you get closer to pure endurance the volume necessarily must go exponentially higher, and therefore the amount of time you have to spend doing it to get an effective stimulus- an example would be cycling on flat terrain. You can save time by choosing strength-based work, because by the very nature of their difficulty you cannot do it for very long and so you can get an effective workout in very little time. For example I can only physically manage 6 one-leg squats in a row for one set. It doesn't take very long to get the sets for this exercise completed, and my legs are roasted today from them. 

What kind of baby steps do you mean? For what exactly?

You answered my question. For shorter workouts high intensity and less reps can mean less time, assuming the program/goals etc, make sense. I will check it out and reply back with questions. Thank you.

RSS

About

TheBananaGirl created this Ning Network.

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

Paul Rodgers replied to RawVeganGamer's discussion Taking good care of your teeth with fluoride.
10 hours ago
Paul Rodgers replied to Silvery's discussion Is it safe to eat the water that you use to boil brocolli and cabbage?
11 hours ago
YellowEmperor and Courtney Beth are now friends
yesterday
pradtf replied to pradtf's discussion great site with nutritional research information
yesterday
Melissa Grace replied to Melissa Grace's discussion Vegan and Raw Vegan Eco-village(s) “Total Union”
Thursday
Paul Rodgers posted a video

Megan Elizabeth and drewmorg - vegan traitors trash high-raw-vegans

drewmorg has recently interviewed Megan Elizabeth. There was talk of Megan's diet which now includes meat, and more,
Thursday
Erick Goodman is now a member of 30 Bananas a Day!
Thursday
Melissa Grace posted a discussion
Wednesday
pradtf replied to pradtf's discussion great site with nutritional research information
Jun 10
Jun 6
Ronnie Smith posted a blog post
Jun 4
OrganicMark posted a status
"What The Secret Space Force Really Looks Like May Surprise You! 2019-2020 #awakening #peace #truth #love #light #now http://bit.ly/2XovQZF"
Jun 4
ednshell replied to Silvery's discussion Is it safe to eat the water that you use to boil brocolli and cabbage?
Jun 3
OrganicMark posted a status
"INSIDERS & EXPERTS: AG BARR IS ABOUT TO DECLASSIFY DOCS THAT IMPLICATE BARRY IN THE SPYING OF TRUMP. #truth #now http://bit.ly/2wyUDyE"
Jun 2
Silvery posted a discussion
Jun 1
Silvery and Windlord are now friends
Jun 1

© 2019   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service