30 Bananas a Day!

I'm anemic, but have good iron and B12 levels. Any ideas?

I've been following a lfrv diet for 4 years now and I never got my blood tested until last September. I discovered my RBC's, hemoglobin, and hematocrit were low, but my iron was good. Since my B12 was also on the low end I started taking shots and when I got my second tests done in December, my RBC's and hemoglobin went up a bit. I got tested again yesterday and my RBC's and hemoglobin dove down again. I have no idea what the issue could be if my iron and B12 levels are fine. Does anybody have any ideas or advice? I'll post screenshots of my tests down below.

First test: Sept 2014

Second test: December 2014

Third test: March 2015

Views: 2870

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

ok anyway, the MCV and MCH tests are done to find out the cause of the anemia, b12 or iron definciency should give abnormal results in those, which you don't have:

MCV within normal range: normocytic anemia

MCH within normal range: normochromic anemia

Normocytic/normochromic (NC/NC) anemia is caused by sudden blood loss, prosthetic heart valves, blood infection (sepsis), tumor, long-term disease, aplastic anemia, or deficiency of the hormone erythropoietin caused by kidney failure.

Got the rest of my results in. Not thalassemia and everything looks fine so I think I'll just wait and see for a bit and retest again a few months down the line.

Hey Matt. You've got a quick laboratory! This confirms that if you are anemic it's only a very mild anemia. Like you say probably best to wait, keep the fat intake up, avoid overtraining, and see if things get better or worse.

If your only symptoms are slight breathlessness and tiredness there could be some other cause, they're pretty non-specific symptoms. Your profile says your in Canada so maybe your vitD is low? 

I guess it's still possible that you have less iron than is ideal, maybe your body's ideal transferrin saturation is higher than 24%. If your symptoms don't improve it might be an idea to try a gentle iron supplement for a few months an see if it affects your CBC.

btw I wouldn't worry about the oxalate thing. I can't see dietary oxalates causing anemia symptoms in a young person with healthy liver & kidneys. Besides, minimising your oxalate intake requires more than just giving up non-lettuce greens, you'd also have to give up all the calcium-rich fruits like oranges, figs etc. 

RSS

About

TheBananaGirl created this Ning Network.

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

Rock posted a discussion
7 hours ago
OrganicMark posted a status
"Coronavirus EXPOSED By Del Bigtree - What You Are NOT Being Told! #NoVaccine #organic #fruits #vegetables #health http://j.mp/2SMEe4c"
17 hours ago
ednshell posted a video

Even Smart Doctors Can Say the Stupidest Things

In other words, share what you KNOW not what you THINK! I address this issue in my book Goodbye Autoimmune Disease - how all the arguments against my smoothi...
Saturday
Abbigayle is now a member of 30 Bananas a Day!
Saturday
Profile IconCharlie Bullock and gunel ismayilova joined 30 Bananas a Day!
Thursday
Calico Pete left a comment for Angela Hogan
Feb 10
Angela Hogan left a comment for Calico Pete
Feb 10
Angela Hogan posted a status
"Eating a banana."
Feb 10
Angela Hogan left a comment for Banana Boy
Feb 10
Profile IconVIDHYAPRAKASH and Banana Boy joined 30 Bananas a Day!
Feb 9
Keshara Alleyne and Alex Curtis-Slep are now friends
Jan 29
Keshara Alleyne is now a member of 30 Bananas a Day!
Jan 25
"Giuliani: I can't sit by and watch my country be sold out by Joe Biden #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light http://j.mp/36nb5l4"
Jan 25
Calico Pete is now a member of 30 Bananas a Day!
Jan 23
ednshell posted a video

Are Vacuum Blenders Worth It?! With John Kohler

Diving deep into the subject of Vacuum Blenders with the man the myth the legend John Kohler. We go into what are vacuum blenders, what are the advantages an...
Jan 23
"Did Google Assassinate Wife Of Whistleblower Who Exposed The Search Engine? #awakening #peace #truth #love #light http://j.mp/2TIghNE"
Jan 23

© 2020   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service