30 Bananas a Day!

Just curious, if people are in the "pickle" of having no ripe organic fruit, and not finding any at stores, do you go for the ripe conventional fruit?  Or do you eat cooked sweet potatoes or things like that until your fruit ripens?  I try not to come into this dilemma anymore, but im still getting the hang of things.  My very green banana box still hasnt ripened, and there were literally 0 organic bananas at the store i went to after work.  I bought more frozen mangos, but its a pain.  

What would you do in this situation, or what have you done.  Do you go for conventionally grown fruit, frozen, or cooked potatoes or something along those lines?  

Views: 1368

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I always buy conventional, it tastes better than organic (imo). I wouldn't worry so much about everything being organic, you're going to stress yourself out more than you need to. Just go buy ripe conventional fruit.

Fruit taste/quality is largely dictated (esp for deep rooted trees) by harvesting techniques (tree ripened).

The longer on the tree... the more nutrients... the more nutrients... the better it tastes.....

I would stay away from the dirty dozen.

Here is dissent:

I think it TOTALLY depends.

1.) Who is it? Will this person spiral downwards into cooked bad stuff if they eat an organic boiled potato or two? If so I think that in thier case it may be best to go conventional fruit BUT I would highly recommend that that person keep organic dates or frozen food on hand for situations like that (if they are ethically similar to me).

2.) Is this consistent non-access to organic, or is it a one time thing? If it's consistent non-access to organic, I think maybe it would be more acceptable to eat the conventional fruit (so long as one was trying to improve that situation in some way), but if it's a one time thing and they are not the kind of person to spiral downwards with bad choices I would definitely go cooked organic.

I am very against pesticide use not just because of health reasons, so I don't really care that the bananas are nutritionally the same, I care about what they are doing to the earth to grow them. We can't just worry about our own health because if we do not have the health of the earth we have nothing. Everyone should be working towards eating all organic.. The food system MUST change in order to have a healthy sustainable planet.

Well said Hannah!
Lol, I'd love to have such dilemmas...
for your future banana adventures, I suggest buying a ton of extra bananas (I bought two crates instead of 1) and let them both ripen, eating the bananas from one of the crates.  When the other crate gets as ripe as you would want to eat them ate, have a banana peeling/freezing party!  I peeled the whole crate and put them into ziplock freezer bag (with 8, 9 or 10 bananas per bag so I could have them portioned out for meals.  That can be your "safety" fruit to go to when you don't have anything else available!  And frozen banana whip is soooo good!  I had it today because my fruit isn't rip yet.
I do that too. Makes me feel confident that I always have a supply of food. Of course, I have dates around too. And I really love celery with the frozen bananas.
Wow, I'm pretty surprised how many here buy conventional. I'll gladly pay a little more for organic (I'm poor!) so I don't have to worry about GMOs, pesticides polluting my body, or supporting crooks like Monsanto. Hannah explained the ethics of it well. 811 is about eating clean.. I'll pass on the frankenfruit! :P

I can understand if it's a cost issue, but how come many of you are proud of your choice to eat conventional and recommend it to others? Doug Graham always recommends organic produce as it's more nutritious than conventional, thus you actually save money by getting more nutrient-dense and tastier food..

Organic is a winfinity situation: it's better for yourself, the planet, the environment, the farmers, and the animals that have to live in the water that gets the run-off from farms. The meat and dairy industries aren't the only ones with morally questionable practices, folks. Stop GMOs and the subsidizing of chemicals in our food -- you vote with your dollar, and this is something we can choose not to support. Go organic!

I think it's important to work towards that. And if you don't have land I think it's a great opportunity to make a community garden or something of the like. Community is an important thing.

And it doesn't necessarily take a lot of money, but it can take a lot of time and effort.

Not just the animals water, the pesticides get into our water, too!
Carrots, frozen, dried, make sure you have fruit next time!

RSS

About

TheBananaGirl created this Ning Network.

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

OrganicMark posted a status
"Home Prices: Downhill From Here #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light http://j.mp/2kMOeNN"
yesterday
pradtf replied to pradtf's discussion great site with nutritional research information
yesterday
pradtf left a comment for Tams
Friday
pradtf and Tams are now friends
Friday
pradtf replied to pradtf's discussion great site with nutritional research information
Friday
"ECB cuts key rate, relaunches QE to shore up eurozone economy #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light http://j.mp/2kymAUZ"
Friday
"Trump Says Fed Should Cut Rates "To ZERO Or Less", So US Can Refinance Debt And Lenghten Maturities #peace #truth#light http://j.mp/2kH4yzB"
Sep 12
hajapapaya replied to TINtininintin's discussion seeking hair and scalp advice in the group Raw Vegan Skincare & Beauty
Sep 8
"Housing Bubble 2.0 - Housing Market Crash on the Way: Shiller #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light http://j.mp/2knZ6ln"
Sep 8
Peter Csere commented on Peter Csere's video
Sep 7
Josephine H Calvi is now friends with Randy Raw, Jojo Marion and Kevin
Sep 6
Lotus33 and Primal Rich are now friends
Sep 6
Scarlet R joined TheBananaGirl's group
Sep 6
"For Second Week In A Row, Fed Buys Treasuries (AKA, QE4!?!) #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light http://j.mp/2lCSaRg"
Sep 5
Amanda May left a comment for Kevin
Sep 5
Igor Puzeev posted a discussion
Sep 3

© 2019   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service