After spending just over 2 weeks at the Fruktifest fruitarian festival in France I have learnt many things
and had some wonderful experiences. The Broceliande forest surrounding
the eco site where we stayed is indeed enchanted. I met some amazing
trees and was humbled by their magnificence. The true embodiment of
unconditional love, providing food, air and shelter for all. What
incredible beings. I was struck by how we have mistreated them for
centuries, killing them and cutting them down to make useless things.
That is another story though. I will focus on some of the more
interesting and positive aspects of the festival.
I met some inspiring fruitarians from Italy who have been doing much experimenting and research into the fruitarian diet. They claim that
although humans came from the tropics, the part of the Rift valley where
we are thought to have originated at an elevation of around 1300m is a
prefect environment for apples and other fruits of the rosacea family
like peaches, plums, cherries etc. Not only do they grow there but they
are evergreen, providing fruit all year round. They claim that these
fruits, particularly the apple are far better for our health than
tropical fruits. Some of the points they made to support this are as
- apples and other rosacea fruits grow at the exact height for humans to easily pick off the trees
- They all have edible skins
-They fit perfectly in our hands
-They are very easy to eat with little or no mess
-Apples can be carried and stored for months
- Trees grown from apple seeds will always produce a new variety of apple
- Apples are the only fruit that promote peristalsis
- Apples have the lowest amount of protein of all the fruits and the highest fructose to glucose ratio. They claim that fructose is actually
better for us than glucose as fructose is transported into the cells
without the assistance of insulin.
-People that base their fruitarian diet around apples and rosacea fruits have better health and longevity for the following reasons:
1. Eating tropical fruits will tend to create a hyperglycemic condition in the body and create nutritional imbalances because of the high glucose levels
2. Acid fruits like oranges cause many health problems including tooth decay, demineralization. They point to people dying on mono orange
juice diets and others suffering health problems as a result of these
3. Long term apple eaters like Yana Louis tend to gain muscle and strength and do not suffer from the same issues people eating acid fruits and tropical fruits face.
Other interesting points about apples are
-The word paradise originally meant apple orchard
-You don’t eat any seeds when you eat apples
-Apples are a very modest, unstimulating fruit and grow all over the world
I have always shunned apples on my fruitarian journey thinking I needed to eat sweet tropical fruits. I remember however, the joy I felt
as a child eating apples. I have decided to include a lot more apples in
my diet and to experiment with ‘appletarianism’ for a while. If apples
truly are the best food for us then I want to experience it for myself.
It adds a completely different dimension to my views on a fruitarian
lifestyle and the ‘perfect climate’. It basically means that we can live
almost anywhere on the planet and be healthy as apples grow almost
everywhere. We just need to start planting apple trees!
Anyway, more on apples later. I’ll keep you posted on how I progress with apples. In the meantime I’m about to set off on my bike from
Bordeaux along the Canal du Midi to the south of France. There are
apparently lots of fig trees along the way to eat from and I’m hoping to
make it to Corsica for some Mediterranean bliss. Swimming, hiking,
eating figs off the trees and sleeping on the beach.
Peace and Blessings to all