30 Bananas a Day!

Hey! 

I'm travelling to South East Asia this fall, and will probably hang around for a while, perhaps even years, but I'm concerned about eating greens there! When I was in Thailand last year I can't say I was tempted to eat those greens lying on the tables in the markets full of flies and stuff. Plus, can I find organic? And if I do, I wanna wash it, but how? With bottled water?? 

Can anyone share some insights, experiences or wisdom in regards to this issue? 

Thanks a lot! 

Views: 239

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Bump :)

thanks! Do you find any clean organic greens that you don't need to wash though?

Thanks Renee! 

Anyone with experience from Asia on this issue?

I am on Koh Phangan, Thailand.  There are two organic shops in the main town that I know about, one that does more packet stuff but has a fridge with some greens and the other has more locally grown fruit and veg but availability is variable.  I am just eating a 'Organic Thailand' certified Green Ork Lettuce- 55 Baht for 200g packet.  Not sure about the rest of Thailand though, imagine there will be organic available in most popular places.  You can wash it with bottled water if you wish.  Only 20 Baht for a big reverse osmosis treated bottle, think around 20 Litres.

Imagine it is Green Oak lettuce rather than Green Ork!  But that is what is printed on the packet.:)

Thanks! 

Yeah that sounds good, we will find out on our way! But say we find some nice organic lettuce on an open market, flies and everything around, is it safe to eat?

I would think so.  Are you worried about flies, eggs, larvae etc. on the greens?  Most of my fruit has been exposed to lots of fruit flies so sure I have eaten lots of fly eggs.  I generally cut out all the bits that I see with larvae moving around in them.  Just something you get used to.  Don't think eating them is unsafe in anyway, just not vegan.:)

Not really worried about that no...gotten used to all the eggs and larvae by now...:) 

But the flies may carry disease right? I mean, first they sit on a piece of shit, then on my salad, not a nice combo! 

I hadn't really thought about that.  My first reaction is that it seems like a natural process so maybe being exposed to some level of bacteria is a good thing i.e. keeps immune system strong.  But I have not researched this.

Ok thanks for your input!! 

RSS

About

TheBananaGirl created this Ning Network.

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

fruity78 replied to fruity78's discussion Where i get tastiest young coconuts in jan/feb?
yesterday
fruity78 posted a discussion
yesterday
Rock replied to RawVeganGamer's discussion Taking good care of your teeth with fluoride.
Friday
Rock replied to Victoria's discussion Info on the death of my fellow faster?? anyone know any details?
Friday
Lynae K. replied to Laura's discussion Loren Lockman (Low-Fat Raw Vegan? of 20 Years) Will Be Speaking in NY/NJ/PA May 24th–30th! Any Interested Attendees??
Friday
Lynae K. replied to Victoria's discussion Info on the death of my fellow faster?? anyone know any details?
Friday
ednshell commented on Rawgasm's group No mobile phones
Friday
OrganicMark posted a status
"One Bank Finally Admits The Fed's "NOT QE" Is Indeed QE... And Could Lead To Financial Collapse #peace #truth #light http://j.mp/2NQ5Jsc"
Friday
Rock replied to Victoria's discussion Info on the death of my fellow faster?? anyone know any details?
Thursday
Thursday
Kris and Kevin are now friends
Wednesday
Sylvie Charron replied to cindy's discussion BEFORE AND AFTER PHOTOS
Nov 13
Nov 13
Nov 13
Sarah Troyer joined TheBananaGirl's group
Nov 13
JP7 is now a member of 30 Bananas a Day!
Nov 12

© 2019   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service