30 Bananas a Day!

Okay, I'm sure most of you know who Joseph Kony is by now, if you don't, look him up 'cause he's popular.

This rant is about the suddenly born advocates of the "invisible children" and genocides and such. STOP IT! Where were you last week, the month before, last year? I don't remember you supporting the "invisible children" then! 

This just goes to show how media affects people. Yesterday I get up to people posting all over Facebook about how Kony is so bad and how much they hate him. Um...hello!? I know you aren't stupid...this type of hell goes on EVERYDAY. Child sex slaves, child labor, some countries have made it legal to kill street children for a small bounty because they are like feral dogs or cats. 

Joseph Kony is not the only bad man out to get little kiddies, wake the hell up. If you want to be an advocate don't be a fadvocate, support the whole thing forever, not just for a week. 

For those that advocate for the children all the time, kudos. 

Views: 833

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Haha. Be careful with that eh? I got quite publicly attacked by someone on Facebook for saying something quite similar. I love the word though. Fadvocate...I'm coining that. 

I loved it when I thought of it.

I do quite often. My facebook wall has all kinds of fun little "I support this" posts. 

This seems to be the main link going around with more info on why the "Kony 2012" campaign might be a bit dodgy: http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com/?coral-no-serve 

But still you can't say, "ohhh don't follow "KONY 2012" because your only doing it cause its hot right now". Some people did not know about it, plus you saying "ohh theres so many other baddies out there, why only attack Kony" is very immature. If we went your way about it we wouldn't even start getting these situations under control. You have to start somewhere, and that so happens to be Kony!

We've known about these goings on for years and Kony isn't the first militant leader we have prosecuted/attacked/hunted for child crimes or humanity crimes. He just got into the eye of the public. I didn't say not to follow Kony 2012, please, everyone do what you can to help but, most people just post a link and do nothing. We've seen abuse repeatedly, we know it exists, some of it would be very easy to remove (even easier than the in-hiding Kony.)

I wouldn't call my frustration immature. We've "started" somewhere, years upon years ago. We've prosecuted militant leaders before. Does it get any further though? Not really. They get prosecuted somewhere down the line, sometimes when they aren't even leaders anymore and we do know about these groups and we know about the countries that have child trafficking and we know all this stuff but nothing gets done until more people are hurt than normal. With the way it works now what's 10 children vs 1000s? 10 children is sad but 1000s? That's a disgrace and something should be done immediately! If this were to start some long-winded movement to save children the world over, I would be impressed. Unfortunately, we will just have to wait until the next huge crime hits for our next wave of impassioned hunts.

In your rant above you come across as a frustrated hipster, who's upset that people are uniting, and that these issues have gone mainstream. Which came across to me as quite immature.

Awareness is a great thing, and even if those people are "just posting there links" they are prompting many more people who will make a difference. I can assure you I have not known about these goings on until a few days ago. We did not start making these people known to the masses "years upon years ago" using the internet, although they may have got a quick mention on the 6 o'clock news.

Hundreds of thousands of people in Ireland and nearly all of my friends on Facebook are getting involved in this.

The internet is a wonderful thing. Don't be a pessimist on what people can do. We have easy access to contact information of congressman, politicians and influential people. We can speak up and make our voice heard. Trying to create a world in which people like Joseph Kony are as famous as Celebrities, is in itself a very good thing!

Now that we realize the internet is the greatest tool humanity has ever known to raise awareness, we may be able to better deal with these situations in the future, and not let them get out of control.

Actually research before you share. Kony had ceased to be a problem long before it became a trend.

That's where my frustration comes in and maybe I didn't explain it well above. They help spread the word but they don't do much else. Okay, great, you know about it now what will you do about it? 

I know people have the capacity to care but, I wish the care would last, in most cases it just fades away until the next "big thing." 

People don't actually care. Awareness does nothing, only action can solve problems. I haven't seen much real action

Better to do something now than never.

The same thing is happening about the apartheid in Israhell.

6 decades later mind you but still good people are waking up.

Take Care,

Thank you for posting. Short and simple but, I like what you had to say. Let's hope they stay awake. 

RSS

About

TheBananaGirl created this Ning Network.

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

Cédric replied to fruity78's discussion Where i get tastiest young coconuts in jan/feb?
23 hours ago
OrganicMark posted a status
"John Williams - Fed Lost Control of Financial System #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light http://j.mp/2P5nMeM"
yesterday
Alex Curtis-Slep posted a photo
Dec 4
Profile IconAnna Bostick and Angela Hogan joined 30 Bananas a Day!
Dec 3
Raini Pachak posted a discussion
Dec 3
Kelly's photo was featured
Nov 30
ednshell's photo was featured
Nov 27
Profile IconJust.Me, Malika and Phoebe joined 30 Bananas a Day!
Nov 27
Justine Jolene and Kevin are now friends
Nov 27
pradtf replied to pradtf's discussion vegan cats
Nov 20
fruity78 replied to fruity78's discussion Where i get tastiest young coconuts in jan/feb?
Nov 17
fruity78 posted a discussion
Nov 17
Rock replied to RawVeganGamer's discussion Taking good care of your teeth with fluoride.
Nov 16
Rock replied to Victoria's discussion Info on the death of my fellow faster?? anyone know any details?
Nov 16
Lynae K. replied to Laura's discussion Loren Lockman (Low-Fat Raw Vegan? of 20 Years) Will Be Speaking in NY/NJ/PA May 24th–30th! Any Interested Attendees??
Nov 16
Lynae K. replied to Victoria's discussion Info on the death of my fellow faster?? anyone know any details?
Nov 16

© 2019   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service