30 Bananas a Day!

We can harass animal-eaters all we want for the way they refuse to learn about factory farms because they know they'll have to change. 

But the truth is, we are just as (if not MORE) guilty if we refuse to learn about the agricultural labor practices behind our food. This is not just animals, but people. It would be as if we lived like kings off of the slave's back. Just like transitioning slowly from non-vegan to vegan, this can be done one fruit at a time. The good news is, if you're already buying organic you are probably already buying fair trade!

Check this out:

http://www.fairtraderesource.org/learn-up/recommended-reading/

http://www.thenation.com/blog/162307/trouble-tomato-slave-labor#   (keep this in mind: 150,000 to 200,000 migrant and seasonal farm workers and their families annually travel to and work in Florida.)

Another thing: that last link poses an interesting discussion point. We know of the books that debunk the "locavore" movement, instead finding all the efficiency in global food production. But what about workers' rights in this? Sure, we can eat a tomato in the winter, but does the human cost outweigh the efficiency argument? Is there an alternative to both?

I think I'm using dried tomatoes this winter...

Views: 115

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

so what would you like us to do then??? stop eating altogether and just drink water??? give us a break please

I'm sorry, but may I point out that I have heard non-vegans say that in regards to going vegan...

But no, that's not what I'm suggesting. There are way too many things in life where we could throw up our hands in surrender. Usually a large part of effective change is rather in getting involved: research brands and farms--write letters of inquiry, if necessary, to affirm certain practices--and get involved in legislation. Make a few sacrifices at a time--for example, maybe avoiding tomatoes (esp. Florida) in the winter. 

I really don't think it would take a huge effort. We've already made huge changes in coming to this way of eating.

It wasn't long ago that I came across the mention of unfair labor in fruit production and I got super defensive/annoyed/aggressive, mainly because I felt it took so much for me to get to where I was diet-wise, and this would add further refining to my routine. I'm still a little afraid to "go there". But I'm still convicted that some of us are still in our pre-vegan mindsets and have only re-directed that mindset's focus. 

I was not aware of this. Except that Florida is a horrible place to grow tomatoes commercially, and that they taste horrible. That I knew.

It makes you wonder how the rest of our fruit gets to us. I'm rather curious to know. I hope, of course, that the fruit I'm eating is cruelty-free and beneficially economic (at least to someone) and at least somewhat green (as in good for the environment). But that's most likely NOT the case. It is cool how we have access to such a wide variety of fruit--a much more varied and abundant supply than we otherwise would have. I suppose that it's not that efficient or clean, but hey, I'm not complaining, right? I've got my fruit. Haha.

It's true, the bad taste of such winter fruits as tomatoes makes it much easier to wait until summer :-) Thanks for chiming in

RSS

About

TheBananaGirl created this Ning Network.

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

© 2019   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service