30 Bananas a Day!

I take offence to being called a vegetarian...I am a vegan and have been for 25 yesrs.. Big  difference in my book! I have no problem with people using the vegetarian lifestyle as a stepping stone or a transition period.. My mother constantly refers to me ,my wife and children as long term vegetarians. ( as if there will be a ending date ) My son not so politely corrected her as he was introduced to a friend of hers who is a ?? fish eating vegetarian !!!! Get !@#$%^ real people if you eat fish you ARE NOT VEGETARIAN!! I supported my son and started a mini feud with my mother, I will not have my own kids mocked by anyone including a grandparent that chuckles as the word vegan passes her lips....Im disgusted by her attitude and made it very clear that if this should be an issue again i will not have the relationship continue... I made a choice when I was a young teen and  was forced to leave my home for it..25 years later i stand by that decision and have no problems terminating ties.....   

Views: 1639

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think Trevor was just acting up to the title of the thread. :)

Wink wink. Nudge nudge. I was just being a wise guy. Just trying to keep the smiles up :)

Aloha nui loa!

Great post - Yep, people ask Vegans "but you can eat fish right?'" as if fish has somehow magically transformed into a vegetable.  Yeah! They did! and they're growing on these seaweed vines on my patio.  LOL  Vegetarian is a loose term. Often they eat things made with milk and eggs or eat fish etc.  While a creature didn't die for humans to get the milk, eggs, cheese, unless those animals are under your control, you have no way of knowing the horrid dirty lives they may suffer.  The word "vegetarian" has been watered down and morphed into so many things that it's really almost meaningless.  Vegans eat plants. Some do it cooked or raw.  There is no, lacto/ovo/fishy/cow Vegan.   I  define myself as "herbivore" for that reason. If people don't get it I ask "what do you think my horses eat? yes, okay, I eat the same stuff" End of conversation.

Isn't it crazy how if a teen or even adult kid asks for money and parents give it to them--even if they suspect it's being used to fuel an addiction? The excuse is "all kids party, all kids wanna eat junkfood at the mall" it's acceptable YET if that same kids says "Can you buy me more fruits and veggies, I'm going vegan" the usual answer is "NO! it's expensive, you'll harm your health, we bought real food, eat it!"  I literally know of teens who are right now saving their allowance to buy their own fruits/veggies.  Parents and family should be overjoyed that young people are becoming smarter!  Good for you!

Trysta- Your  second part of your post has been on my mind all night and i wanted to thank you for opening my eyes, I have been where alot of kids are now. its confusing , difficult , and frightening as a young person deciding to change a lifestyle in a major way, then confronting a parent with it!! Ive been this way for so long that i tend to forget how painful it was to make the swicth.

isn't it crazy how if a teen or even adult kid asks for money and parents give it to them--even if they suspect it's being used to fuel an addiction? The excuse is "all kids party, all kids wanna eat junkfood at the mall" it's acceptable YET if that same kids says "Can you buy me more fruits and veggies, I'm going vegan" the usual answer is "NO! it's expensive, you'll harm your health, we bought real food, eat it!"  I literally know of teens who are right now saving their allowance to buy their own fruits/veggies.  Parents and family should be overjoyed that young people are becoming smarter!  Good for you!

Yes you are right about this !! the site here is littered with young teens that are saying" my parents wont allow me it to eat vegan" (811)    Crazy!!!       people would stop for a take away burger and fries for the kids but pass on some fresh fruit??? This blows me away really!!! it just went off like a light bulb ........these kids are going through exactly what i did years ago!!!  This will for sure change the way I respond to posts in the future regarding parents that dont believe its a healthy diet!!!

eh its just labels. you know what you do. 

Take it easy bro.  Sticks and stones may break your bones, but names will never hurt you.  That's my philosophy about that.  Tell your son that too.  Take a deep breath, and think about how not everyone will see things your way, so you just accept and love them for who they are and get on with life.  Nam Myōhō Renge Kyō

Jeff - ive no problem if people have there own opinions so long as they dont push them on me my family
And very nice profile pic you have .... Very cute baby

Thanks!  She is the most precious thing I have ever seen. 

I understand how your family can push their opinions on you.  From their point of view, they care about you deeply, which includes your health.  They may not understand things the way you do and they somehow feel that your lifestyle reflects on them, which may be insulting to their peers whom do not understand you also.  They will probably be more passionate about what they feel since they are your family, even to the point where they will say or do mean things because they get frustrated also.  If I was a total stranger and discussed an opinion with them, I wouldn't get mad because I can just walk away, but family is different and you have to learn to accept your family for who they are.

Good luck with your family and be healthy and fruitful!

After 25 years i would like to think that have had enough time.. lol..

I try not to tell people what I eat and only do so when I have no other choice.

My co-workers used to challenge me and were nasty sometimes but now...they just explain new people what I eat and are my advocates :) Strange thing for me when they say "no! she is not vegetarian, she is vegan and only eating raw plants!''. New people never challenge me because there is like 3 people telling them what I eat and they don't dare to question that :)

I understand your point Sean. Lucky kids you have!

Prad you are good guy!

Trysta I agree with you.

LOL i have a bunch of co workers that have tried vegan diets or challenges and love it!! Quite a few have stuck it out for along time and most likely wont go back.. people from the outside come in and wonder how can so many vegan people work at the same place??? ... its really fun at staff functions.

RSS

About

TheBananaGirl created this Ning Network.

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

fruity78 replied to fruity78's discussion Where i get tastiest young coconuts in jan/feb?
Sunday
fruity78 posted a discussion
Sunday
Rock replied to RawVeganGamer's discussion Taking good care of your teeth with fluoride.
Friday
Rock replied to Victoria's discussion Info on the death of my fellow faster?? anyone know any details?
Friday
Lynae K. replied to Laura's discussion Loren Lockman (Low-Fat Raw Vegan? of 20 Years) Will Be Speaking in NY/NJ/PA May 24th–30th! Any Interested Attendees??
Friday
Lynae K. replied to Victoria's discussion Info on the death of my fellow faster?? anyone know any details?
Friday
ednshell commented on Rawgasm's group No mobile phones
Friday
OrganicMark posted a status
"One Bank Finally Admits The Fed's "NOT QE" Is Indeed QE... And Could Lead To Financial Collapse #peace #truth #light http://j.mp/2NQ5Jsc"
Friday
Rock replied to Victoria's discussion Info on the death of my fellow faster?? anyone know any details?
Thursday
Thursday
Kris and Kevin are now friends
Nov 13
Sylvie Charron replied to cindy's discussion BEFORE AND AFTER PHOTOS
Nov 13
Nov 13
Nov 13
Sarah Troyer joined TheBananaGirl's group
Nov 13
JP7 is now a member of 30 Bananas a Day!
Nov 12

© 2019   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service