Hello fellow high carb fruit bats!
I need some help. I have been following the 90/5/5 high fruit, raw till 4 route for about three months.
I am not concerned about weight loss, but am seeking the longterm health and vitality. Recently, I have developed serious, itchy, flaky dandruff and perpetually dry skin all over. I love love love how I feel on this lifestyle, and am curious if my dryness could simply be related to extended detox symptoms.
Here are the facts:
1) I might need to up my calories and drink more water. I currently hover around 2200 cals per day, raw till 4, and I drink 2 liters of water per day.
2) I sleep 9 hours per night consistently.
3) I do light exercise three times per week. I am planning to increase intensity as I heal from a past of calorie restriciton, binge-eating on SAD vegetarian food, laxative use and over-exercising.
4) Is it possible to avoid overt fats longterm without the side effects of this dandruff/dryness? I just feel so great overt-free, but I understand maybe it is not sustainable?
5) I was no-poo for a while after years of using standard shampoo. Unfortunately, the dandruff has gotten so bad recently I have started using a more serious (read: toxic/chemicals!!) dandruff shampoo. I know that if my diet is all squared away, I should not need the heavy duty dandruff shampoo--but I feel like PigPen up in here with all my flakes, guys!
6) I am 5'6", 129 pounds, 29 years old, so I know I will lose some of that pudge (it's not muscle right now, folks!) over the next handful of years. I am NOT concerned about weight loss, just health and vitality.
7) Seriously--what overt fats do you eat and how often? I am just curious what works for others.
Any words of wisdom at this point would be greatly appreciated. I have been a silent snooper on this site for months, wondering when I would encounter an issue within myself solid enough to ask for help. Well, here it is!
Lots of love to all,
I've been thinking that cooked food like potatoes don't contain enough essential fats.
If you eat grains you get plenty of omega 6 but omega 3 can be low, which I think is a very bad place to be in.
100% raw=lots of fruits and greens=perfect amount of EFA's
I eat a lot of cooked food and have been adding a little bit of fat with improvements as a result.
Sweet potatoes are the only cooked food I can confidently recommend to anyone. Other cooked food is dehydrating.
Hydration is such a simple/complex issue. Do your best!
Hi Brad, Thank you so much for your response. I am very thankful to hear that you have had better luck adding fat in with your cooked foods.
As usual, the answer is almost always add fruit!
I have to remember I have only been doing this for three months, so I am still in teh ugly duckling phase it seems!!
Thank you again so much!
"1) I might need to up my calories and drink more water. I currently hover around 2200 cals per day, raw till 4, and I drink 2 liters of water per day."
Yes and yes. CV is dehydrating, so you need to up your water even more so than you would if fully RV.
That's what I have been assuming! Thank you so much, Spiffy!
Thank you so much, Sabine, for your response. I can tell I have been tip-toeing around on 811 the past few months and really need to increase calories and water (especially as I am raw till 4).
It's hard sometimes when you're doing everything in the name of longterm health and then end up feeling like a leper/scaly troll! HA!
I love all the food, so no complaints here!
Thank you again--I am going to try the veg glycerine, too.