30 Bananas a Day!

All right guys! I don't know if you've had a similar experience as myself, but I started body building a couple of years ago and got quite into it. I put on a lot of muscle in the space of a year but that was before I turned vegan. This meant I was consuming eggs, meat and whey protein every day! For many reasons I changed to a plant based diet and believed I would get all the protein my body needed as long as I ate a large amount of fruits and veggies. However, unfortunately I slowly saw myself lose a lot of mass. I'm attaching some pics so you can see my rollercoaster journey. I am now listening to and reading stories from people who have built muscle on a plant-based diet and I have both increased my calories and started experimenting with plant based protein supplements. I have started to see a significant increase in my muscle mass and strength, as well as my recovery time reducing massively! If anyone out there is currently successfully making gains on this diet, or already has, I'd hugely appreciate any advice you could give on how you have achieved this. Similarly if you are struggling to do so, please ask any questions you want and lets start a blog going! Believe in yourself! Peace!

Matt

The beginning

Peak from animal products

Vegan muscle loss

Recent vegan gains

Views: 3949

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Impressive! This post is a godsent! I'm struggling through the same. I just started out with 5/3/1 'boring but big' and some days, I just can't get out of bed because my legs are raging sore :(

Matt, can you please please please share more on what you eat in a day, how many calories and what high calorie foods enable you to get that many calories in? I am unable to get enough calories needed to grow and I can't just keep eating dates all the time. I limit intake of fats which are another easy source of high calories.  

Are you still following 80/10/10 or is your fat and protein consumption higher? I take vega performance protein supplement to get higher protein (fruits and veggies just don't give you enough if you are trying to build muscle mass, I have heard other vegan body builders say that too). Do you take any other supplements?

How much greens do you get in in a day? I get 3 romaine hearts in a day and add green juice a few times a week, its just hard for me to eat too many greens, it way too much volume for my kinda little stomach and too much chewing and time than I can comfortably spend.

Thanks for your reply Yogi! This is the first time I've chatted with someone sharing  this experience with myself!

My calories will vary in the week depending on my training schedule. I do heavy weights in the gym usually 5 times a week where I try to do a lot of compound exercises and hit all the muscles depending on how they feel. I will cycle to and from the gym which is a 20 minute journey each way. On these days I'll probably consume about 3,000 - 3,500 calories. But to be honest, I don't really count. I always just listen to my body and give it what I believe it needs. I'll have something very light before I go to the gym, like an apple of raw fruit bar as I'm not hungry, but I know I'll need the glycogen.

I'll also do some sort of high intensity training a couple of times a week. I do boxing training which is 1.5 hour intense sessions. I'm also helping my bro in law to prepare for a charity boxing tournament in November so I perform circuit and HIIT training with him once or twice a week (I'm almost a fully qualified PT). On these days I might consume a little less, but again it depends on how I feel.

Yes, I eat a lot of greens! My blender is my best friend. I cram it fully of greens like kale and spinach and add fruits, sometimes soy or almond milk, along with a protein powder. I was taking a blend of hemp, pea and brown rice and that lasted me over a month, where I saw decent gains in muscle size and strength. I'm currently experimenting with Sunwarrior blend as I heard good things about it, but a little early to say how effective it is!

I don't really follow 80/10/10. I believe everybody is different and for various reasons one diet might not work well for every individual. I have definitely increased my protein and my fat percentages as I've also heard from vegan bodybuilders people who put a lot more stress on their muscles will require more protein if they want to grow. I enjoy peanut butter and other raw nuts as I love the taste and it's an easy way to increase my calories. I usually have these after I've trained or later in the day as I don't feel as energetic as when have lighter meals, but this is typical.

Hope this helps mate! 

convert it to 70/15/15  and get omega 3.It worked for me

Thank you! Those links were very helpful. I will read "The new High Intensity Training", just ordered a copy!

awesome, I have read it, it is excellent! 

Charlie has an e-book out now too: http://www.vibranthealthandwealth.com/bookstore/bookstore-individua...

Looks useful but expensive at $25 for ebook!

Thank you!!

3000 is the bare minimum for men, if you are body building you'll need 4000+ at least!  you were under eating!  what most people think is muscle is actually fat within the muscle so when you go on a low fat diet those muscles look leaner which many mistake for muscle loss.  but if you were under eating you could have lost muscle.  if you started eating more calories or started eating things that made you retain water in your muscles this may increase their size. the key to body building on HCRV is to carb up and lift heavy weights.  see the links I posted above, learn from the experts.

Thanks Kevin! Sounds like you've suffered more than I have!

I was recently in Colombia where rice and beans is like a national dish. I absolutely love them and I also try to get increased amounts of protein from things like beans, and lentils. Delish! I've got some good recipes if you're interested?

Thanks Sam, thats very inspiring!

Can you give more information of your training routines, how many times a week do you lift, do calisthenics and sprint? and how many calories a day do you eat? Thanks!

RSS

About

TheBananaGirl created this Ning Network.

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

Rawberry replied to Robert K's discussion LFRV Stuffed Tomatoes
Friday
OrganicMark posted a status
"5 Problems with Universal Mail-In Voting #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light https://j.mp/31wKT7c"
Thursday
"Trump goes one-on-one with Lou Dobbs | EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light https://j.mp/33z8YMX"
Thursday
ednshell and Melissa Grace are now friends
Aug 4
Melissa Grace replied to Malorey Adams's discussion Is the raw till 4 diet helpful to those with autism?
Aug 4
I'm 100% RAW:) and frugivore. replied to Dan Leusink's discussion Have near death experiences inspired others to seek this lifestyle?
Aug 4
Melissa Grace replied to Dan Leusink's discussion Have near death experiences inspired others to seek this lifestyle?
Aug 4
Melissa Grace left a comment for Valentin Otto
Aug 4
Melissa Grace posted a status
"Wishing for interest in Kins Domains amoung raw vegans. I know that in all climates there are methods of returning to our pristine origins."
Aug 4
PK left a comment for Windlord
Aug 3
"Doctors Speak Out - Frontline Doctors, Press Conference, D.C. - 28 July 2020 - Day after censorship #truth #light https://j.mp/2P7j7bC"
Jul 30
"The Big Tech CENSORSHIP SCANDAL is Going Just As Viral As The BANNED DOCTORS VIDEO!! #awakening #peace #truth #light https://j.mp/2Dk7pru"
Jul 30
"Bill Gates & Fauci!!!! The Truth Is Here and People Need to Take This Worldwide #awakening #peace #truth #love #light https://j.mp/39DNjnV"
Jul 29
Made posted a discussion
Jul 27
Ryan S and Jean-Marc are now friends
Jul 26
Shvara posted a status
"I am for pineapple!"
Jul 23

© 2020   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service