30 Bananas a Day!

Hi All,

I'm flying into Costa Rica for thee first three weeks in June to do a reconnaissance trip.  I have a 3 year plan (now started year 2) to cash in all my savings and move there, setup on my own with a small piece of land and some fruit trees and be self sufficient.

I've done quite a bit of research so far and intend to spend most of my time down in the southern pacific region checking things out.

I just wanted to put this out there for the attention of anyone on the forum who's currently in Costa Rica, has been there, thinking of doing something similar, etc. for your input and/or ideas.  Although I've done a fair bit of research so far i'm sure there's way more for me to learn about the country, etc. so any feedback is much appreciated.

Cheers.

Views: 317

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I went to Costa Rica with an idea I would want the same as you do. I was there for four months and learned I would not want to live there. But If I were I would pick somewhere a bit higher in altitude (so it's cooler) around San Isidro. San Isidro has the best farmers market of Costa Rica and even has an organic section (mostly just organic veggies).

Do you know where you're going to stay? I stayed with a few farms that I found through WWOOF and helpx.net that I can't fully recommend...

Contact haribon here on 30bad. He owns land in Costa Rica and has spent a lot of time there. I almost went to stay at his farm but then he decided to come back to the states.

Thanks for the info Ruby.  San Isidro is a place I was heading to yes, my aim is to explore mainly around the southern pacific region.  I had read about the climate and how its more pleasant at a higher elevation so glad to hear that's what you discovered.

What made you decide you didn't want to live there, anything in particular?

The climate, I realized how much I would actually miss four seasons...I love fall and spring

The strange americanized culture. I felt like I would feel even more alone there.

And the fruit was really quite disappointing. Because it is so heavily sprayed, for one. They get chemicals the US bans and ships over there. We literally could taste the chemicals in the papayas- they started to make us feel sick. It was almost heartbreaking, that this could be such an amazing fruit paradise, but like everywhere else most don't give a crap and are happier with packaged 'food'.

I have a step brother who owns gorgeous property in Monte Verde. He's been going back and fourth with his young family living there and working on building a house. We visited them while we were there. It was confusing and uncomfortable, we could tell they were unhappy. I have recently heard they've decided to just stay in the states and rent out there place in Costa Rica.

I just think that its a lot harder than one may think to leave everything familiar behind. I don't mean to dissuade you, I still had a good experience that just lead to me being more appreciative of what I have here. My favorite part of Costa Rica is the rivers. Following them, swimming and hopping rocks in the thick of the jungle- very amazing!

I'm thinking of doing something similar in CR. Living simple in nature and growing fruits. For me its important that there is organic vegan foods around, but from what i've heard you sure can find organic fruit even tough most is sprayed. Seem to be lots of fruit munchers living there too :) Let me know how it goes for you!

Ahahah Same for me!
I have the same kind of project :P
Please everyone who goes to CR keep me posted also, I would love to read Feedback!

N.b If anyone interested about going to Brasil, I have a land and fruits trees waiting for me.. But I won't go there alone, I'm not a monk yet..!
Waiting for news!

haha great to hear tom :D
how's it going with your plans for CR or brasil?

Umm I have to decide!
I hesitate between Bresil and Costa Rica,Ecuador,nicaragua.. (central, south américa..)

Bresil have some advantage and some inconvenient.

advantage :

-We have a place to live for free
-There is a lot of fruits(free) available there

-Possibility to make as much garden as we want
-A house, electricity
-A waterfall
Inconvenient (for me):
-It's portuguese and I'm learning spanish Right now
-I don't want to go their alone ( I found only one person, at this moment)
-It's far from the city, if we need more fruit or anything else it will be a little complicated to get them.

I'm waiting for the pictures!!

Then I really hesitate because
-I would like to perfect my spanish... And not my portuguese right now.
-I also need human interaction.
- that's it. :)

i can understand your situation. right now i feel it's more important to have right people around than to find the "perfect spot". but free fruit and living sounds like a nice thing too. hope u find the place u are looking for!

This is exactly what we plan to do also, we have decided that the southern pacific region would suit us best too, we will have capital to buy land or share the costs, we also plan to be self sufficient there, it is also a dream of ours to build some sort of raw vegan retreat eventually... we are in the uk right now... also if we grow our own fruits we will not have to worry about pesticides :) 

How far have you got in your research Pak Choi, any plans to do a recon trip or something similar?

yes we are just going to go for a month or two first, we were going to volunteer but we have a young son who we are taking with us, Raw-treat looks like a cool place to stay and learn..

http://rawtreat.weebly.com/the-project.html

Yeah, saw that - looks like a good place.

RSS

About

TheBananaGirl created this Ning Network.

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

Paul replied to Raini Pachak's discussion Oh, hey.
yesterday
Silvery posted a discussion
yesterday
Silvery replied to Rock's discussion This site...
yesterday
BananaStatesofMurica! RAW OR DIE replied to Rock's discussion This site...
yesterday
Profile IconJan and Zahra joined 30 Bananas a Day!
Saturday
ednshell posted a discussion
Feb 18
OrganicMark posted a status
"A CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER TO THE CONSTITUTIONAL REPUBLIC OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA #peace #truth #love #light http://j.mp/2uRCmzd"
Feb 18
Rock posted a discussion
Feb 17
OrganicMark posted a status
"Coronavirus EXPOSED By Del Bigtree - What You Are NOT Being Told! #NoVaccine #organic #fruits #vegetables #health http://j.mp/2SMEe4c"
Feb 17
ednshell posted a video

Even Smart Doctors Can Say the Stupidest Things

In other words, share what you KNOW not what you THINK! I address this issue in my book Goodbye Autoimmune Disease - how all the arguments against my smoothi...
Feb 15
Abbigayle is now a member of 30 Bananas a Day!
Feb 15
Profile IconCharlie Bullock and gunel ismayilova joined 30 Bananas a Day!
Feb 13
Calico Pete left a comment for Angela Hogan
Feb 10
Angela Hogan left a comment for Calico Pete
Feb 10
Angela Hogan posted a status
"Eating a banana."
Feb 10
Angela Hogan left a comment for Banana Boy
Feb 10

© 2020   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service