30 Bananas a Day!

Hello All!  I am testing my blood sugar levels and they have been completely normal before and after meals except today when I ate a smoothie of 7 banana, 5 dates, 1 pint of strawberries.  My blood sugar soared to 244 from 104 which apparently is hyperglycemia.  I also had blurred vision and felt ecstatic. 

What is my problem?  What am I doing wrong?  Im 110 pounds and do not think Im eating more than 10% fat.  Ive always been sensitive to sugar but thought if I was following this correctly my blood sugar would not soar.

I would be grateful for any input and any one else's experience in this.

Angela

Views: 4273

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I tested my blood sugar after not eating for a while and then downing a banana date smoothie and it sky rocketed and stayed up higher than normal. I also tested after having late nights going to bed around 11pm. Also got negative readings.

Food is one part of the puzzle. Looks like you got that right. If I lived with you for a week I could pick what else you are doing wrong.

Also one has to look at how long you held at 244 for. Its a bit like being able to hit 1000 watts at 70kg on the bike but how long can you hold it there for? BIG DIFFERENCE lol!

+1 DR.  It is normal for some people to spike up to 400 after a meal, and for blood sugars to stay elevated for up to four hours.  Actually, it is not blood sugar that is the enemy.  We want a constant stream of blood sugar for consistent energy throughout the day and not have a crash and burn.  

Where the love goes wrong is when people chronically eat starchy foods and that triggers a high blood sugar high insulin low blood sugar merry go round eventually leading to chronic disease.  

Peace, PK

Are you eating this diet 100%?  If you eat oatmeal for breakfast and fruit for lunch, chances are it is the oatmeal messing up the blood sugar and not the fruit.  Starchy foods such as grains, potatoes, and beans can only be converted to glucose and trigger an insulin release when consumed.  It is these foods that can cause blood sugar imbalances in some sensitive individuals even on a low fat diet.  

30BaD FADs: Starchy Foods vs Fruit n Lettuce - 30 Bananas a Day!

Fruits are high in simple sugars and only a few fruits like bananas will have minimal amounts of starch and or impact insulin levels.  

I have been trained in diabetes and blood sugar management.  It is normal for some people to spike as high as 400 after a meal, and for blood sugars to stay elevated up to four hours assuming no other food is taken.  

Also, if people are dehydrated, blood sugars will be higher.  Drink about 2-4 quarts of water about 30 minutes before a meal.  Blurred vision can also happen when one is dehydrated.  

Fast for 12 hours, preferably during the night, and then test your blood sugar in the am before any insulin, medication, or food is taken for a more accurate result.  Even then, if someone has unusual results, doctors like to take multiple tests over a period of a few weeks or months to confirm a diabetes diagnosis.  

If after a several 12 hour fasts your blood sugars are elevated, then see a doctor to rule out a diagnosis of diabetes, especially type one.  If for some reason you have a damaged pancreas, you may not be producing enough insulin.  

Hope you figure out what is going on.  Even if you do have diabetes, some of our type 2 has controlled, reversed, and even healed their diabetes on a low fat fruit diet skip the starchy foods like grains and potatoes, and some of our type ones have been able to reduce insulin.  

Good luck and Peace, PK

Hi PK!

This is a really great thread ... thanks so much for all your valuable comments!

Was wondering if you have any specific advice for helping to heal a damaged pancreas on this diet? I sense I may not be producing enough insulin as you mention...

Much love and thanks, DJ

@DJ,

And thank you for your kind words:-D

The pancreas and insulin issues you will have to follow up and confirm with your doctor just to make sure what your exact symptoms and condition is/are.  

Diabetes is  a complex disease with different people having different manifestations and causes ranging from simply removing fats from the diet to having gluten, grain, and or dairy sensitivities.  Therefore, consulting with a doctor is a must.

If you find out you have type two tendencies, then sticking to a low fat raw fruit and green based diet should be fine.  

If you have type one, then you will have to monitor the situation for life, and your brain becomes like a second pancreas or so the joke goes.    

Chances are that if the pancreas and or, actually the insulin producing Islet of Langerhans is damaged, chances of repairs are very slim.  This is the cause of type 1 diabetes and why they need to take insulin injections.  Once damage is done, repairs are almost impossible.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islets_of_Langerhans

There are some somewhat successful experiments with transplanting these islet cells.  But if people continue their dietary indiscretions such as grain sensitive people eating grains, the cells will die again.  

The good news is on this diet, if one continues to eat low fat and avoid the insulin triggering starchy foods like grains, potatoes, and beans, the need of insulin medications is less.  One will still have to monitor blood sugars and take insulin, but the dosage may be less.  

I am personally curious to know what the success rate of a low fat fruitarian getting a transplant would be:-D

Now this is just my opinion and theory here.  For people with minimal damage and are just producing low levels of insulin, they may be able to do a version of this diet and go insulin free.  

In some rare cases, again, if damage is minimal, I believe that especially with a nutrient dense diet high in vitamin C and greens, that some repairs are possible.  However, these are probably rare and chances are slim.  

Sorry this was a somewhat pessimistic reply.  I hate to give people bad news, but at the same time, I want to be a realist and acknowledge any potential problems.  People with diabetes in its various manifestations can live long healthy and productive lives if provided with knowledge and proper care.  

Peace, PK

Thanks Durian Rider. I only held 244 for about thirty minutes. I would prefer not to hit that level at all, so that is my concern. Im new to the diet as I said so I will stay off the dates and maybe space out my banana intake as to keep the blood sugar reading low. That is the only thing I can think of to keep myself balanced at the moment.
Thank you PK,

I have only recently (as in four days) completely gotten off having cooked sweet potato and olives in my salad at night. Everything else I had been following to a T. The past four days Ive had 1/2 an avocado and a half a handful of either pistachio or pumpkin seeds.
It might be that the residual fat in my body is combining with the high sugar content of fruit as you said. Even if people do spike up to 400 I would be fine with it if my body and mind felt fine. I felt "cracked out" on a sugar high and eventually dropped. That isn't any fun. To top it off, my skin is breaking out like crazy and Im still quite moody. These are all things I hope to cure with this diet. I will keep following this 100% and see how it goes.
By the way, funny you mention dehydrated. Im always thirsty (another sign of diabetes I guess) and my skin is super dry. Drives me crazy. Im drinking 2 liters of water a day at least and so much juicy fruit!
I feel fine after all fruit except dates and maybe too many grapes. Do you have experience with this?

Thank you for the thoughtful response, I really appreciate you.

@angela,

You are welcome.  Congratulations on taking the plunge even if it is only four days, and give yourself time to heal your body and adjust.  

Have you been monitoring your fasting blood sugars with a doctor?  Do you have a record of your blood sugar results before doing 811?  

The good news is that even if you are diabetic, eating vegan diets high in fruits and vegetables can help control your symptoms long term.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/print/diabetes/AN00845/METHOD=print

I know it sounds cliche, but I say give yourself time to adjust.  It can take people a month, three months, and in some cases up to two years for complete detox and healing and to achieve their goals.  

For optimum long term results on this diet, focus on whole fresh fruits with their fiber intact.  Avoid juicing and smoothies.  Eat simple meals but a rainbow of fruits over a period of time.  For optimum physical and oral health, eat about 1/2-2 pounds of lettuce greens a day, and if you can digest them, you can have about a handful of nuts or seeds a day.  

30BaD FADs: Benefits of Lettuce Greens - 30 Bananas a Day!

Regarding water intake:

Again, if you are in doubt about diabetes, see a doctor.  If in case you are type one, you may need some kind of insulin and this is no matter what the diet.  

Having said that, most of the modern world lives in a state of dehydration.  We are told to drink 6-8 glasses of liquids a day, and for some people, coffee and milk count as a liquid.  

When in fact, we need about 2-4 quarts, yes, for some people, up to a gallon of water a day.  This is normal and not a sign of diabetes.  Most of our long term members have to drink this amount for optimum results.  

Regarding your skin breaking out:

Dry skin can be result of dehydration.  You may need up to a gallon of water a day.  

Eating a mono meal a day of oranges, and eating like 10-20 oranges, is a great way to build up healthy skin and bones.  Oranges are high in vitamin C and promote healthy collagen development which is good for skin and bones.  

Rashes

This can be detox.  Once we start eating a cleaner diet, our body has energy and resources to start cleaning house, and for some people this means detoxing through the skin.  

High oxalate diet:

Skin rashes, acne, and other eruptions can be a result of eating high oxalate foods.  High oxalate foods include animal and dairy products, all grains and bread, tubers and potatoes, legumes and beans, most cooked and processed foods, most nuts and seeds, teas, coffees, chocolates, and most cruciferous veggies like kale and spinach.  

Besides skin break outs, these foods can cause a host of other problems from indigestion, gas and bloating short term, to kidney failure long term.

30BaD FADs: Oxalate Health Impact - 30 Bananas a Day!

Moodiness might just be a sign of detox and or your body dealing with addictions.  Chemically, many people can be addicted to things like gluten grains, but mentally, they do not make the connection.  Give your body a fews days or weeks to overcome these addictions.  

Make sure you are getting 8-12 hours of sleep a night.  This can help with moodiness too.  If you need to rest during the day time during detox do that too even if is just watching tv.  

Get 30 minutes of fresh air and sunlight a day and keep your vitamin D levels up.  

Regarding dates and grapes

I personally can only eat dates and grapes as a snack food.  I eat them for fun but not as a main calorie source.  I cannot eat enough calories from grapes, and dates somehow interfere with my bowel movements.  I can eat them with other things, but not as a main calorie source.  

I also recommend that people not use dates as a main calorie source in part because they have no vitamin C.  They are great for promoting healthy blood and cardiovascular health, but need to be complimented with high vitamin C foods like oranges and lettuce greens.  

So if you are having  personal problems with a particular kind of food, I recommend not eating it for a while and try something else.  I know I am personally allergic to pineapples.  I love the smell and taste of a ripe pineapple, but they make my mouth and lips break out in a rash.  (I am also latex sensitive so there might be a connection.)

I hope this helps.  For further reading:

30BaD Banana Wagon Tour - 30 Bananas a Day!

Frequently Added Discussions - 30 Bananas a Day!

Peace, PK

Thank you PK. You gave me so much great information and advice. I am going to up my intake of water for sure. Generally I feel balanced just not as much as I would like to. I think I'll start doing more mono meals for a while as well. I'll leave the dates alone at this time. Im still working on trying to eat bananas, I really need to blend them to eat them. I just blend on Medium instead of High so that I have to chew a bit still. Really great info, again thank you for taking the time.
Hi Line. I was putting my info in Nutridiary and getting a bit confused about the percentage. Maybe I'll try crono meter. I now 1/4 of an avocado is about 10% so thank you for pointing it out to me. Im definitely eating over 10% with 1/2 an avocado and some seeds. I'll cut down to a 1/4th and seee how that goes. Thank you for your response.

Ya that would be the reason.  It's usually half of an avocado or a handful of nuts not both.  Or you can eat a whole avocado every other day.  But some people have problems with fatty foods and so go overt fat free, you still get 5-7% fat from regular non-fatty fruits and vegetables, more than enough to be healthy.  Use the food tracking tool to be sure of your fat intake, weighing your edible portion of food is most accurate.

Sounds like pre-diabettes. Its usually the warning sign that type 2 is on the way.

Its good you found this diet when you did. You will most likely reverse this condition with 811.

If you have recently eaten a high fat diet you may have symptoms of insulin resistance. Make sure you are getting less than 10% of calories from fat. Also eat more greens!

RSS

About

TheBananaGirl created this Ning Network.

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

Aysel is now friends with Houdini Steve Owens and Sugalena
17 hours ago
OrganicMark posted a status
"Why the 2008 Housing Crisis Recovery Is Just an Illusion (w/ Keith Jurow) #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #light http://j.mp/2ODSZ93"
yesterday
"Not Transitory - Fed Liquidity Handout Surges To Near $90 Billion #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light http://j.mp/35F4Sl5"
yesterday
Frugisaurus and Alex Curtis-Slep are now friends
Monday
Michael Lanfield posted a video

Return to the Gentle Sea by Michael Lanfield with Music by Dr. Will Tuttle, PhD (Full Audiobook)

Return to the Gentle Sea: For the Love That Lives in Everyone is a book on spiritual healing and cultural transformation on the human relationship to nonhuman animals. It explains how living in a herding culture, eating animals and their secretions,…
Sunday
Michael Lanfield commented on ednshell's video
Sunday
Michael Lanfield and Olga are now friends
Sunday
Raw Aussie Athlete and Lil Green Coconut are now friends
Sunday
ednshell replied to Tams's discussion Best vegan retreats ?
Saturday
ednshell posted a video

Take Back Your Power 2017 (Official) - smart meter documentary

This award-winning film documents the real story on smart meters. + Subscribe for free EMF guide & help stop 'smart' meters and 5G: https://TakeBackYourPower...
Saturday
ednshell posted a discussion
Saturday
Profile Iconmichael wilson, Savannah Holte, tori jacobs and 2 more joined 30 Bananas a Day!
Saturday
"QE4 "Not A QE" Begins: Fed Starts Buying $60BN In Bills Per Month Beginning Next Week #awakening #peace #truth #light http://j.mp/2M9cmoQ"
Friday
Rock and Tams are now friends
Friday
Tams posted a discussion
Friday
"Powell says the Fed will start expanding its balance sheet ‘soon’ in response to funding issues #peace #truth #light http://j.mp/30Zc8ol"
Oct 11

© 2019   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service