30 Bananas a Day!

My beautiful friend is very religious and recently said to me 'god made humans above animals and they are here for us to eat and use. Even god gave Adam and Eve a loin cloth to cover themselves which had to have come from a dead animal'.

Now, I'm not religious as such, but I actually love how passionate she is about it and don't want to be disrespectful of her beliefs. However, I totally disagree with her viewpoint. My mum has said similar things to me when I've suggested she ditch the dead animals.

Whats the best way to to encourage religious peeps to entertain the idea that animals are sentient beings without coming across as offensive?

Views: 1411

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It sounds like on her side, she might be concerned that you think that veganism is a religious belief, or you might think that veganism some how disproves the existence of God.

People are strange and believe different things for all sorts of reasons, sometimes for reasons that they themselves don't even understand. Like if it sounds like you are trying to replace belief in God with veganism you might get a cold response (see below)

Exodus 20:3-5King James Version (KJV)
3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

As far as the gay marriage issue you mentioned, you never know, maybe she had a gay relationship in her past that she wasn't happy about, or something like that , and isn't open to it for a surprising reason like that. If you decide to go to her church or make her a vegan meal so she can try it out, let us know how it goes, it sounds like it would make for an interesting exchange.

The loin cloth was before they ate from the tree of knowledge. After they ate it they felt shame and had to cover it up.  shame and covering up are paralel to each other. What would be the best way to stay true to sinless life in other words godly life?... to live more as god intended us to live before the first sin was commited...

What I was trying to say is that her argument bares no validity if the topic is about sin. The bible is written for people who sin and try to live with less sin. So when debating about religion and lifestyles no one can actually say who is right or wrong... having agro thoughts towards others also counts as 'sin'. ''The tree of knowledge is knowing what is right and wrong. what is wrong is being out of harmony. Everything tends to go back to a chaotic state and harmony is that which keeps the universe together and keeps life in balance. So if you do something which throws the life balance out you are sinning. '' (as said in my awesome mother's words). 

I totally agree. I see the Adam and Eve story as a metaphor explaining 'original sin' as doing things we know deep down that we shouldn't. Just as eve ate the apple when she knew not to, everyday we are faced with seemingly insignificant choices that have consequences. We can follow that inner knowing or ignore it and go down the path of self destruction.

You should check out Gary Yourofsky's video on this. He was speaking to a bunch of religious people and he said some thing like :If your God support's (then listed all the horrific things that are happening to animals) , Then what does the devil do?!" So awesome. Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiZRc71LQQ8 

Thanks...he def has good way of making people think :-)

I think it's all up to what people want to take from the bible and how they'll interpret it but I'd say I don't believe God put animals on this earth for us to eat just as woman were not put on this earth to serve man and one race to be enslaved by another.

Yeah...she also thinks women are here to serve men...I'm working on that one too! (A bit off topic)
I would say " i don't think he did put animals on this earth to eat and God did not give adam and eve animal skin to wear, he put in the earth naked. Later adam and eve chose to wear animal skin after the ate from the tree of knowledge because they felt ashamed they were naked.
Or say something like "Then let's cook your dog (Or whatever pet she has) God put animals on this earth to eat and your dog (or whatever pet she has) is an animal, right?" That usually shuts them up.
Ezikiel chapter 4 is a pretty funny chapter http://www.usccb.org/bible/ezekiel/4
Is this really in there? Wow!

RSS

About

TheBananaGirl created this Ning Network.

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

Paul Rodgers posted a video

Anger BROUGHT the JUSTICE to Washington DC. Jon Stewart (who's pro-vegan) shames leaders for 9' straight

Jon Stewart & 911 responders go to Washington D.C. for health funding, and faces empty chairs. He gives a 9 minute rant, shaming the Congressional leaders. S...
8 hours ago
allie posted a discussion
12 hours ago
allie posted a photo
12 hours ago
Paul Rodgers replied to RawVeganGamer's discussion Taking good care of your teeth with fluoride.
yesterday
Paul Rodgers replied to Silvery's discussion Is it safe to eat the water that you use to boil brocolli and cabbage?
yesterday
YellowEmperor and Courtney Beth are now friends
Monday
pradtf replied to pradtf's discussion great site with nutritional research information
Sunday
Melissa Grace replied to Melissa Grace's discussion Vegan and Raw Vegan Eco-village(s) “Total Union”
Thursday
Paul Rodgers posted a video

Megan Elizabeth and drewmorg - vegan traitors trash high-raw-vegans

drewmorg has recently interviewed Megan Elizabeth. There was talk of Megan's diet which now includes meat, and more,
Jun 13
Erick Goodman is now a member of 30 Bananas a Day!
Jun 13
Melissa Grace posted a discussion
Jun 13
pradtf replied to pradtf's discussion great site with nutritional research information
Jun 10
Jun 6
Ronnie Smith posted a blog post
Jun 4
OrganicMark posted a status
"What The Secret Space Force Really Looks Like May Surprise You! 2019-2020 #awakening #peace #truth #love #light #now http://bit.ly/2XovQZF"
Jun 4
ednshell replied to Silvery's discussion Is it safe to eat the water that you use to boil brocolli and cabbage?
Jun 3

© 2019   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service