30 Bananas a Day!

Hey everyone! So, i've only been a Raw Til 4 Vegan since the 25th of May, but I still need to tell my dad, step-mom, and step-sisters that i've chosen this lifestyle! i really don't want to do his because i feel like they'll be worried about me, question every thing i do, and don't forget the awkwardness! I know there are plenty of people who are reading this and are like, "TELL YOUR DANG FAMILY!!". But its really hard for me. Probably because i'm in this completely alone. Anyways, the reason i have to tell them NOW is because were heading to D.C. in around 10 days and i'm so excited to go again (went to the inauguration last year). The problem is, I can't just go buy 10 bananas for breakfast and lunch! They'll probably flip when they figure out that I eat fruit for lunch. Any words of wisdom for any of these situations?

Much Appreciated! :)

Views: 240

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Don't be afraid to share who you are with anyone. If you are happy and confident with yourself then others will accept you.

For example, I bought a box of bananas today and the produce guy asked me, "What do you do with all those bananas?" I looked him in the eye and said, "I eat them, and it's a lot easier getting them in the box then trying to buy them in single bunches." 

It should be much easier for you to share yourself with your family. You can do it.

I also agree, don't be afraid. I was worried when I told my mom and sister about my choice to become vegetarian and then vegan. They worried big time, but the best you can do is help them realize that you know what you're doing and show them you are being careful. My grandmother whom I spoke to today over the phone sounded a bit worried, though she is happy for me. When they start hearing about the good things about your new diet and how its helping you, they won't worry too much. Just be who you are :)

I know! It is so annoying every single time I buy a box, someone asks me, "What are you going to do with these bananas?! Make BANANA BREAD???" Why is everyone obsessed with banana bread omg. Full of fat and cruelty.  Hmm but You can sneak in dried fruit or dates throughout the day while you are out with them, or just say "I eat tons of fruit and veggies, trying out a diet by Dr. Doug Graham to prevent cancer and diseases! Seeing how it will go." or something. I know Dr. Graham is not a 'real' doctor but it is something to say haha. The other plant based doctors such as Dr. Neal Barnard, Campbell, McDougall, and Esselstyn promote mainly fruits, veggies, and starches, not raw. 

And if they ask you about protein, just say "Actually many plant-based doctors have found that we only need 2.5%-5% protein to be healthy". Dr. McDougall has an article about this.. https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2007nl/apr/protein.htm

You can buy bunch of tin fruits, dried fruits, and just stroll to the nearest grocery store in the morning like you are going to the farmers market! Do not care what others say about you or your diet. They don't know and don't understand what you are doing so of course they are going to ask questions and wonder, but it is out of pure curiosity. They will just have to accept it and value you and your personality more than what type of food you put down your mouth. 

Thank you for the advice- I will put it to use!

That's wonderful that you are going to D.C., I love it there, too! Just research vegan-friendly places and farmers markets or whole foods locations ahead of time and take books like 'The China Study' by Dr. T. Colin Campbell and '80/10/10' by Dr. Doug Graham with you on your trip! Just highlight informative and straight to the point passages before you go and whip those out to simply inform them or when met with criticisms. Good luck! :)

Tell them it's way better then McDonalds or eating dead animal carcasses like a turkey buzzard.

I agree with what the others are saying.
Another tip is to level-headedly explain to your family that you do not want to go through life with average health, but with exceptional health!
Not feeling so unhealthy as to be sick, but not feeling great either, is a standard that people on the SAD diet just accept.  And they worry about "inevitably" getting typical American health problems of the middle- to old-aged, such as arthritis, Type II Diabetes, heart failure, clogged arteries, dementia, and continuous weight gain and lack of fitness due to "a slowed metabolism".  That's not to mention other problems, such as depression, insomnia, and feelings of sluggishness.  What do all those problems have in common?  The chances of getting them all are lessened drastically, if not entirely, by adopting a moderately active, high-carb, low-fat, mostly raw vegan lifestyle!
Tell your family that you want to thrive and to be happy with a rewarding, strong, energetic body - not to settle for health that is less than excellent and less than what it could (pretty easily) be!
I know it's hard to "come out" as a vegan, still...so I wish you the best of luck.  I'm rooting for you!

Thanks Caroline! I know that I just need to face reality and "come out" :)

RSS

About

TheBananaGirl created this Ning Network.

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

Profile IconHeather and Ken Ebacher joined 30 Bananas a Day!
17 hours ago
Eileen A. Murphy posted a status
"Just ate my first banana, today!"
yesterday
Profile IconEileen A. Murphy and Evan Vallee joined 30 Bananas a Day!
Monday
pradtf replied to pradtf's discussion great site with nutritional research information
Monday
OrganicMark posted a status
"Housing Bubble 2.0 - Foreclosure Filings Up in 17 States - Fannie Mae Sells Off Critical Inventory #peace #truth #now http://bit.ly/2Hskhez"
Sunday
Meredith is now a member of 30 Bananas a Day!
May 17
Profile IconFedor Malkin and Karmenac33 joined 30 Bananas a Day!
May 16
pradtf replied to pradtf's discussion great site with nutritional research information
May 15
Pete Braglia and ednshell are now friends
May 14
Kelly's photo was featured
May 14
Pete Braglia is now a member of 30 Bananas a Day!
May 14
ednshell posted a discussion
May 11
Windlord's photo was featured
May 11
Paul Rodgers posted a video

Now you can't be vegan 'cause... Mineral levels in plants are depleted. LifeRegenerator lacks sense

LifeRegenerator appears on RawKristina's video and repeats what an anti-vegan told me days before... that mineral levels in plant foods have depleted by 85 percent
May 11
Valentin Otto is now a member of 30 Bananas a Day!
May 11

© 2019   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service