30 Bananas a Day!

Hey guys, this is my first discussion!

Anyway, I can't be fully raw at the moment because as a teenager I live with my parents  and don't have time for a job(though this will hopefully change within a year.)  I currently eat around 1200-2000 calories of fruit and veggies, however since I don't want to under eat, I want to incorporate some cooked carbs.  Due to a lot of what I have seen on this site, it's not optimal, but fine to eat 80-10-10 cooked vegan if you can't go fully raw at the time.  

So here's my question...

I'm very confused about grains.  Which one's are okay to eat?  What about gluten?  What are other cooked foods okay to eat?

Thanks so much!

Zoe

Views: 2338

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I know right? Coincidentally, I started a vinyasa yoga class last week(; 

My favorites are brown rice and quinoa. Lentils are decent as well, but can be hard for some to digest. Potatoes are usually cheap and easy to access. Good luck! :)

Many grains, particularly the gluten-containing ones, cause an autoimmune reaction in your bowels where your body confuses the proteins in the grains with the proteins in your bowel walls (since they are very similar), and begins to break down both, causing holes in your bowels. You don't want holes in your bowels. Tropical tubers (sweet potato, yams, taro etc.) are your best bet, temperate tubers (rutabagas, turnips, potatoes) are your second best bet, and gluten-free grains (quinoa, millet, buckwheat) your third best bet.

I got reprimanded here for even mentioning lightly steaming cabbage to make it pliable as a wrap (?)   I laughed it off.  There are purists who will discourage you from eating something steamed/cooked in my opinion that attitude is counter productive. Oats, quinoa, amaranth, tubers, especially sweet potatoes are what I have on hand if I can't be totally raw at times. Put it this way, eating cooked is a temporary thing due to circumstance and you're still way healthier as a vegan! Congratulate yourself on being a teen and embarking on a healthy lifestyle - good for you!

funny, the same has happened to me. The few times I've talked about eating cooked low fat vegan on this site, I've experience anger and hatred from some of the purists here towards me. I actually refrained from posting pretty much since then. I'm actually surprised this discussion hasn't been taken down yet. lol. Anyway. I absolutely agree with you, it is completely counter productive to discourage a healthier vegan cooked diet when most ppl will need it as a transition phase and sometimes as a complement to the raw diet itself. I'm really grateful to see that after all we're not the only ones thinking this way, this discussion is filled with alike responses! :)

I hope it doesn't get taken down!  I don't want to promote anything other than HCRV, since going raw is optimal, but in my case I really can't do it(while living at home.)  I don't want to under eat, because I don't want to give a bad reputation to the vegan diet!

Yeah, I'd rather not be hungry!  I've watched some of Harley's videos and he seems to promote eating cooked vegan when you can't go fully raw(at least I'm pretty sure.)  I plan to go on banana island as soon as I can, but I need something for the next few years(or hopefully sooner!)

Fruit is always best, you can get great discounts by going into the store just before it closes because this is when they put out fruit with reduced prices,sometimes 1/4 or even 1/10 of the price because they want to get rid of 'overripe' (perfectly ripe) fruit. Also shopping wholesale and eating lots of bananas is always a better option than eating cooked carbs.

However, if you really must eat some cooked vegan foods then stay away from grains and stick to tubers like sweet potato, potato, yam and parsnip etc. I used to make dishes like vegan sheperd's pie, ratatouille or low fat sweet potato chips with a salt free sauce and so on. There are so many vegan foods in supermarkets today, just make sure they are low sodium and low fat.

If you are old enough, it is a great idea to find a saturday job to pay for your bananas/staple for the week, and your parents could provide salad veggies and other fruits.

I would eat plain steamed/baked unpeeled potatoes, cooked wholegrain rice or cooked millet(millet is better then the other ones because it is alkaline not acidic). Maybe some steamed/baked veggies with that-broccoli, cauliflower, carrots or eggplant,zucchini... Just make it tasty:)

No salt, just maybe some spices(chives, oregano, basil)-if you need them. Drink more water during the day when you're eating cooked foods.

And have big green salad before you start to eat cooked.(iceberg lettuce,celery...+ maybe sprouts)

I would not recommend beans or lentils, I was always extremely gassy when eating them. Corn and peas were OK for me.

I really love to see young people adopting this lifestyle!! Makes me proud :) And the future looks bright!

Haha thanks! :)

In my experiance, things like potatoes and and sweet potatoes weren't as "draining" as grains.

RSS

About

TheBananaGirl created this Ning Network.

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

Aysel is now friends with Houdini Steve Owens and Sugalena
yesterday
OrganicMark posted a status
"Why the 2008 Housing Crisis Recovery Is Just an Illusion (w/ Keith Jurow) #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #light http://j.mp/2ODSZ93"
Tuesday
"Not Transitory - Fed Liquidity Handout Surges To Near $90 Billion #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light http://j.mp/35F4Sl5"
Tuesday
Frugisaurus and Alex Curtis-Slep are now friends
Monday
Michael Lanfield posted a video

Return to the Gentle Sea by Michael Lanfield with Music by Dr. Will Tuttle, PhD (Full Audiobook)

Return to the Gentle Sea: For the Love That Lives in Everyone is a book on spiritual healing and cultural transformation on the human relationship to nonhuman animals. It explains how living in a herding culture, eating animals and their secretions,…
Sunday
Michael Lanfield commented on ednshell's video
Sunday
Michael Lanfield and Olga are now friends
Sunday
Raw Aussie Athlete and Lil Green Coconut are now friends
Sunday
ednshell replied to Tams's discussion Best vegan retreats ?
Saturday
ednshell posted a video

Take Back Your Power 2017 (Official) - smart meter documentary

This award-winning film documents the real story on smart meters. + Subscribe for free EMF guide & help stop 'smart' meters and 5G: https://TakeBackYourPower...
Saturday
ednshell posted a discussion
Saturday
Profile Iconmichael wilson, Savannah Holte, tori jacobs and 2 more joined 30 Bananas a Day!
Saturday
"QE4 "Not A QE" Begins: Fed Starts Buying $60BN In Bills Per Month Beginning Next Week #awakening #peace #truth #light http://j.mp/2M9cmoQ"
Friday
Rock and Tams are now friends
Oct 12
Tams posted a discussion
Oct 11
"Powell says the Fed will start expanding its balance sheet ‘soon’ in response to funding issues #peace #truth #light http://j.mp/30Zc8ol"
Oct 11

© 2019   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service