30 Bananas a Day!

Okay, so this is probably going to sound a bit silly but I figured I'd ask anyway...

So I was vegetarian for a year, and went vegan for about four months. It was a constant struggle with a meat-eating family and I finally gave into the constant teasing and bashing I received at school for it and went back to animal products. I absolutely hate it, I feel awful, I'm having acne issues (I'm 16 btw), and what's more is I developed an eating disorder somewhere along the way and am now 25lbs overweight. :( I don't know what to do!

Any advice? My parents are really against me being strictly vegan, and as much as I travel with them and school, its hard sometimes to find proper 80/10/10 worthy meals. 

So I guess my question is- Can I still enjoy the health and weight loss benefits from 80/10/10 while still consuming animal products and/or higher fat foods occasionally? Unfortunately I believe this would probably happen more often than I would like, to be completely honest. I'm just so tired of dieting and restricting, and binging! But Im afraid to do 80/10/10 if the cheating will make me gain more weight with it. Because I figure if i'm eating 2000+ on raw til 4, and then possibly having awful fat/animal products, wouldn't that cause me to gain more weight?

I just don't know what to do. I know I can't do it without cheating right now, I just know that. But I'm really depressed about my weight, and I hate eating my lovely  animals! :( Any advice? Even if it's for something other than 80/10/10 I'll listen. 

And no worries, I'm definitely doing it properly when I move out! Hahaha

Views: 544

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You can cheat as much as you want but there will be consequences of course.  Do the best you can, eat as many fruits and veggies as you can, avoid animal products first and foremost, keep educating yourself about why vegan is so great for your health and the environment and the animals and other people's welfare, keep trying, continuous effort is the secret to success. 

I would continue to track your daily intake on cronometer so you have a good awareness of your fat and protein intake, trying to keep both as close to 10% of calories as possible.  Awareness is a powerful thing.  On that note, I would also keep trying to educate your friends and family, showing them good talks and books.  Most libraries will have The China Study book and Forks Over Knives the video or you can always do an inter-library loan to get them.

consuming animal products comes with a far greater backlash than impacting our physical health, as bad as that can be.

I suggest you devote intense study to the ethics of the animal industries.  Once you know how they operate, you may find yourself far stronger mentally in your consumption choices.

Start with the free film at www.earthlings.com

I wonder if eating raw as much as possible would be fine if cheating only included things like pasta or rice?

Also, have you tried explaining to your parents why you would like to be vegan? Something I find very helpful with my meat-eating family is to avoid the term "vegan". I told my family that I wanted to try eating only fruits and vegetables... and that succeeded whereas a few years back, just saying "vegan" was met with near hysteria!

And yes, I do believe that adding animal products/fats to this high calorie lifestyle will cause weight gain, unless you pair it with a fair deal of exercise.

I don't know if you have the same luxuries I do... but when my parents ask me to eat something (even when I was non-vegan) and I didn't want to eat it.... I just refused. Vehemently. At first they got mad with me (especially when I started denying bacon and hot dogs and... pretty much all animal products at one point), but eventually they just got over it. They tried denying me meals in effort to get me to eat certain foods that I had refused for years (anything with cheese makes me puke, same for warm veggies, red meat, butter. Involuntarily, no less), but that didn't work either, and ny persistance had more than paid off.

Speaking of that, I have a funny story!

A couple weeks after I had given in to pressure and ate a few strips of bacon (which led to vomitting), my Dad offered me some. I told him no, I didn't want a repeat, and as I left the kitchen I poked the bacon and said "Squishy!".

Lo and behold, my Dad suddenly goes into a rage, a' hollering and ranting about how health food is poison and that we are being lied to, no breakfast for me, and how he was "never cooking for my fat @$$ again"...

Apparently he thought I had said that bacon was unhealthy! Says the diabetic man to the perfectly healthy (albeit also obese) child!

Just goes to show how defensive people get when they feel as if an "integral" part of their life is being criticised, huh?

Anyhow, I hope everything works out for you :)

Live long and go fruit yourself <3!

In terms of weight loss, it all comes down to numbers. If you keep the carbs high and the fat really low, then weight loss should eventually occur. There are other health problems with animal products but if you're eating them already, then moving closer to 80/10/10 whilst still occasionally including them is a move in the right direction. It's worth trying to get your parents to understand why you want to do this; show them how this has benefited many people and how you're not just blindly jumping into some internet fad. Why do they want you to keep eating meat? If it's a money thing, then there are always 80/10/10 backup plans (potatoes are dirt cheap and can be a great dietary staple.)

You know what's good or bad for you, you know what's ethical or not, you make your own decision. Don't ask others to find excuses for you. I mean, I was not vegan back then when I was 16, but no one would have forced me to eat something I didn't want.

Whatever you do, just don't touch dairy! If you have acne, dairy is your worst enemy.. personally I have struggled with acne all my life (but it's almost gone on 80 10 10!) so I can honestly tell you to avoid dairy like the plague. Ideally, though, you would also be avoiding any animal products period... Good luck, and keep in mind that 80 10 10 works wonders for acne issues! Too bad I only figured this out in my twenties:) 

I never understood why parents felt the need to control their children's diet. Especially when they want you to be eating bacon and hotdogs instead of plant based foods! None the less, this is your situation so you have to work with it. I can say that before I was really educated about 811 I was just experimenting with eating more raw fruits and veggies. I was still eating foods that were not ideal (like some meat and eggs and junk foods). But I did end up losing weight since I was replacing a lot of the junk with fruits. I was also working out pretty regularly though, it wasn't just the way I was eating. As long as you stay active and try to eat as much fruit and high carb foods as possible and keep the salt low, you shouldn't notice too many weight gain issues.

Were your parents okay with you being vegetarian? If so, maybe it would be easier to be a high carb vegetarian for now. Have you really discussed what this lifestyle entails and how beneficial it is with them? My parents never controlled the way I ate, but they controlled a lot of other life choices. Backing up my choices with research and information almost always got them to back off. I feel for you Sayward, good luck!

do not choice to cheat the animal of its life 

CTFU on rice beans sweet potato pasta  what ever so parents chill out 

vegan is worth the fight

print out cronometer  show how  you are exceeding your needs with plants 

Thank you everyone for your replies. I really appreciate them. Just to touch on a few things;

-I am fully aware what the meat/dairy industry is like and actually have a bit of a reputation for scaring a lot of people with the posts I share and the facts I tell them hahaha.

-My parents will usually support any of my dietary choices, though  for some reason they do not like the sound of 80/10/10. My mother especially thinks its "too extreme" and is very worried about me getting omega 3s&6s.

-I will definitely take your dairy advice. It makes sense to as I'm mildly lactose intolerant anyway. 

-My main thing with cheating is the situations where I'm at my friends house and they're serving pizza, or I'm traveling with my XC team and they're handing out non-vegan snacks, etc. Do you see what I mean? I hate worrying people over my decisions and I don't like having to always worry about bringing my own food. So for things like this if I had a little ice cream or something, how bad do you think this will affect me?

-So if I know I will end up cheating (more often than I think I'm guessing) should I lower my calories? Like I don't prefer to track them, but I mean like have half size smoothies or something?

-Also! For dinner with my family, should I just get into making my own again? They sure love their oil and meat haha.

Thanks to everyone again, it really helps!

~Say

Definitely make your own dinner, make your smoothies as big as you can, if you are full of the good stuff you will want less or nil of the bad stuff.  The healthier you eat, the more you will notice how eating something bad effects you, how will it effect the animal it comes from and the environment is something you'll have to educate yourself on and keep in mind when the time comes.  If you do not partake in a snack or meal with your friends but are having fun regardless, they will hardly notice.  They just want to know that you are enjoying yourself too.  Some really nice reads here on socialization on HCRV: 

Raw foodist, educator, and ultramarathon runner Grant Campbell is a great guy and fountain of inspiration for anyone looking to improve their health":

http://www.raw-food-health.net/Grant-Campbell.html

Grant Campbell: Raw Social Life

Andrew Perlot: How does being raw affect your social life? Do family/friends understand? Does your family eat raw, and if not, does that cause conflict? 

My social life is richer than ever before. The quality of the social interactions in my life is much higher and more rewarding. I seldom go to clubs, cinemas or restaurants as such environments aren't generally conducive to nurturing our relationships with others. Clubs are generally filled with inebriated people engaging in health destroying activities. They are choosing not to feel, which isn't conducive to growth and doesn't inspire or motivate others. 

The cinema is mostly stimulation and an individual experience. 

At restaurants the focus on the food is too high which detracts from the ability to engage in profound, nurturing conversation and sharing experiences. With non-raw, non-vegan food on their plate, people tend to feel judged by our mere presence. Whether someone feels judged or not depends on their perception. There is no judgement given where none is taken, as the presence of judgement falls in the eye of the beholder. 

It becomes almost a moot point, as to whether we have actually made judgemental comments/gestures or not. Developing the communication skills to effectively make it known to others that they are not being judged, gives them the chance to  enjoy their meal. But your dining family/friends also need to know that you are enjoying your “basic salad with no dressing” which is often the only raw vegan meal most restaurants can reliably prepare. 

If people feel that you are “missing out” while they are “treating themselves”, then they won't be able to enjoy their meal. You have to convince them that your tomato/cucumber/celery salad is actually delicious and exactly what you wanted. The psychology behind eating is fascinating :)

Grant Campbell Run 1My family is supportive of how I eat. They think they understand it, but I don't think that is possible without experiencing it. They eat a standard diet. The difference between our diets caused conflict in the past mainly due to a lack of social and communication skills. 

Now I feel I have developed a better knowledge of my needs and the needs of my family/friends, as well as developing skills to effectively communicate about those needs. I find I am now usually able to effectively put in place a common understanding in a timely fashion. In my experience, when our thoughts and actions become congruent with our belief system (our inner truth/innate wisdom), integrity follows which brings the emotional poise and confidence required to create more nurturing relationships.  

Grant Campbell: Raw In A Cooked-Food World

Andrew Perlot:
 What are the hardest parts of being a raw foodist in a cooked-food world, and what do you do to cope?

Grant Campbell: It really isn't very difficult, apart from occasionally holding my breath until I am clear of toxic smells like cigarette smoke, animal-diet body odor or burning oils and animal fats. Now that I've educated myself in nutrition, anatomy, physiology, and a little psychology and sociology, as well as having worked on removing incongruencies from my life between my thoughts/actions and my belief system, I find life to be very rewarding almost anywhere I am.

I think the hardest part of going raw is that it takes time to educate yourself and develop the social skills to effectively communicate the reason for your choices in a compassionate and nurturing way.

I no longer hold judgements of others when they choose a path of health destruction. Life is much easier since I came to the realizations that not only do we have no right to have expectations of others, but that expectations don't bring us any value. Expectations open the door to frustration and disappointment and place unnecessary pressures on others. Instead of expectations and judgement, I hold hope that people find a source of inspiration to entice them to make true lifestyle improvements.

Great article from Robby Barbaro on the social aspects of eating 811rv:

http://robbybarbaro.org/social-situations-nvc-im-quoted-in-a-mike-a...

Social Situations (NVC) – I’m Quoted in a Mike Arstein video!

January 10, 2012 by  · Leave a Comment

I had the pleasure of meeting Mike Arnstein at Health & Fitness Week 2010. He is an great inspiration for me, especially in my pursuit of improving my fitness.

A quote of mine was featured in one of his videos about social situations.

“In my experience 99% of the people inquiring about my lifestyle are not really interested in learning, they are are interested in making sure what they are doing is OK.”

I’m very grateful for his willingness to put me in the video. He is working incredibly hard to spread the message of health. We talked about his website/outreach intentions at HFW and he truly does what he does because he wants to give back. This just another example that confirms what NVC is all about, which is that humans love to give. Nothing feels better than helping somebody and hearing them express how much they appreciated it.

I look forward to making many videos on the topic of social situations. Mike said a lot of stuff I agree with in this video. I am going to interpret and add some stuff to great points he made.

• It’s important to set an example based on action
  • Don’t talk about food/diet with most people
  • If people ask and are genuinely interested, it’s a gift to answer their questions and help them learn more about healthy living
  • Emphasize similarities. Why talk about food/diet when you’re at a main stream corporate office party? If the social situation is not about food, then don’t bring up the subject with people you know don’t live healthfully. That’s just asking for trouble.  Every person can inspire us in some way. Find out what they are passionate about and focus the conversation on that. I promise, you will learn something and you will see them glowing throughout the conversation.
  • When the topic does come up and people ask the inevitable questions, down play the situation. Speak their language. We have to have presence and let the proper words flow based on the situation and person we are talking to.
  • Let people come to their own conclusions, in their own time.
  • Don’t make fun of other people for not having the same perceptions/beliefs as you have. Mike mentions it took him 15 years to get to where he is. Was he a bad person during those 15 years? Was he stupid during those 15 years? Was he an ignorant person not caring about the environment for those 15 years? or was he just human being doing the best he could from his present state of consciousness?
  • Take care of yourself first so you can take of others

I have a one alternative perceptions, I think is worth noting.  Mike said,

“It’s occasionally quite difficult to not be the subject of constant questions, even ridicule, it’s difficult, it’s one of the things that is a negative about eating this diet.”

I love social situations, especially the ones where I am “weird”. They are one of my favorite parts of this lifestyle. I have gained a lot of skills by studying NVC which is why I have this perception and really enjoy social situations.  It’s like running a 100 race.  You will dread it if you’re not prepared and don’t have the skills to do well.  You’re going to love the challenge and growth opportunity if you’re prepared and have the skills to do well.

I’ll be sharing more in upcoming YouTube videos.

All my best,

Robby

The body is genius when it comes to cheating. At first you might not notice much but the closer you come to being 100% you will notice a much different response to cheating. That being said, I would advise anyone to stay as far away from cheating as possible. It delays healing and causes physical and mental anguish. Of course, this may not be always possible so I would follow Freelee's Raw 'Till 4 program to keep you on track :)

Do the best you can, that is all you can ever do at anything.

RSS

About

TheBananaGirl created this Ning Network.

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

OrganicMark posted a status
"DUD PARTS Coronavirus testing delayed after kits found to be contaminated by Covid-19 #NoVaccine #organic #fruits https://j.mp/3aDW0ye"
yesterday
Samantha Marie Alvarez left a comment for Scooby the Cantaloupe Kid
Wednesday
Samantha Marie Alvarez and Scooby the Cantaloupe Kid are now friends
Wednesday
ednshell posted a video

Biggest Deception On The Whole World EndGame Plan

This will alter our lives and paradigm forever. I know this will shock and disturb most people listening. PERSONAL MESSAGE I WANT ALL MY DONOR BOX SUPPORTERS...
Wednesday
Meurig Rowlands is now a member of 30 Bananas a Day!
Wednesday
Samantha Marie Alvarez posted a discussion
Wednesday
Mika M is now a member of 30 Bananas a Day!
Monday
"Bahrain, Belgium Report COVID-19 Treatment Touted By Trump Working For Patients #organic #fruits #vegetables #health https://j.mp/39p6zno"
Mar 27
Cassie K and DreamsofFreedom are now friends
Mar 27
Cassie K added a discussion to the group Gardening for food and fun.
Mar 27
Sarah Troyer and Kevin are now friends
Mar 20
"Visualizing The History Of Pandemics... By Death Toll #NoVaccine #organic #fruits #vegetables #health #longevity http://j.mp/2x0ghPI"
Mar 18
ednshell commented on OrganicMark's status
Mar 16
Miles Brandon is now a member of 30 Bananas a Day!
Mar 16
Profile IconMichael Taube and lizzie joined 30 Bananas a Day!
Mar 7
Rock replied to pradtf's discussion vegan cats
Feb 29

© 2020   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service