30 Bananas a Day!

One of my friends who is interested in becoming a vegan, and possibly a raw vegan is exploring all the little facts and such. One of her big things is that she thinks Jesus was a meat eater, and therfore she should be one...
Whether that line of thinking makes sense is another story, but I was wondering if y'all had any information on this?

Katherine

Views: 2032

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dalai Lama eats meat because his "Doctors" medicine people told him that he would get sick if he would not eat meat. So did Gautama Buddha since he received food from begging and ate what he was given.
It's my opinion that God (the Jesus God) is perfectly fine with us deciding what we want to eat... I am pretty sure that the only biblical instance of him eating meat is in Luke 24:41-43 where he ate some broiled fish.. There are other records where it's pretty clear that he ate fish, and as someone else mentioned, it's a pretty valid assumption that he ate some lamb at the last supper, though it isn't specifically mentioned in the text... Should we go on a fig only diet because we can infer that he wanted some figs and would have eaten them if there was fruit on the tree at the time? (Mathew 21:19).. It's pretty obvious that he ate plenty of bread and drank some wine, etc., but did he do so because he thought he was telling his followers for all of time what to eat, or simply because he was hungry?

The main thing that I gather about the eating/dietary preferences of Jesus is that he was pretty opportunistic... He was practically a breatharian, preferring the words that proceed from the mouth of God over bread (read Mathew 4:2-4).. I don't think his food choices as recorded in the bible are intended to prescribe what is optimally healthy for humans or what we should or shouldn't eat.

The bible is so much not a diet book that sometimes I think maybe that is the message itself, that I shouldn't focus on what I eat but focus instead on figuring out how to love God with all of my heart, mind, soul, and body as Jesus prescribes.... Then maybe I wouldn't need to even think about what I eat or don't eat and it would just sort itself out that way as I model Jesus by being opportunistic while I busy myself with the purposes of God... But if that's the way, then I am definitely not there yet and my perspective at this point is that taking care of my health helps me live a fuller life, and that's good for my spiritual life too... Bottom line - Jesus wasn't a nutritionist and I don't see that he prescribed nutritional advice one way or the other. He was a busy man and had other priorities (read Mathew 4:2-4 again).

His early follower James (presumably not a nutritionally focused gent either) decided that what we eat isn't important, except that we "abstain from food polluted by idols, from sexual immorality, from the meat of strangled animals and from blood." (Acts 15:20). No problem, right? This is the only major dietary prescription to be found in the New Testament to my recollection and it seems to me to be based more around honoring God and a concession to previous Hebraic commandments.. James didn't say that this prescription came directly from God either, rather he said it was his judgment based on the desire to not make it difficult for gentiles to turn to God....

I can think of some other places where minor conditional dietary prescriptions are given, like when Paul told Timothy to drink some wine to help his stomach, or Jesus telling his followers to hit the streets with the good news and to not take any bread with them and eat whatever people gave them, and where Paul told the Romans not to eat meat or drink wine if there were others present who might get offended... These examples imply to me more of an acceptance of the cultural dietary norms of the time, and the presence of some who were still bound up in religious legalism expressed through their dietary practices. I don't get the impression that there were many health nuts in biblical times..

I just don't think we need to be looking to the bible for a diet to follow or permission on what to eat. Personally, I do feel that it honors God somewhat that I choose to eat what he originally created for humans to eat (or at least a form of it since I doubt fruit is as awesome as it once was before the fall and flood), and that I am satisfied with it. I don't take it any further than that, meaning that I don't think we should take Genesis 1:29 as some kind of mandate for today as some take it... More importantly, I just don't think we need to. We know from science and our experience that fruits and veggies are our healthiest options and that everything else has negative consequences of one degree or another... That knowledge is good enough for me.
Of course I don't know but my heart says he was vego and also the Essene Gospel of Peace...It's hard to know the truth because we weren't living then. The bible consists of a lot of 'chinese whispers' so I can't imagine the recount being totally accurate everytime and like you said Todd, the 'lamb eating bit' was an assumption.

Here are some words from Jesus shared with the Essenes, found in ancient manuscripts from the 3rd century. Apparently there is video evidence of these manuscripts being unearthed so for me this seems the most believable.

You will find the following quotes in the Essene Gospel of Peace..

"Thou shalt not kill"

'Thou shalt not kill,' for life is given to all by God, and that which God has given, let not man take away. For-I tell you truly, from one Mother proceeds all that lives upon the earth. Therefore, he who kills, kills his brother. And from him will the Earthly Mother turn away, and will pluck from him her quickening breasts. And he will be shunned by her angels, and Satan will have his dwelling in his body. And the flesh of slain beasts in his body will become his own tomb. For I tell you truly, he who kills, kills himself, and whoso eats the flesh of slain beasts, eats of the body of death. For in his blood every drop of their blood turns to poison; in his breath their breath to stink; in his flesh their flesh to boils; in his bones their bones to chalk; in his bowels their bowels t o decay; in his eyes their eyes to scales; in his ears their ears to waxy issue. And their death will become his death.

"I have given you every herb bearing seed... to you it shall be for meat"

Kill not, neither eat the flesh of your innocent prey, lest you become the slaves of Satan. For that is the path of sufferings, and it leads unto death. But do the will of God, that his angels may serve you on the way of life. Obey, therefore, the words of God: 'Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat. And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to everything that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is breath of life, I give every green herb for meat.

"eat not anything which fire, or frost, or water has destroyed"

But I do say to you: Kill neither men, nor beasts, nor yet the food which goes into your mouth. For if you eat living food, the same will quicken you, but if you kill your food, the dead food will kill you also. For life comes only from life, and from death comes always death. For everything which kills your foods, kills your bodies also. And everything which kills your bodies kills your souls also. And your bodies become what your foods are, even as your spirits, likewise, become what your thoughts are. Therefore, eat not anything which fire, or frost, or water has destroyed. For burned, frozen and rotted foods will burn, freeze and rot your body also. Be not like the foolish husbandman who sowed in his ground cooked, and frozen, and rotten seeds. And the autumn came, and his fields bore nothing. And great was his distress. But be like that husbandman who sowed in his field living seed, and whose field bore living ears of wheat, paying a hundredfold for the seeds which he planted. For I tell you truly, live only by the fire of life, and prepare not your foods with the fire of death, which kills your foods, your bodies and your souls also."

"It is the fire which blazes outside your body, which is hotter than your blood. With that fire of death you cook your foods in your homes and in your fields. I tell you truly, it is the same fire which destroys your foods and your bodies, even as the fire of malice, which ravages your thoughts, ravages your spirits. For your body is that which you eat, and your spirit is that which you think. Eat nothing, therefore, which a stronger fire than the fire of life has killed. Wherefore, prepare and eat all fruits of trees, and all grasses of the fields, and afl milk of beasts good for eating. For all these are fed and ripened by the fire of life; all are the gift of the angels of our Earthly Mother. But eat nothing to which only the fire of death gives savor, for such is of Satan."

"So eat always from the table of God: the fruits of the trees, the grain and grasses of the field, the milk of beasts, and the honey of bees. For everything beyond these is of Satan, and leads by the way of sins and of diseases unto death. But the foods which you eat from the abundant table of God give strength and youth to your body, and you will never see diseases

Eat, therefore, all your life at the table of our Earthly Mother, and you will never see want. And when you eat at her table, eat all things even as they are found on the table of the Earthly Mother. Cook not, neither mix all things one with another, lest your bowels become as steaming bogs. For I tell you truly, this is abominable in the eyes of the Lord.
I think this is a great response, thank you Todd! I agree that people should not look to the Bible for dietary advice. Some questions should properly be answered by theology, and some by science. Whatever Jesus ate when he was alive, the spirit of his message is that we should love and respect life and all creation. At this time and in our society, eating a vegan diet is the best way to embody that spirit. Furthermore, science tells us that it is the best way to honor our own bodies because it is the healthiest diet.
Wonderful reply, Sara!
Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food." For someone who looks into the bible for guidance i think that sounds pretty clear!
The Greek word for "fish weed" (a dried seaweed) has been mistranslated in stories as "fish". Furthermore, the Bible was altered at The Council of Nicea.

I say 'God made my heart, my heart says dont kill, what does your heart say?'

I say 'would Jesus work in a slaughterhouse? would Jesus really slash the throat of a live animal? what would Jesus do?

I say 'If you cant walk up to a food and smear it on your body or your partners body, then it aint food!'. You could do this with a potato and people would laugh and find it funny, you could do it with fruit and people would find it sensual but if you tried to do it with an egg, carcass or maggots people would run (Unless they were Daniel Vitalis groupies;).

Here is a picture of a man acting in the name of Jesus right? Hey, its ok to rape/murder/exploit if you bless your victim/confess your sins after yeah? ;)

Why do you want to solve the biggest issues, doubts, questions that Humanity has always had in history? Theologists have found answers, but they are all theological answers, not "material" ones, believing in God does not solve the Misteries of life and universe! An example: if we ask: why are we here? the Christian answer is "To love" but, it cannot be considered a real answer, religion solves nothing, you have to believe, to try to believe. You can find a lot of replies to your doubts about Old testament anyway, from a lot of people, even from Jewish people, but I am not the right person to give them to you, I am not so skilled at all
I can see that my replies to Rawgasm have no meaning now that some of his posts have ben erased (by himself?), I wonder if I should erase mine, too, otherwise they sound silly replies...
Are you sure that man is acting in the name of Jesus? Perhaps he is a Muslim or a Jew, you know about the animal killing with bleeding etc.
Don't you know about how they kill animals? Of course they worship the God of Abraham, but they follow old laws and interpretations, again, it is a matter of knowing lots of cultural things, we cannot discuss such issues so easily!

RSS

About

TheBananaGirl created this Ning Network.

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

OrganicMark posted a status
"Why the 2008 Housing Crisis Recovery Is Just an Illusion (w/ Keith Jurow) #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #light http://j.mp/2ODSZ93"
4 hours ago
"Not Transitory - Fed Liquidity Handout Surges To Near $90 Billion #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light http://j.mp/35F4Sl5"
5 hours ago
Frugisaurus and Alex Curtis-Slep are now friends
yesterday
Michael Lanfield posted a video

Return to the Gentle Sea by Michael Lanfield with Music by Dr. Will Tuttle, PhD (Full Audiobook)

Return to the Gentle Sea: For the Love That Lives in Everyone is a book on spiritual healing and cultural transformation on the human relationship to nonhuman animals. It explains how living in a herding culture, eating animals and their secretions,…
yesterday
Michael Lanfield commented on ednshell's video
yesterday
Michael Lanfield and Olga are now friends
yesterday
Raw Aussie Athlete and Lil Green Coconut are now friends
yesterday
ednshell replied to Tams's discussion Best vegan retreats ?
Saturday
ednshell posted a video

Take Back Your Power 2017 (Official) - smart meter documentary

This award-winning film documents the real story on smart meters. + Subscribe for free EMF guide & help stop 'smart' meters and 5G: https://TakeBackYourPower...
Saturday
ednshell posted a discussion
Saturday
Profile Iconmichael wilson, Savannah Holte, tori jacobs and 2 more joined 30 Bananas a Day!
Saturday
"QE4 "Not A QE" Begins: Fed Starts Buying $60BN In Bills Per Month Beginning Next Week #awakening #peace #truth #light http://j.mp/2M9cmoQ"
Friday
Rock and Tams are now friends
Friday
Tams posted a discussion
Friday
"Powell says the Fed will start expanding its balance sheet ‘soon’ in response to funding issues #peace #truth #light http://j.mp/30Zc8ol"
Thursday
"As Hong Kong ATMs Run Out Of Cash, Central Bank Steps In To Prevent "Panic Among The Public" #peace #truth #love #light http://j.mp/35aHziW"
Oct 7

© 2019   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service