30 Bananas a Day!

I present for you my venting for your amusement and betterment. Offense intended to those involved. I encourage you to critically think for yourself.

For those that don't know Mark, he is an ex trialthlete turned 'diet guru'. Basically he has just made up a more 'healthy' version of Dr Atkins low carb, high fat diet.

His site is www.marksdailyapple.com and book is the 'primal blueprint'. He believes that you can eat all the cholesterol and saturated fat you want and this helps create a healthy heart and muscular body. (Heck, didnt work for the guy in this photo below.)

Im sure Mark means well, heck, he is rak'n in the cash for sure by all the fatties looking to eat bacon and eggs for breakfast and drop weight. Its the same bunch of fatties that didnt learn from the Atkins craze or perhaps its the kids of the Atkin's munch'n parents. Either way, high fat, high protein animal based carb phobic diets...its downright dangerous. Something Mark and Dr Atkins left out of their books..Dr Atkins ended up dying from a head injury after suffering a heart attack and falling over. He had advance heart disease and was considered obese at 258lbs. 

Sisson fans might say 'But Mark looks fit for his age?'. I agree (even though I cant find any recent photos of him and diet book guru's are famous for working out for some cover shots that they dont really look like year round) but lets remember he has over 40 years of competitive sport behind him and obviously doesnt follow his own diet. A bit like Barry Spears author of the zone diet claiming to only eat 1300calories a day and weighing over 220lbs. (Barry finally admitted to Dr McDougall on stage that he doesnt follow his own diet.)

So this thread is dedicated to highlighting the contradictions of the 'primal blueprint' fad diet that is very popular at the moment in the weight loss industry. If you want to sell books, tell people good things about their bad habits and your on a winner! 

Views: 5202

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Life is about having an open mind and excepting the things around you

Ok, watch Earthlings and then think about that statement.

I am assuming, based on your response, that you have not seen this documentary. My apologies if you have.

Part of my rejection of a paleo diet would be the inclusion of animal flesh. Whether the animal is hunted or raised in a factory farm, I believe that animal has a right to exist.
I do to. I love animals and that's one of the reasons why I started eating the way I do now. I was just saying that I liked Jes's approach - finding the 'good' in the 'bad.' There are people who've eaten nothing but meat their entire lives, so switching to something like a paleo diet would be a definite step in the right direction.
Dude, I don't accept anything!

I'm all about ending as much animal suffering as possible, and the more people who switch to a semi-vegetarian diet, stop wearing fur, animal products, vegan diet, paleo diet(the kind that Jakko describes done correctly), raw vegan diet, and ultimately 30Bad diet- the better for the lives of animals!!!

Yes!!! All animals have the right to exist, but we cannot stop predator animals from hunting and we cannot stop natural selection(just imagine where we'd be without it today) nature has set a certain amount of checks and balances to ensure the species survival and planets survival.

Yes it sucks! That animals kill and eat eachother and the world would be an ideal place if not only all humans were vegan but also all animals were vegan, but can you see where this might not work out exactly??? So I'm saying lets end commercially raised meat/slaughterhouses and let animals live there natural lives with human hunters as just one more predator out in the wild- only taking what they need.

PS- Do Not misunderstand me- Killing and consuming meat on any level disgusts me and I would never do it! But it disgusts me to no end that there are millions upon billions of animals en route to slaughter etc... who have never been allowed to live natural healthy lives(this also effects the lives of the humans consuming them not only with hormones/health but also the emotional state of the animal during its life/death.
this comparing carnivores in the wild hunting animals (with their natural abilities and instincts) in order to survive to humans (frugivores) eating animals (buying from butcher/farmer/hunter or hunting themselves w/ advanced weapons for sport) is a bad analogy.. again, our killing, confining and torturing of other animals is needless
jes writes:
So I'm saying lets end commercially raised meat/slaughterhouses and let animals live there natural lives with human hunters as just one more predator out in the wild- only taking what they need.

if one can go to the extent of eliminating commercially produced meat, then it should be a much simpler matter to eliminate the relatively small group of paleos.

the argument that humans can be considered to be predators like lions is valid if and only if humans are willing to live like lions - out in the wild. it would be most interesting to see just how many paleos are willing or even able to hunt their own food. :D

while i know as well as anyone here the extent to which you are an excellent ar activist, i think it's important not to substitute what appears to be the lesser evil for what is known to be the greater evil. let's not forget that it is through that apparent lesser evil that the greater evil came about. evil starts small and then grows - just as factory farming did.

from a utilitarian perspective, one can argue lesser and greater, but from a deontological standpoint there is no argument. it makes very little difference to the individual whether you kill 1 or 100 if you happen to be that individual.

part of the difficulty here lies with this concept of "allow". one point francione makes is that it is wrong of us to take up a position where we "allow" animals a certain kind of life. his baseline is vegan and that we must stop treating animals as property.

as both mangosister and ryan are pointing out none of this is necessary and all of it is evil from the standpoint of ethics.

as such, paleo is evil and animal welfare is evil. whether it is intelligent to accept the lesser of evils has become a debatable point - so it's important to acknowledge your strong statement: "I don't accept anything!"

certainly no social justice movement in history has not gone through progressive changes. however, while we may 'join forces' with paleo and animal welfare to bring down factory farming, they are most certainly on our hit list because they too endorse the imprisonment, exploitation, abuse and murder of sentient beings.

in friendship,
prad
I believe there is a wee bit of confusion in this discussion here.
The difference is animal welfarism and animal abolitionism.

Two different viewpoints, and absolutely no sense arguing about it. I agree with Prad, very well said.

Animal welfarists care specifically about the treatment of the animal, and are not about abolishing all cruelty, at any cost. They strive for more humane confinement, and better animal cruelty laws.

Animal abolitionism is all about abolishing every sort of cruelty. No excuses. No confinement, no circuses, no animal abuse of any kind, regardless of circumstances.

These two groups almost never agree with one another. I see it all the time in activism. What we have to remember is that we're esentially on the same side.
tarah writes:
"What we have to remember is that we're esentially on the same side."

that is correct, tarah.
what i remind people is that animal welfarists are ar activists to the degree that they uphold an animal's right not to be made to suffer. it's not sufficient of course, but it is pointing in the right direction. however, we need the abolitionists (as in any social justice movement) to keep things honest.

in friendship,
prad
i think it's important not to substitute what appears to be the lesser evil for what is known to be the greater evil. let's not forget that it is through that apparent lesser evil that the greater evil came about. evil starts small and then grows - just as factory farming did.

Yes Thank you Prad

certainly no social justice movement in history has not gone through progressive changes. however, while we may 'join forces' with paleo and animal welfare to bring down factory farming, they are most certainly on our hit list because they too endorse the imprisonment, exploitation, abuse and murder of sentient beings.

+1
greetings ashley!

you write:
Life is about having an open mind and excepting the things around you - as they are!

i know the statement is meant with good intentions, but by this reasoning we should have an open mind and accept the following things as they are too:

genocide
homocide
child-molestation
environmental habitat destruction
factory farming
the human slave trade

since there are several movements in place to combat these, it would seem that many people do not accept things as they are and certainly do not have that open mind to which you refer.

furthermore, the statement presents a self-referential problem to itself:
if our mind is truly open then it is quite feasible to maintain that the idea of an open mind is itself erroneous.

again, i'm sure the intentions behind having an open mind are likely reasonable if applied with some judgement, but one should be aware of the adage that too open a mind only leads to a hole in the head. :D

in friendship,
prad
if one can go to the extent of eliminating commercially produced meat, then it should be a much simpler matter to eliminate the relatively small group of paleos.

Great post I'm for the most part in agreement w/you. I'm just saying lets not crucify the paleo lifestyle because it does advocate(going back to Jakko's post b/c I'm no paleo expert) less consumption of meat and only animals raised and killed out in the wild. Otherwise 811- yes unlikely that the majority of people who are following a paleo diet are doing it correctly, but they should be striving towards that and ultimately meaning lessening the demand for commercial slaughter etc...

These are all hypothetical, do I really think the entire world is going to turn paleo- nope. But neither do I see them all turning 30bad either- even our fellow raw brothers consider us extremists.

I do however feel that we are focusing our attention too much on the paleo's when there are many more doing far worse; in my eyes they are the lesser of the evils- especially those like Grok/Jakko who have now transitioned to 811.

Could paleo be a diet that leads people to transition to a raw vegan lifestyle once they see how much better they feel eating less meat, and clean fruits/veggies. Maybe? wishful thinking...

I think the two main points on the animal welfare front that we should be most concerned about is commercial farming/slaughter, and animal abuse/cruelty. Once these issues have been resolved it will be a huge win on the animal welfare front and then we can turn on the paleos ;)

cheers,
Jes
Once these issues have been resolved it will be a huge win on the animal welfare front and then we can turn on the paleos ;)

i'm getting a head start, jes. :D

here's the problem with paleos - it is very much a 'do for myself' attitude (this is not to say that paleos are unethical in all areas of course), but you only need to read the pro paleo comments here (and elsewhere).

animal welfare is fraught with problems too, but the one little glimmer of hope here is that if people get to a point where they recognize that making animals suffer is wrong, they may make the connection that killing them is also wrong ('humanely' whatever that means or otherwise). these ethics are of no concern to paleos.

your idea of paleos encouraging the reduced consumption of meat isn't a bad one on the surface, but it doesn't deal with the deeper issues of animal rights and sentient beings.

you see, we can argue that less meat is better and that there are "many more doing far worse", but there is nothing stopping us from going after them all. it's not an either/or.

and we have to be a bit careful. while it is one thing to say paleo is 'better' than sad, it's quite another matter to allow people to surmise that paleo is 'ok' because sad is so bad. that's a bit like concluding that it's 'ok' to work 5% of your slaves to death because your neighbor works 80% of them to death. for the individual who is the victim, the stats don't mean much.

in friendship,
prad
You mean to tell us you're living off 100% WILD foraged fruits and greens, purchasing no farmed fruits & greens where there's little regard for human rights or raping the land to produce them? I cease to be amazed by the conveniently selective thinking by some members of this site.

RSS

About

TheBananaGirl created this Ning Network.

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

Charlie joined gmb's group
16 hours ago
Andreea is now a member of 30 Bananas a Day!
21 hours ago
OrganicMark posted a status
"Where Is Inflation Hiding? In Asset Prices! #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light #now http://bit.ly/2VSkM6E"
yesterday
"World Trade Suffers Biggest Collapse Since Financial Crisis #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light #now http://bit.ly/2vajA2w"
Wednesday
"Banks Prepare to Take Your Money ⚠️ Bail-ins Exposed, Economic Collapse Update #peace #truth #love #light #now http://bit.ly/2UA4Ucg"
Wednesday
Houdini Steve Owens left a comment for Still Mind
Tuesday
Houdini Steve Owens replied to Ciara's discussion My English for your Spanish in the group International Penfriends and Language Exchange
Tuesday
Alexis Bassard left a comment for Elliot David Manning
Monday
Elliot David Manning and Alexis Bassard are now friends
Monday
Alexis Bassard posted a status
"I'm going on a fasting cleanse"
Monday
"I'm going to be going on the 30 bananas a day diet. Or the Hollywood liquid diet including real fruit smoothies with bananas."
Monday
"Yeah. What's up?"
Monday
Alexis Bassard is now a member of 30 Bananas a Day!
Sunday
pradtf replied to pradtf's discussion great site with nutritional research information
Sunday
"Gold DOUBLED in price for the central banks #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light #now http://bit.ly/2Ixj6vt"
Sunday

© 2019   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service