30 Bananas a Day!

Obviously I'm not going to do that (stop eating fruit), but I really need some advice.

Baby girl is almost 7 weeks old (first-time mama here).  When she was about 3 weeks old, I got a really horrendous gum infection behind my bottom wisdom tooth.  I tried treating it naturally for a few days, but the pain became too severe and eventually I resorted to penicillin (and this was after giving birth at home with no pain meds!  Gum infections are no fun!).

Fast forward to a few days ago and I finally started to put symptoms together...thick white stuff on baby's tongue, itchy red patches on my nipples, scalded-looking red rash on baby girl, etc...hello thrush!  (Thrush is a yeast called Candida, for those who are curious...)

Anyway, I do NOT want to expose my baby to anti-fungals, especially after already exposing her to antibiotics.  So I researched natural remedies for thrush and found grapefruit seed extract widely recommended by lactation consultants (breastfeeding goddesses), pediatricians, and midwives.  I went out and bought some, treated us both about four times, and then found out that grapefruit seed extract is almost always cut with a chemical solvent called triclosan--a carcinogen.  Seriously?!  :(

So right now, I'm treating us (her mouth, my nipples, her bottom, and, erm, my ladybits) with apple cider vinegar (diluted, of course...gosh that stuff STINGS), washing all the diapers and my bras and shirts in really hot water and drying either in the sun or on hot in the dryer, using tea tree oil and vinegar in the rinse cycle, taking probiotics, and praying to the universe that this horrible stuff goes away.

Of course, though, everyone is telling me that in order to effectively fight yeast, I need to stop eating fruit completely (good grief, this paleo stuff is popular right now!) and take up a high protein low carb diet because yeast feeds on sugar.  It's true...yeast does feed on sugar (especially the lactose in breastmilk), but I know that this yeast outbreak is due to the antibiotics and not my diet.  I've never in my life had a yeast infection before, and I was high carb moderate fat lacto-ovo vegetarian for almost ten years, high carb moderate fat cooked and raw vegan for almost a year, and high-ish carb moderate fat raw vegan for one month as of today...my fat intake is hovering around 20-30% most days.

I need to boost my immune system, but it's really hard with a new baby and lack of sleep.  I'm not used to being sick, but since I gave birth, it's been one thing after another (cold viruses, urinary tract infection, thrush/yeast).  I need some advice.  I guess what I'm mainly hoping to hear from you all is that I can kick this thrush (in both myself and my poor baby girl) naturally even while consuming lots of sugar from fruit, and that once I get my calorie intake and ratio optimal, my immune system will get back to normal and I'll start feeling better.

Anyone out there have experience fighting off the yeastie beastie while eating HCRV?  Thanks so much in advance.

ETA: I do have Dr. Graham's book and well-understand the 80-10-10 diet.  I also do not follow it to a T because my fat intake is usually 20-30%.  This is due to my love of walnuts and cashews more than anything, but I am definitely willing to cut back if it will help kick this thrush.

Views: 1411

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi, I took Diflucan (it's a very expensive pill right?) to get rid of thrush and it didn't work at all. I used this cream stuff, super cheap, and it worked like right away. I was like, "well, why didn't you give me this in the first place!" I just looked it up, it's called nystatin. Have you tried that?

my thrush is pretty much gone now, and looking back i wouldnt have eaten those cooked grains.  i think it slowed my recovery, and messed up my digestion.  i would have been better off with low sugar fruits, and veggies.  or just not eat for a day and give my throat a rest.

The healthiest thing I've taken after antibiotics is Green Vibrance. It has 25 billion friendly probiotics from 12 strains and is a powerhouse of greens. You can buy it on Amazon or at your local health food store and if you check the link and read the ingredients you can get an idea how well thought out the product is. You can also read the reviews on Amazon. 

http://www.vibranthealth.us/?p2=/modules/vibranthealth/product.jsp&...

This is just a partial list of the ingredients. No fillers and they break down the exact proportions of each item.

• Certified organic Alfalfa Grass juice powder
  • Certified organic Barley grass juice powder
  • Certified organic Oat grass juice powder
  • Certified organic Kamut grass juice powder
  • Certified organic Wheat grass juice powder
  • Wild crafted Hydrilla verticillata powder
  • Certified organic Spirulina powder
  • Chlorella (soft cell, pharmaceutical gradel) (Japan)
  • Stabilized Brown Rice bran
  • Certified organic Beet juice powder
  • Certified organic, de-oiled Flax seed concentrate
  • Certified organic Acerola berry juice powder (25% natural vitamin C)
  • Certified organic Parsley
  • Certified organic Carrot root powder
  • Certified organic Spinach
  • Certified organic Alfalfa sprout powder
  • Certified organic Broccoli sprout powder
  • Freeze dried Green Bean powder
  • Freeze dried Zucchini powder
  • Certified organic Kelp (sea vegetable)
  • Certified organic Rockweed (sea vegetable)
  • Certified organic Laver (sea vegetable)
  • Certified organic Alaria (sea vegetable) 

idk i am a raw baby and have never had antibiotics in my life and it means allot to me.

good luck in resisting the doctors who forced that upon you.

So glad I found this! My baby girl has thrush and my instincts say to finally make the plunge and go fully raw. This thread gave me the reassurance I needed. You're all so helpful! Sorry to hear it didn't work for you, OP. I'm curious...did you cut out overts completely, or just keep your intake under 10%? I'm trying to decide about the overts. TIA!

RSS

About

TheBananaGirl created this Ning Network.

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

OrganicMark posted a status
"Trump knocks Mueller out of the ring #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light #now http://bit.ly/2UCShJb"
Monday
Michael Lanfield posted a discussion
Sunday
Laticia Gibson is now a member of 30 Bananas a Day!
Sunday
pradtf replied to pradtf's discussion great site with nutritional research information
Sunday
"You’re Not Dying – It’s the Schumann Resonance! #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light #now http://bit.ly/2HuGyZu"
Mar 13
pradtf replied to pradtf's discussion great site with nutritional research information
Mar 11
Milos Stepita posted a discussion
Mar 10
"Q - The Plan To Save The World REMASTERED #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light #now http://bit.ly/2TjAGtr"
Mar 7
Profile IconPedro Ceron and Jacob Young joined 30 Bananas a Day!
Mar 4
Mar 4
RawVeganGamer posted a discussion
Mar 3
Avi commented on TheBananaGirl's page THE RAW TILL 4 DIET EBOOK
Mar 1
Profile IconAvi and Joyce joined 30 Bananas a Day!
Feb 28
"WHY? Massive Blasts Hitting Earth Continually w/ Dani Arnold-McKenny #awakening #peace #truth #love #light #now http://bit.ly/2To6VHf"
Feb 27
Feb 26
Profile IconTara nuru and Jami joined 30 Bananas a Day!
Feb 25

© 2019   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service