30 Bananas a Day!

Hey, to all those who could stand to save some money...  I was introduced to dumpster diving recently and have been doing it since. You will be amazed at the food that is thrown out, it's not even ripe, never mind spoiling! 5 days ago, we got about 40 melons that are still ripening on the counter from the dumpster.

If you go to a small grocery store, not tiny, but small-ish, you can probably find a pretty clean dumpster. It's not really dirty, just some rotting stuff at the bottom. We get out pretty dry and clean at the end and not dirty really.

I have money to buy food but I still go dumpstering because 1) it's a social service to save all this good food being thrown away 2) it makes sense 3) saves me money. The excess fruit and bread + other stuff I do not eat, I give to the food banks. Haha, but I only give them the "healthy" breads, no white breads, I leave those in the dumpster.

Most huge markets use compacters, and organic stores usually compost fruit. So just look around the dumpsters one night in town and find one that is clean and full of good fruit. Some days we get fruit worth $10 dollars, some days worth $350.

Unfortunately, despite our best efforts to convince grocery managers to give us all their old fruit, they have refused to do so. We have tried with almost all the markets in town. I guess it's a business thing. So we go through their dumpsters LOL. Silly people.

Views: 405

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

we don't need a ladder. There are step up on the dumpster itself. We go way after it is closed, never go while the store is open, or the workers will chase you away LOL. Go with a flashlight and dumpster shoes and clothes just in case it is dirty. Usually you can come out clean with may be some fermented food on your hands.

No rodents, no broken glass. Those exist in dirty dumpsters but you can look around for the best dumpsters.
Fruitarian Dumpster Diving would make a great youtube "how to" video.
Have to keep this secret, as we do not want the stores to know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58LbmMdGpzs

Vegan dumpster diver here. I live in a small town - all the produce thrown away is kept cool in the norwegian climate - next to fresh. SO efficient - could live off it alone.

PEACE

Thanks for posting.

I particularly like that several people are using the food from the dumpster that would otherwise be wasted. I know the cost of living is higher in Norway than in most countries. The big advantage for dumpster divers in Norway is that the food in the dumpsters is just like putting food in a fridge or freezer (if it gets very cold).

Like you if bananas I retrieve are very ripe I peel them and then freeze them.

Here is example from bananas I retrieved on Friday;

I sat around a grocery store during their garbage loading time, they sat out a bunch of boxes and carts full of fruit they were intending to throw away but left their in case anyone wanted to get them, I also went in to ask if they would give me what they were intending to throw out but the answer was no. Anyway early mornings and just after closing I found good fruit a few times, once I found exactly 30 bananas some were ripe and some just barely bruised that didn't ripen for 1-2 days after sitting in the sun.
This is fabulous ... I know of a few places in Vancouver
This is awesome lol
This is great. I work in hospitality and I'm often appalled at how much quality food we throw out on a regular basis. Industrial sized kitchens dispose of unbelievable amounts on a daily basis. [I don't even want to think about how much land/ water etc. went in to producing that food, how many people could have benefited from it.] We should definitely promote more dumpster diving! I have absolutely no shame with taking fruit back out of the bin at work. [I'm sure it wasn't in a much better environment whilst being transported to the store anyhow].

I especially love that you leave the white bread in the dumpster :D Great work for sharing the food too!

Oh it's you Ping Pong :D I thought I had found another Norwegian dumpster diver ;)  

hahaha busted!;D

RSS

About

TheBananaGirl created this Ning Network.

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

pradtf replied to pradtf's discussion great site with nutritional research information
16 hours ago
pradtf left a comment for Tams
Friday
pradtf and Tams are now friends
Friday
pradtf replied to pradtf's discussion great site with nutritional research information
Friday
OrganicMark posted a status
"ECB cuts key rate, relaunches QE to shore up eurozone economy #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light http://j.mp/2kymAUZ"
Friday
"Trump Says Fed Should Cut Rates "To ZERO Or Less", So US Can Refinance Debt And Lenghten Maturities #peace #truth#light http://j.mp/2kH4yzB"
Wednesday
hajapapaya replied to TINtininintin's discussion seeking hair and scalp advice in the group Raw Vegan Skincare & Beauty
Sep 8
"Housing Bubble 2.0 - Housing Market Crash on the Way: Shiller #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light http://j.mp/2knZ6ln"
Sep 8
Peter Csere commented on Peter Csere's video
Sep 7
Josephine H Calvi is now friends with Randy Raw, Jojo Marion and Kevin
Sep 6
Lotus33 and Primal Rich are now friends
Sep 6
Scarlet R joined TheBananaGirl's group
Sep 6
"For Second Week In A Row, Fed Buys Treasuries (AKA, QE4!?!) #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light http://j.mp/2lCSaRg"
Sep 5
Amanda May left a comment for Kevin
Sep 5
Igor Puzeev posted a discussion
Sep 3
Sep 3

© 2019   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service