30 Bananas a Day!

Perhaps I'm too impatient with my Vibrams. I know that you're supposed to build up to running what you normally run, but I've had mine for 3+ months and can still run nowhere near what I'm used to without getting shin pain and sporadic foot pain.  This is probably because I push myself too hard every time I run. I'm not running everyday (because of the pain), but would like to be able to run to my full capability and I feel like these shoes hinder my performance. I think they are perfect for HIIT training and weight training, but not for endurance running. I'm sure that if I were to take the time to build up endurance with them than it would be different, but who knows how long that will take. I need to be active everyday, and the injuries I'm receiving from attempting to do so with the Vibrams just aren't worth it.  

I'm looking to find another pair of minimalist running shoes with a bit more cushioning than the Virbams. If anyone would care to share their experiences with minimal footwear or recommend a pair I would greatly appreciate it! 

Also I've been running on concrete/stadium tracks. Maybe switching to trails will make a difference. 

Views: 2888

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nicole, that's great!  That's the very advice my boss gives people period about running.  She is an elite marathon runner and a Physical Therapist.  Most people overstride.  :)

Good for you for listening to your body.

the guy on this youtube channel gives the best reviews of minimal shoes ive seen. have a look and see what you think :)

http://www.youtube.com/user/BarefootAthleteVideo/videos

Barefoot/minimalist schedule

Hello, this schedule for transitioning to barefoot/minimalist running/walking (walking at first--fitness) is suggested by a Physical Therapist.

Feet exercises and rolling tips to transition your body to minimalist/barefoot fitness walking and eventually running

http://http://tao-fit.com/the-foundation-of-your-posture-injury-pre...

Hope this helps!

i dunno nicole... the first time i ran with you my calves were very sore, the second time no pain afterwards.

and i only run a few times a year...it must be the way you are running.

This is an old thread Jon!!!!!! I no longer get shin splints after changing my stride.

I too used get shin splints from long distance running on hard surfaces in minimalist sandals for a year but i continued running in them anyway.Now my feet have become stronger and i run multiple times on a daily basis with my shins feeling just fine afterwards.

I should follow the advice from Kyle kranz ultrarunners do the most mileage. They have the experience and knowledge.

Why you wanna use the VFF, they are not the perfect shoe. There is a shoe for everybody. Injuries are not worth a fashionable sandal that dont work for you. Its a hype.

Save your money!

buy a pair of simple shoes for 5-20 dollars. in my experience those are better than 100 dollar barefootshoes and sometimes even hold better.

my runningshoes is a pair of simple shoes from decathlon cost about 14 dollars. best shoes i ever had

FWIW, Invisible Shoes Barefoot Running Sandals start at $24.95... but have a 5,000 mile warranty. So, over time, they might be the least expensive shoes you can own ;-)

yes those sandals look great, never seen them this cheap. 5000miles that's what I call durable shoes.

Thanks for sharing the info on the invisible shoe. I am going to order a pair. I still have to use my black vibrams for my work shoes as I have to have closed toe shoes.  The Hurachas look incredibly comfie.

RSS

About

TheBananaGirl created this Ning Network.

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

Profile IconHeather and Ken Ebacher joined 30 Bananas a Day!
3 hours ago
Eileen A. Murphy posted a status
"Just ate my first banana, today!"
yesterday
Profile IconEileen A. Murphy and Evan Vallee joined 30 Bananas a Day!
Monday
pradtf replied to pradtf's discussion great site with nutritional research information
Monday
OrganicMark posted a status
"Housing Bubble 2.0 - Foreclosure Filings Up in 17 States - Fannie Mae Sells Off Critical Inventory #peace #truth #now http://bit.ly/2Hskhez"
Sunday
Meredith is now a member of 30 Bananas a Day!
May 17
Profile IconFedor Malkin and Karmenac33 joined 30 Bananas a Day!
May 16
pradtf replied to pradtf's discussion great site with nutritional research information
May 15
Pete Braglia and ednshell are now friends
May 14
Kelly's photo was featured
May 14
Pete Braglia is now a member of 30 Bananas a Day!
May 14
ednshell posted a discussion
May 11
Windlord's photo was featured
May 11
Paul Rodgers posted a video

Now you can't be vegan 'cause... Mineral levels in plants are depleted. LifeRegenerator lacks sense

LifeRegenerator appears on RawKristina's video and repeats what an anti-vegan told me days before... that mineral levels in plant foods have depleted by 85 percent
May 11
Valentin Otto is now a member of 30 Bananas a Day!
May 11

© 2019   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service