30 Bananas a Day!

Ever since I started making fruit smoothies and keep them in a bottle or even in the blender and put it in the fridge and I drink it the next day or even a few hours later, it is fermented and it does not taste good or as good as it did. Sometimes the smoothie is spoiled and I have to throw it out, even though I do not like to waste food.

Sometimes I leave the container open in the fridge even though it still ferments, it ferments at a slower rate. Why does this happen and how to make the smoothie from not fermenting or at least get it to ferment at a slower rate? I am curious to see how they keep smoothies fresh in supermarkets for weeks, before they go bad.

I just wanted to know because when I make a large 72oz. container smoothie, I might not finish the whole thing until the next day, but it goes rancid due to fermentation.

Any help/tips/suggestions? Thanks.

Views: 3335

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If you leave the food intact, it doesn't oxidise -> profit :)
Whadya say to that?

I have read a few office workers who are strict 811rv and make banana smoothies the night before and refrigerate them and take them to the office next day as a regular long time routine.  They never mentioned fermentation problems.  The only thing I can think of is that they probably had a primo blender like vitamix and even with those I see folks talk about only pulsing rather than full blend to get less air in.  So maybe these things are key to getting less air in the smoothie and lessening oxidation.  Of course it is ideal to make the smoothie fresh every time as nutrients are lost when exposed to air.  I have read that OJ loses half of it's vitamin C in 5 minutes of sitting in the open after juicing.  Some long time 811ers rarely do smoothies anymore because they are sensitive to the deterioration of nutrients.  9 year 811rv, Lukas Ircha, has a video that mentions smoothies as not a whole food which makes a big difference in health, you can view here: Health Secret Which Can Supercharge Your Health

Might be a silly question, but Is your fridge chilled to a proper temp?

+1 Not a silly question, because it solved the problem for me. I just couldn't figure out why mine kept fermenting. My roommate had made the refrigerator less cold; once I made the refrigerator colder, the fermentation stopped.

Sometimes I'll have a banana smoothie that is still good after 3 days of being in the fridge. However in order for this to work, the fridge must be cold, and it's always a good thing to open and close the lid of the container each day to release air pressure. 

Thank you Ryan, I will try that.

It is set half way to the recommended setting "normal".

Freeze or semi-freeze bananas, then blend. After a few hours, it will have defrosted a little and will be more palatable than just a refrigerated smoothie.

Drop that jaw and swallow it :D Get friends that will eat it, or kids.. or pets. Just eat it fasta!! I believe in your digestion!

RSS

About

TheBananaGirl created this Ning Network.

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

Alex Curtis-Slep's photo was featured
Saturday
Profile IconRonald Gordon, Kelli Hayes, Neda and 2 more joined 30 Bananas a Day!
Saturday
Michael Lanfield posted a video
Saturday
OrganicMark posted a status
"Weekend $500B Bank Bailout Needed for Jamie Dimon's Bonus! (Bix Weir) #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light http://j.mp/2NAhwdZ"
Friday
Michael Lanfield posted a discussion
Thursday
Michael Lanfield posted a status
"Wanna visit Costa Rica? Vegans get 20% off accommodations. https://peaceful-village.com/join/renting/"
Thursday
Michael Lanfield and Mindaugas BananaHoover are now friends
Wednesday
Houdini Steve Owens left a comment for Laura Maslen
Jan 10
Houdini Steve Owens left a comment for Laura Maslen
Jan 10
Houdini Steve Owens commented on Jasmin's group European Fruit Eaters
Jan 10
Houdini Steve Owens replied to anna's discussion fruitarians in spain / canary islands in the group European Fruit Eaters
Jan 10
Houdini Steve Owens joined Jasmin's group
Jan 10
Houdini Steve Owens commented on Tabassum's group 811 España
Jan 10
Houdini Steve Owens joined Tabassum's group
Jan 10
Jelle replied to Raini Pachak's discussion Oh, hey.
Jan 7

© 2020   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service