30 Bananas a Day!

I'm a 16 year old girl and I run long distance track. I am the slowest of the 10 girls who run long distance. While my speed has improved somewhat, it doesn't compare to that of the others. 

However, I noticed when I do a hip stretch on the other girls (pushing their leg back and rotating it), there's a lot of resistance and they can't even put their knee to their chest. When my hip gets stretched by the others, mine knee goes all the way to my chest and I don't feel anything. All of them tell my that I'm "so flexible". I also noticed that the girls with the most resistance (least flexibility) are the fastest. 

I decided to do some research on it and have found that some articles confirm that increased flexibility leads to decreased running efficiency. What are your opinions on that? Does anyone have any personal experience with this? 

I'm still going to work on getting faster, but I was curious if this was making it really hard for me to get faster, because I have a LOT of difficulty with speed, despite running for over 2 years. 

Views: 1673

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't think being very flexible is necessary to be a fast runner. My flexibility is quite poor but does not affect my stride length, even while sprinting. Incorporating a stretch routine after your runs can be a great thing though. It can definitely help to decrease muscle soreness, and for me, stretching seems to speed up my recovery. Getting faster simply takes running a lot of miles, some speed work, and a great deal of persistence. Stretching afterwards and getting enough sleep, water, and calories will make you achieve your goals faster and easier.

As a competitive collegiate distance runner I can give you some advice:

Yes, there is a good amount of research showing that increased flexibility decreases speed/efficiency: http://www.scienceofrunning.com/2009/08/stretching-is-it-useless.html

With saying this, I do not recommend cutting out stretching entirely. Much of what the latest research is showing is that static stretching (holding the stretch for a long period) prior to exercise reduces muscle tension, thereby reducing efficiency. It is my opinion however that proper stretching can have a role, especially post-workout or later in a day for an areas that are especially tight/problematic. Pre-run stretching should generally be limited  and is best done actively. (i.e walking and pulling knees towards chest rather than touching your toes for 10+ seconds).

Generally in my experience with top level runners or myself, we're much LESS flexible than the general population. There are many views on whether this is good or bad, but it does help improve muscle tension therefor increases running efficiency.

Overall though, stretching has so little to do with improving performance. It's the specific training that matters. :)

What we are taught in chiropractic college is that joints with the most mobility/range of motion usually have the most issues, such as the neck (cervical spine), shoulder(glenohumeral joint), and hip(acetabulofemoral joint). So maybe if a joint/muscle/ligament has a more unidirectional movement it can operate more efficiently? I dunno, you do see pro athletes stretch before they're active though.

This.  True.  

Keep on running though.  Better to have muscles supporting those overly mobile joints than to let them waste.  

i've noticed also that the faster runners are less flexible.  I don't think i'll ever be old and crippled because of running too much and not stretching enough.  i find it fun to stretch though every so often but definitely not before runs.

Flexibility doesn't affect running speed if you strength to carry it. Of course , we aren't talking about contortion. Active flexibility is preferable over passive, though passive flexibility has its place somewhere.

Range of motion accomplished without external aid, controllable my nervous system is best kind of flexibility...Improve mobility, and good flexibility will come along with it.

what you are focusing on is worthless flexibility ,at least for running purpose.

RSS

About

TheBananaGirl created this Ning Network.

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

Rawberry replied to Robert K's discussion LFRV Stuffed Tomatoes
Friday
OrganicMark posted a status
"5 Problems with Universal Mail-In Voting #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light https://j.mp/31wKT7c"
Thursday
"Trump goes one-on-one with Lou Dobbs | EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light https://j.mp/33z8YMX"
Thursday
ednshell and Melissa Grace are now friends
Aug 4
Melissa Grace replied to Malorey Adams's discussion Is the raw till 4 diet helpful to those with autism?
Aug 4
I'm 100% RAW:) and frugivore. replied to Dan Leusink's discussion Have near death experiences inspired others to seek this lifestyle?
Aug 4
Melissa Grace replied to Dan Leusink's discussion Have near death experiences inspired others to seek this lifestyle?
Aug 4
Melissa Grace left a comment for Valentin Otto
Aug 4
Melissa Grace posted a status
"Wishing for interest in Kins Domains amoung raw vegans. I know that in all climates there are methods of returning to our pristine origins."
Aug 4
PK left a comment for Windlord
Aug 3
"Doctors Speak Out - Frontline Doctors, Press Conference, D.C. - 28 July 2020 - Day after censorship #truth #light https://j.mp/2P7j7bC"
Jul 30
"The Big Tech CENSORSHIP SCANDAL is Going Just As Viral As The BANNED DOCTORS VIDEO!! #awakening #peace #truth #light https://j.mp/2Dk7pru"
Jul 30
"Bill Gates & Fauci!!!! The Truth Is Here and People Need to Take This Worldwide #awakening #peace #truth #love #light https://j.mp/39DNjnV"
Jul 29
Made posted a discussion
Jul 27
Ryan S and Jean-Marc are now friends
Jul 26
Shvara posted a status
"I am for pineapple!"
Jul 23

© 2020   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service