30 Bananas a Day!

If you unquestionably accept the RDAs, RDIs, and other nutrient-intake guidelines set by this world’s medical organizations and government agencies, you’re going to be one confused raw foodist.

Raw fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds are the most nutrient-dense foods on the planet, right? So when we enter our diets into nutrient-tracker websites and software like cronometer, why do we sometimes come up short in a number of key nutrients?

The truth is that the RDAs/RDIs are far from universal. If you actually look at the science you’ll see that those eating healthy diets have radically different needs than your average SAD eater.

I decided to write an article looking into the confusion surrounding eight key misunderstood nutrients.

Read the article here.

Views: 1525

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Andrew

Great article, as always.

Take care

Adam x

Glad you liked it, Adam.

You provide some great nutrition information here yourself.

THAX. THAT WAS ALWAYS MY "WORRY". NUTRITIONIST ALWAYS COME ALLONG, YOU ARE TERRIBLY LAW IN PROTEIN(SHE SAIS YEAH IT IS ABOUT 5%OF AMINOACIDS BUT X6 FOR PROTEIN (HERE WE GO FRUITARIANS;), FAT(SHE BLAME MY LONG PERIOD ON THAT, AND I MUST SAY, DESPITE THE FACT I BECOME MORE CHUBBY AND FEEL LIKE A EMOTIONAL CRAP, I GET IT SHORTER FROM 34->32? IN ONE MONTH, HOW COME?) AND IRON(STILL MY QUESTION) B12(INTESTINAL FLORA, IF WE ARE LUCKY), D(SUN)....

JUST GOT 2OTHER QUESTION MY SELF, WHY THE HELL THE GRAY HAIR IN MOST OF OLDER FRUTARIANS MAN COME SO QUICKLY AND TO MOST COMPARE TO OTHERS? 

Sory! next time I surely switch it of. I didnt know it make a offence or so, I unfortunatelly clic it and I realize it after 2sentence, so I just let it.

Yeah me, too...I am getting always iching from cyanocobalamin injection and it is the only one in here...

But I never was law in B12 and actually overdosed with injection. But it is better to be overdosed, than got into troubles. 

Also I heard that too much B12->law iron, is it true?

I have it little higher but my blood test for iron was ok. Only noone knows why I got some weird law and too slow oxydation in muscles during sport, they blamed B12 or Iron, but both were ok.

I heard a lecture by Dr Neil nedley and he was saying the cyancobalamin b12 is cyanide binding.  He suggested instead Hydroxycobalamin as a much better source.  I did find some on Amazon but it was more expensive.

Methyl cobalamin is also a good form of B12. And they are pretty cheap, you can use sublinguals methylcobalamin like this.

Well done, Andrew! 

Great stuff as always

First, I would ask, are you unable able to gain size or strength? How closely and with what methodology are you tracking muscle/fat percentage? Are you keeping a training log to track what you're lifting?

If you're not gaining strength, you're in trouble. If you're gaining strength but not sized, I don't think anything is amiss.

I personally think the type of training is more important than the food. As long a as I'm eating plenty of greens (like, said, I generally eat 2-3 heads of greens a day) I can gain strength and muscle with a good lifting regime. 

I prefer to keep quite lean and so don't aim for muscle growth. I actually like that many of the types of activities I like to do require that I be strong, but not bulky.

Eating cooked legumes affects other areas of our health. For instance, if you read the section of the article on zinc, you'll see that cooked legumes introduce an antinutrient factor that increases our need for zinc.

I only recomend the 1.2g/kg figure for those who have failed at more moderate intakes. Often, they've only recently started being 100 LFRV and the science indicates a aclimation period when switching to a lower protein diet...perhaps a month or so. 0.8 to 1.0 g/kg will work for most.

I just about never hit the 1.2g/kg, but I'm also not interested in putting on serious muscle.

I don't really have enough info about you to be specific, but based on what I know I'd suggest

1) It doesn't sound like your strength training has been very consistent, so it's hard to say if you're unable to gain muscle/strength.

2) Cooked vegan diets, as well as raw vegan diets, can vary large amounts. Whole foods vs junk foods, few greens vs lots, etc. Crucial differences.

3) It might be worthwhile, when you start regular training again, to get a bioimpedance scale and write down your reading every week or so. At the same time, start a training log to recall how much you're lifting for each lift and what your workouts are. While you're putting in this effort, make sure you're eating at least 0.8 g/kg of your goal weight, and preferably more.

4) I wouldn't consider large amounts of weight loss at the start of a raw diet to be suspect. It's usually water weight and not muscle. However, it's usually fairly limited if you are, as you say, very thin.

Hey

When did you go vegan?

Were you eating wholefoods (whole grains, pulses, veg etc) vegan or did you eat refined foods (white rice, pasta, bread etc)? How many calories were you eating on a cooked vegan diet?

FYI, re: protein you actually need to work out how much protein you should consume to get to your target weight, not your current weight. So it may be more than 66g.

If you are eating enough variety on a raw diet and enough calories, and enough greens, you should have no trouble hitting the 1g/kg mark, and with a bit of selective eating, you should be able to get 1.2g/kg too.

If you are struggling to gain weight and can't afford lots of greens (which are important on any diet), then you could consider one of the other options you mentioned as a supplement to your diet. It depends how they affect your body. However you should be aware that if you are trying to gain muscle on a low protein diet, you really shouldn't be doing running until you have reached your goal weight.

Take care

Adam x

RSS

About

TheBananaGirl created this Ning Network.

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

Stephen posted photos
yesterday
ednshell replied to Silvery's discussion What are some vitamins you recommend?
Saturday
Profile IconStephen and Carolin joined 30 Bananas a Day!
Saturday
ednshell replied to ednshell's discussion Top German Scientist questions COVID19 response in open letter to Merkel
Saturday
ednshell posted a discussion
Saturday
OrganicMark posted a status
"DUD PARTS Coronavirus testing delayed after kits found to be contaminated by Covid-19 #NoVaccine #organic #fruits https://j.mp/3aDW0ye"
Apr 2
Samantha Marie Alvarez left a comment for Scooby the Cantaloupe Kid
Apr 1
Samantha Marie Alvarez and Scooby the Cantaloupe Kid are now friends
Apr 1
Meurig Rowlands is now a member of 30 Bananas a Day!
Apr 1
Samantha Marie Alvarez posted a discussion
Apr 1
Mika M is now a member of 30 Bananas a Day!
Mar 30
"Bahrain, Belgium Report COVID-19 Treatment Touted By Trump Working For Patients #organic #fruits #vegetables #health https://j.mp/39p6zno"
Mar 27
Cassie K and DreamsofFreedom are now friends
Mar 27
Cassie K added a discussion to the group Gardening for food and fun.
Mar 27
Sarah Troyer and Kevin are now friends
Mar 20
"Visualizing The History Of Pandemics... By Death Toll #NoVaccine #organic #fruits #vegetables #health #longevity http://j.mp/2x0ghPI"
Mar 18

© 2020   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service