30 Bananas a Day!

I am new to this lifestyle (feb 2013) and I am currently dealing with a lot of things I am trying to heal from.  Even though I am having a lot of crazy things happen to my body and I don't even know if I am doing this correctly I still believe in it so much that I want to have my father follow this lifestyle as well for his health.  Ok let me explain, last year my father had quintuple bypass surgery.  It is rare to survive a heart attack when there is a blockage in all five of the arteries, actually to survive it is almost unheard of.  However, we were lucky because my dad had a minor heart attact.  The small heart attack saved his life cause he went into heart surgery two days later.  So they caught it in enough time to save his life and now he is recovering and doing great.  Now the thing is while this was happening to my dad I was also having personal health struggles that I was trying to correct naturally with no conventional medicine so I was bombarding myself with diet informaton etc.  I got into the whole, superfood/healthy protien (fish/lean meats) thing and the healthy fats.  So the thing is when this happened I was giving my dad tons and tons of dietary advice and all the suggestion I made were helping and he was feeling great.  The doctors couldn't believe his progress and he is making a full recovery.  I am so excited.

But then I stumbled across this lifestyle and overnight I switched to this lifestyle just by reading as much info on this site and a few others as I could.  No guidance that day I went and bought tons of fruit.  Now I still am having problems and having many ups and downs, frustrations, worries with this but for me I feel it is the only choice, whether I am foolish or not I believe in it, I want it so bad I just keep going no matter what I face, which I will admit is hard at times.  Sometimes I get scared and I feel like I should not continue but I keep goiing it is a pull I can't even explain.  But I have not technically given this lifestyle the test of time to know that it is safe/healthy sustainable etc, for myself let alone my dad who is a heart patient.  But I believe it is right and it is the answer to health, wellness, diet and so much more.

But I am terrified because I want my dad to follow this lifestyle and I have so much influence over him I might be able to do it.  He is so cute he listens to everything I tell him when it comes to diet.  I tell him eat this don't eat this, etc.  At first he was all about it because it was a typical way of thinking about diet, whole grains, fruits veggies, healthy meats and healthy fats, no salt etc.  But then I found this and I changed my opinion on healthy foods.  So I do have influence and I feel that I could actually have him eating this way but it would have to be slow.  So I started making changes in his diet.  I said ok dad stop eating so much nut butters and nuts, no more olive oil on your salads etc.  Then I said try to eat meat only twice a week please.  He did both these things.  Then I call and say ok dad can you try a week with no meat.  Etc my poor dad was so confused with all the changes but he kept listening.  I made more changes, I said for your snacks (cause he is not ready to give up traditional meals yet) instead of whatever you eat for snack now have fruit and only one type of fruit.  I said snack on a banana, two whatever until you are satisfied.  Etc  Now I tell him try not to have so many beans all the time have sweet potato, white potato and eat more then you usually do (cause he has blood sugar issues we had him watching his carbs and portion sizes).   

Anyway to try and wrap a very long story up, I basically have been making a lot of changes and trying to slowly switch him over, but it is hard because I don't have complete control over his diet (I don't live with my parents) so I can't really look out for him to make sure he is safe and eating enough.  I try to tell him eat as much fruit and potatoes etc as you want.  My phrase to him now is eat more just eat more of the good stuff, your fruit and potatoes.  When before I was saying watch your portions measure everything etc.  Oh and I push and push for him to get sun everyday. And to drink lots of water.

Since I have made all these changes my dad has been in the hospital twice because his blood pressure dropped and he fainted it ended up being sodium/dehydration issues. I have issues with sodium as well actually (been slightly deficient for a while now) He is now having dizziness from time to time and I am terrified I am hurting him.  The thing is the doctor told him to be careful of going out in the sun.  So now my dad is scared to do that, Then the second time this happened they said he is drinking too much water and they told him that his heart can only handle 1.5 liters of water a day.

So I am scared to switch him full to this lifestyle because I don't know if it can work for him.  I believe in this lifestyle so much I am wanting my dad on it but I don't want to kill my daddy.  I would be devastated.  I mean I don't know if I am even doing it right and if it will work for me (even though in my heart I believe it will and it is) I worry he can't do this right cause he is now afraid of the sun when before, as I told him to do, he went out everyday in shorts and a tank top.  He really is so amazing my dad, my dad his whole life has been shy he doesn't wear a tank top and shorts around his own home, let alone outside in front of anyone else but when I told him to he does :-)  (he is slim always has been with pretty good muscle tone but he is just a shy guy so he just dressed a certain way). Additionally, I don't know if 1.5 liters of water will be enough for him on this lifestyle. 

I am scared and I am desperate.  I want nothing more then for my dad to be healthy.  I feel like I can't just have him eating a typical diet, I don't want to advise him to eat things I no longer view as healthy or ethical.  And since I am not familar with heart patients I don't know if this restriction on water is necesarry (doctors say for the rest of his life this is the most liqid he can have, even if he adds water to a smoothie that counts).  

Please help any advice given would be greatly appreciated. 

Sorry this was so long.  If I forgot some details I will add as necesarry, please ask any questions you have or share any insite you have.  I would be so grateful.

Thank you 

Anyway the thing is I am starting to try and do this

Views: 822

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow I am honored and overwhelmed by all your help and advice.  Wow I don't know how to express my gratitude in words.  You are truly a wonder and anybody who knows you is better for it and is truly lucky.  Wow thank you

Aw you are sweet! :)  I'm happy to help! :)

+1 Isabel! :)

I think it's great that your dad listens to you about diet! As long as he's on a low fat vegan diet with lots of fruit and veggies and lots of raw foods too he will overcome!!! Have him do juicing too!

Thank you for your encouraging words.  Yes my heart believe that as long as he is on a low fat vegan diet he will be fine but I still worry about him.  Oh he can't do juicing because juice counts as the fluid intake he is alowed to have so he can't add aditional fluid unfortunately.

Oh ok I see...can u replace a water with a juice once a day?

Actually I am sure that would be fine.  That is a good idea thank you.  I will try that

You might want to familiarize yourself with Dr Esselstyn's work on heart disease. Once I fully digested his information, which is based on YEARS OF CLINICAL STUDIES, not opinion or hearsay... all of my fear surrounding vegan diets and carbs being bad disappeared for good. 

Check out this thread for some links to a Dr. Esselstyn presentation and several other great motivational videos about vegan diets (the talk "make yourself heart attack proof" is near the bottom, in the addendum):

http://www.30bananasaday.com/forum/topics/my-favorite-vegan-speeche...

It's so amazing that your Dad is willing to listen and respects your opinion. That tells me that you have a great relationship with him and that's a beautiful thing. -RB

Thank you.  Yeah my poppy is a special guy and I love him with all my heart.  It breaks my heart to see him in pain.  It hurt inside with a desire to help but I feel stuck too because I feel like I might cause more harm then good and that is the last thing I want.

+1 RawBenny, I recommend Esselstyn's book too.  And T colin Campbell's new one "Whole" too.  
  There is so much confusing information out there.  But eat real foods, whole foods, Whole plant foods.
I'm working with my mom. I took her to the doctor a few weeks ago.  her Blood sugar was high, blood pressure was high. She's on Tricor (I want her off that med right away - I just found information that links that to getting diabetes because it messes with the liver).  At any rate, because my dad is basically dying (dementia and cancer) I told my mom i couldn't lose her too.  I told her NO MORE DAIRY and Oils. No packaged crap.  She is not all raw. But is all vegan and eats 80/10/10 style vegan - fruits, vegies, cooked roots etc.  Her blood has been normalizing and where the dr wanted to put her on more diabetic meds a few weeks ago, she is lowering the dosage of what she is on.  
   So keep at it.  I am convinced the medical profession is creating some of not more of the problems people are experiencing with the drugs they put people on.  My dad has dementia induced by anesthesia.  It's heart breaking the Government is now admitting to about 35% (probably hugely more) of people get dementia from having anesthesia (either too much or wrong type etc).  This is sick.  

Agree, Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn's Book—Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease: The Revolutionary, Scientifically Proven, Nutrition-Based Cure  is really easy to read, inspiring and very helpful.

I was having heart problems earlier this year.  My blood pressure was getting low and when I would stand up or get up I was getting dizzy and passing out or very close to it and my heart was beating fast all out of whack.  All of this went away within a couple weeks of following 80/10/10 with cooked rice and potatoes even (for $ reasons) and my heart/blood pressure problems are absolutely gonzo. of course your dad may take longer because he's older.  you're on the right path.  your dad's going to be ok.

RSS

About

TheBananaGirl created this Ning Network.

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

Aysel is now friends with Houdini Steve Owens and Sugalena
2 hours ago
OrganicMark posted a status
"Why the 2008 Housing Crisis Recovery Is Just an Illusion (w/ Keith Jurow) #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #light http://j.mp/2ODSZ93"
21 hours ago
"Not Transitory - Fed Liquidity Handout Surges To Near $90 Billion #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light http://j.mp/35F4Sl5"
22 hours ago
Frugisaurus and Alex Curtis-Slep are now friends
yesterday
Michael Lanfield posted a video

Return to the Gentle Sea by Michael Lanfield with Music by Dr. Will Tuttle, PhD (Full Audiobook)

Return to the Gentle Sea: For the Love That Lives in Everyone is a book on spiritual healing and cultural transformation on the human relationship to nonhuman animals. It explains how living in a herding culture, eating animals and their secretions,…
Sunday
Michael Lanfield commented on ednshell's video
Sunday
Michael Lanfield and Olga are now friends
Sunday
Raw Aussie Athlete and Lil Green Coconut are now friends
Sunday
ednshell replied to Tams's discussion Best vegan retreats ?
Saturday
ednshell posted a video

Take Back Your Power 2017 (Official) - smart meter documentary

This award-winning film documents the real story on smart meters. + Subscribe for free EMF guide & help stop 'smart' meters and 5G: https://TakeBackYourPower...
Saturday
ednshell posted a discussion
Saturday
Profile Iconmichael wilson, Savannah Holte, tori jacobs and 2 more joined 30 Bananas a Day!
Saturday
"QE4 "Not A QE" Begins: Fed Starts Buying $60BN In Bills Per Month Beginning Next Week #awakening #peace #truth #light http://j.mp/2M9cmoQ"
Friday
Rock and Tams are now friends
Friday
Tams posted a discussion
Friday
"Powell says the Fed will start expanding its balance sheet ‘soon’ in response to funding issues #peace #truth #light http://j.mp/30Zc8ol"
Thursday

© 2019   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service