30 Bananas a Day!

These are the goodies I got on my latest dives (today and yesterday)!

It was a cold and wet walk there and home, but I got some great stuff and met some friendly South Dakota people.  :D

I got about 20 organic honeycrisp apples (my favorite! What a score!), 3 bananas (don't have any labels), 7 anjuo pears(organic- I ate two yesterday), about 5 huge oranges (conventional- 3 of them are in one of the green smoothies), 4 huge onions (conventional- not pictured), 5 huge sweet potatoes (conventional), 2 huge cucumbers (conventional), 6 zuchinnis (conventional), a bag of snap peas (conventional) and about 25 organic oranges (not pictured).

There was about 4 more boxes of organic oranges and another box of organic honeycrisp apples where this came from- I couldn't carry it all with me, as I don't have a car. what a pitty :(

My point isn't to brag, but to just show you guys how much GREAT produce is out there, just being tossed out (probably because they had a new shipment today - in this case). It's extremely wasteful; a waste of healthy food, when there are too many people in the chicagoland area alone who are going hungry tonight; a waste of energy, both human labor and mechanical to grow food that gets thrown away; and a waste of resources like water, electricity, and petrol (to farm, ship, and then ship to the garbage dump). These apples and oranges are perfect! there's NOTHING wrong with them. They are hining bright in my kitchen, the same way they shone in the store less than 5 hours ago. So what's the difference? Now that someone has put it outside (not inside a dumpster, I might add) to ship to the dump, it makes them dirty and not fit to eat? These beautiful, life-giving foods are more fit to eat than 90% of the crap in an average supermarket. What gives?!

Join the free food movement! Check out your local laws surrounding dumpster diving or "free-lance trash retrieval" as I like to call it. ;) Know your rights and start diving. If someone asks you to leave, then be polite, clean up, and leave. If you want to get involved with something greater than yourself, find your local Food, Not Bombs movement and help them retrieve food and feed the hungry with it! If there isn't a Food, Not Bombs movement in your area, then start one! Why continue to allow this perfectly wonderful resource go to waste? People really need it!

Views: 588

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Today´s find:

and it is like this every day :-)

A 5 pounds bag of apples was thrown away just because of the one on top with the little spot....

nice! where do you go?

Nice one!

Good to see others into diving!

RSS

About

TheBananaGirl created this Ning Network.

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

Profile IconHeather and Ken Ebacher joined 30 Bananas a Day!
1 hour ago
Eileen A. Murphy posted a status
"Just ate my first banana, today!"
yesterday
Profile IconEileen A. Murphy and Evan Vallee joined 30 Bananas a Day!
Monday
pradtf replied to pradtf's discussion great site with nutritional research information
Monday
OrganicMark posted a status
"Housing Bubble 2.0 - Foreclosure Filings Up in 17 States - Fannie Mae Sells Off Critical Inventory #peace #truth #now http://bit.ly/2Hskhez"
Sunday
Meredith is now a member of 30 Bananas a Day!
May 17
Profile IconFedor Malkin and Karmenac33 joined 30 Bananas a Day!
May 16
pradtf replied to pradtf's discussion great site with nutritional research information
May 15
Pete Braglia and ednshell are now friends
May 14
Kelly's photo was featured
May 14
Pete Braglia is now a member of 30 Bananas a Day!
May 14
ednshell posted a discussion
May 11
Windlord's photo was featured
May 11
Paul Rodgers posted a video

Now you can't be vegan 'cause... Mineral levels in plants are depleted. LifeRegenerator lacks sense

LifeRegenerator appears on RawKristina's video and repeats what an anti-vegan told me days before... that mineral levels in plant foods have depleted by 85 percent
May 11
Valentin Otto is now a member of 30 Bananas a Day!
May 11

© 2019   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service