30 Bananas a Day!

Every time I talk to someone about why going vegan is the "right" thing to do it ends up with them saying one of these:

-I don't care about animals.

-I don't care about the environment

-I don't care about health

-You don't have the right to tell me what i should and shouldn't do

-You literally cannot convince me to do anything no matter how reasonable it is and how many reasons you give me for it. I'm going to do whatever I feel like because I don't take anything seriously and I don't give a shit about anything.

How are you supposed to convince these people? They have so much cognitive dissonance that I feel like you couldn't even convince them that the earth was round if it someone disagreed with their current belief systems.

One option that I see is only trying with people who you think are open to ideas and willing to change their actions based on the reasons that you give them. Then once there are a lot of vegans, the harder to convince vegans will be more likely to go vegan because peer pressure is one of the strongest forces in convincing people to do something.

Im really looking forward to any ideas you all have :)

Views: 366

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yep agreed William. Mateos' argument does not take into consideration that there are other beings involved. You shouldn't have the right to do what you want if it hurts another being in the process. It's not like say... smoking in private where the only person you hurt is yourself...there are other earthly beings who will suffer for your poor choices. The fact is when you're right you're right and no amount of force, judgement or discomfort will ever convince me to join the "meat crew" ewww :( Also surely a bit of activism is all our responsibility...to stand up for those who are abused but do not have a voice to do so for themselves?!? 

Hey William...thanks for starting this thread..I have enjoyed reading everyones contributions :) Carol 'speaks' beautifully doesn't she?!? :) 

I live in an area with a lot of hunters, big dirty trucks, lots of meat in everything, and camo everywhere, and I mean even pink camo. You can't "convince" people to change. You have to invite their interest-show by your health and activities that your diet works. When people ask about what you are eating and why you eat that way, just be careful and watch the tone. People can come across wrong and turn people off without even realizing it. I have to watch all my expressions, voice tone and body language for my job so I am very aware of what we all do without realizing it. Explaining what made you change your diet, without going to extreme details right away, will spark more interest, and questions. As much as I want to verbally tear up some obese friends who think bacon as a spice is fantastic, I choose not to. When they ask why I look much younger than my age, or why I have no wrinkles, I point out the food. Doing that led one friend to totally change his diet. I didn't try and make him live like me, I invited his interest to try some things for himself. I am not saying your approach is a turn-off, but just be aware of your approach. If they say they don't give a shit, just let it go, and tell them you don't give a shit about listening to their sickness and weight issues. Good luck to you~

*raises hand* I was one of those people at one point in my life! I didn't say all the typical things meat eaters say but I definitely was in denial about the suffering of animals and the cause it was having on my health. My best friend went vegan and I was annoyed for about 6 months. She pleaded with me to go vegan "For the animals, don't you care about them?" and day after day as I began to take control of my OWN journey I learned more and more about what a vegan lifestyle means. I struggled really bad at first. It took a lot of time, and a ton of mistakes but I can say that eventually all of what I learned hit me like a ton of freaking bricks and I could no longer deny what was in front of my face.  It just takes some people time to wake up! Be the example, keep talking and informing people, and try to not get discouraged when people say messed up stuff- they know deep down what the truth is. 

I so agree with you JazzDemi that deep down they know the truth. That little smirk that crosses their faces after a vegan discussion when they know they got nothing to come back with, tells me that they know deep down what is right and what is wrong...it's just buried under there pretty deep :) 

RSS

About

TheBananaGirl created this Ning Network.

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

Peter posted a status
"First roller of 2020,didn't get any last year ,had a frost and I cut them back hard,then worst drought. can't remember them being so sweet."
yesterday
Peter posted photos
yesterday
Peter posted a status
"Could help.that should read."
yesterday
Peter posted a status
"I can't remember how to post a photo if anyone couldchelp?tia"
yesterday
Cassie K added a discussion to the group Self Sufficiency using Permaculture
Sunday
Cassie K commented on Jay Don't Cook's group Self Sufficiency using Permaculture
Sunday
Cassie K commented on Jay Don't Cook's group Self Sufficiency using Permaculture
Sunday
Laura Kuchy commented on Tiff Hawkins's blog post Too Exciting
Friday
Profile IconLaura Kuchy and Peter H joined 30 Bananas a Day!
May 21
Raw Mormon Mommy posted a status
"How do I edit my profile?"
May 20
OrganicMark posted a status
"OBAMAGATE 1: CRIME OF THE CENTURY #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light https://j.mp/2WVPNbe"
May 19
Profile IconSuzanne, SunBeaming, Rhonda Miga and 1 more joined 30 Bananas a Day!
May 17
"PlanDemic - Banned Documentary #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light https://bit.ly/2xJvrK0"
May 15
"What They Don’t Want You To Know About Covid-19. Dropping Bombs (Ep 264) Dr. Rashid Buttar #peace #truth #love #light https://j.mp/2T4hGwE"
May 15
"COVID-19 documentary by Janet Ossebaard | Part 4 #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light https://j.mp/35Q1zYN"
May 12
"COVID-19 documentary by Janet Ossebaard | Part 1-3 #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light https://j.mp/2WJLXlv"
May 12

© 2020   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service