30 Bananas a Day!

After a conversation on another forum I was drawn to ask this question.

From my limited understanding of yoga, it deals with connecting to your inner essence and tapping into a universal oneness but it doesn't have a defined set of parameters or deities making it less of a complete religious system and more of a spiritual template that one builds upon regardless of their religious beliefs; or lack there of. The link below describes it more in the light in which I see it.

http://www.swamij.com/religion.htm

I know a lot of people on this site practice yoga so I would love to hear a few of you comment on this and I would love to know what religion you practice and how it coincides with Yoga principles and practices. I Yoga your complete spiritual system, is it completely separate or does it enhance what ever religious beliefs you hold?

Views: 284

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Great link. I've been interested in yoga but have wanted to do more research to see if there was a conflict with my Christian faith. I'll read this thoroughly along with som other literature I have.
I haven't done a ton of study into this but as a christian I find some of the underlying structure of this to be not in agreement with my faith.  I don't fault others who practice it I just find some of the elements alittle beyond my grasp. It conflicts with the Bible in that as a christian you realize you need a savior (Jesus).  This seems instead to rely on yourself - something "inner" - like we are gods. Which I find unbiblical. I'm not a god or goddess.  I need a savior. And am thankful for One. I can't understand how it works with True Biblical Christianity. But if others want to dabble it's their free choice.  Sometimes I find though people don't think through what they are doing.  Perhaps haven't thought about it.  I guess also if you believe the Bible (which I do) and you read the story in the first couple of chapters of Genesis about how the "serpent" deceived Eve - he told she would be as a god if she disobeyed.  Interestingly she didn't become a god - they lost paradise and we have the world we live in today all because of disobedience and believing a lie.  I don't like to dabble in things that are even on the fringe.  Just my thoughts.
I don't go to yoga classes that are into chanting. I want the exercise aspects of it.
If anything conflicts with your religion, it's time to get a new religion.

I would have to agree. As long as you aren't hurting anybody or anything, I don't see how something as simple as a relaxing, self-awareness form of exercise could get in the way of religion. As a yogi, you aren't technically "worshipping" anything, at least not in the same way that the ten commandments would mean, "have no other idols." I think that yoga is like buddhism - both can be done along with other religions, because they are philosophies, not 'religions'. That's just my two cents. For the record, I'm an atheist, but I believe in reincarnation and spirituality. Basic law of science: "Matter can not be created nor destroyed." I think that plays into souls, as well.

Oh, well. I don't mean to offend anyone, and I'm sorry if I have any information wrong. Feel free to correct me or argue relentlessly. I love a good debate, and I'm interested in learning more about all of your beliefs and ideals.

That's an enlightened comment -
Love it!
You're right that it has been mostly watered down in the west but I was asking from the stance of those that practice using the complete system yet still a base religion. Does any such person exist outside of Buddhists and Hindi?
You can't mix true bible believing christianity with the deep tenets of Yoga which have very mystical roots.  This is something people can't wrap their minds around but there are only two directions to go.  There may be many roads but all lead to only two different choices/ends.  I want to be heading only and always in Bible based beliefs and obedience to the Law of God.  It's the same with diet.  There are many expressions but only really one basic way that leads to true health and that is a whole food plant based diet.  I see the same for a christian - it's a bible based diet.  Does that make sense to you?
Was that No to my last question or No to the main question posed in this post?
What God?  is it the supposed "God within" or the Jehovah Creator God of the Bible.  There is so many variations and things called "God"  but don't go along with the Bible.
Not to argue with you - but Biblically there is a HUGE difference.  I am NOT God and neither are you. Biblically we need a savior and there is ONLY ONE Savior and ONLY ONE way to heaven.  Alot of these "new age" or even "old age" mystical spiritualistic exercise routines may have good exercise benefit but the other stuff attached is NOT harmless.  As I read my bible it says to be careful of such things.   Man has got some warped ideas because we don't base our lives on the bible and realize alot of people on this forum don't even recognize the Bible as the Word of God or any kind of authority. My point is - I do recognize as just that and I take it for what it reads. And all christians should.   Just my thoughts.

RSS

About

TheBananaGirl created this Ning Network.

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

OrganicMark posted a status
"#SerialBrain2 - Winning: Trump now controls the chemtrails! (Pt.2) #awakening #peace #truth #love #light #now http://bit.ly/2GbYV48"
yesterday
"Housing Bubble 2.0 - Foreclosure Filing Onslaught is On the Way #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light #now http://bit.ly/2JFxuAL"
yesterday
Profile Iconchungculands, Deya Storm, Luke Robinson and 1 more joined 30 Bananas a Day!
yesterday
pradtf replied to pradtf's discussion great site with nutritional research information
yesterday
Tanya Popovic left a comment for Rebecca
Thursday
Rebecca left a comment for Rebecca
Thursday
Profile Iconcal bates, mark wilcox, Claire Hyun and 4 more joined 30 Bananas a Day!
Wednesday
Eddie (Mecca Date Farm) replied to Eddie (Mecca Date Farm)'s discussion Semi Dry Medjool Dates, 20 # for $67.00 US. from meccadatefarm.com
Jul 10
Eddie (Mecca Date Farm) posted a discussion
Jul 10
"Deutsche Bank will exit global equities business and slash 18,000 jobs in sweeping overhaul #truth #love #light #now https://cnb.cx/2LFElN9"
Jul 8
pradtf replied to pradtf's discussion great site with nutritional research information
Jul 8
"Most Americans Can't Afford To Pay Rent, Eat Food, Buy Stuff, Or Get Sick (And It's Just Going To Get Worse) #love http://bit.ly/2YBf3mL"
Jul 6
"Media Predictions Of "Tiny Crowd" For Trump July 4 Speech Proven Spectacularly Wrong #peace #truth #love #light #now http://bit.ly/2Xtf1B8"
Jul 6
Jul 1
Melissa Grace replied to Melissa Grace's discussion Vegan and Raw Vegan Eco-village(s) “Total Union”
Jun 30
Joe Williamson posted a discussion
Jun 29

© 2019   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service