30 Bananas a Day!

I know that "fruit does not make you fat" and all of that, but I really do wonder how far that goes. When I binge on fruit, I binge really hard. This morning I ate a whole cantaloupe, 7 bananas, 10 oranges, and a mango (and that's just for breakfast). I eat fruit until I physically can't take another bite and end up having to just lie down for hours because I'm in such pain. I've been steadily gaining about a pound a day from these binging episodes. It's scary and I don't know how to make it stop. I tell myself in the middle of it "it's fine, fruit doesn't make you fat," but I'm still gaining weight like crazy. So my question is, how much fruit is really too much? I'm not about calorie restriction, but what I'm doing right now can't be healthy either.

Views: 6260

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So, you are saying it yourself... it `s an emotional problem? Food is the highlight of your day? You do not want the highlight to end?

Why not address the issue on an emotional level than? There is no food in the world that can fill emotional needs.

Can you create different kinds of highlights during the day? Other things that excite you,... fulfill you..., satisfy you?

@Kimmie,

I concur with what some others have said here is try not to eat so much you are uncomfortable.  

Dehydration

On occasion, some people who are actually dehydrated might feel like they are hungry or craving something.  When you get up in the morning, drink about 2-4 cups of water, wait about 30 minutes to get the system lubed up, and then eat.  

When to eat for max life performance. « Durianrider's Blog

Schedule Meals

I like to schedule my meals.  I personally know that I am in my goldilocks zone if I eat 500-1000 calories at a time.  While I can eat much more than that, i will have indigestion and tiredness later on, so I keep all meals and snacks at 1k or below.  

Double Check Caloric Counts and that your are 80 10 10

If your body is experiencing malnutrition and or not getting enough calories or protein, it may drive you to keep eating until that nutrient is sufficient.  However, your body may  not know how to tell you what it needs exactly.  Make sure you are not eating overt fat free and fats and proteins continue to be at the 10% mark.  While most calories do come from fruits, eat about 1/2-2 heads of lettuce greens a day, and about 1-2 oz of nuts or seeds.  

Personal Hopes, Goals, Dreams

Make a schedule and routine for yourself.  

I am not sure what is going on in your personal life like if you are a student, work or what.  But if your mornings are free, then perhaps schedule things like working out or studying a foreign language or volunteering, etc.  Something to get your mind off of food.  Yes, we do not want you starving yourself or restricting calories, but at the same time, food should be a part of life, not the life.  

Peace, PK

I think you're fine and should probably just keep doing what you are doing until your body gets the nutrients it needs to heal itself.

Kimmie, I'm so sorry you are going through this. I also had anorexia and also non-purgative bulimia (with binge eating episodes) and I completely understand you.
I know the feeling of being out of control, anxious and with the urge to eat everything in sight until physically uncomfortable.
It will get easier, I promise. What I found worked for me, was to eat always as much as I wanted and letting go the mentality of 'binging'. You're now eating healthy, nourishing your body and you NEED an excess of calories until you heal yourself. Read the website youreatopia.com, it may help you.
Feel free to PM if you need support, I'll gladly help you in whatever I can.

That small of a meal makes your stomach hurt for hours?
Judging from your pic you don't need to lose weight. If you are in fact trying to lose weight and don't need to you probably have emotional/mental issue that probably led to the past eating disorder. You may want to consider seeing someone to talk about you body image issue. Might help. :)

I have to admit that picture is not recent. It was taken when I was at the height of my eating disorder and since then, I have put on about 20 pounds. I wouldn't mind gaining the weight if it were muscle, but it is in fat. It is true that some days I have gone out to eat for just regular cooked vegan food that probably had some oil in it, but whenever I am at home I am 80-10-10. It's just frustrating because when I first started eating this way back in December, I was losing weight but now I'm just completely obsessed with eating all day long and people keep commenting on my weight gain.

I just wanted to say I was in the exact same place, and still am some days. Completely obsessed with eating all day long. 

And anyone who is commenting on your weight gain isn't worth listening to.

Dr.Suess  "Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."

Coming from an eating disorder background and years of yo-yoing with weight, I have found YourEatopia's blog and other pages so helpful. Especially combined with the whole 30 Bananas minimum caloric intake - For example, http://www.youreatopia.com/blog/2012/10/31/bingeing-is-not-bingeing...

If you want long-term health and wellbeing and vitality and healing, and a smokin hot bod, it's going to take time and you will have to allow your body time to learn to trust you again, that you will feed it!

It's been a year since I committed to unrestricted calories, and not very long high raw 80-10-10. But I felt the same, that I was gaining fat daily and it just was getting out of control. 

However through educating myself about the process of recovery and what it means coming from disordered eating, and deciding that I was tired of putting myself through what I had been, finding the reasons to commit to recovery, I found a way to be okay with it. All in all I actually only gained a total of 25lbs and despite some crazy eating (low fat high carb) like 5000 calories days often, my weight has remained stable for like 8 months, and I look leaner in places...it's a slow process but you WILL NOT KEEP GAINING WEIGHT FOREVER! Really. Your body needs to be allowed to get where it needs to be, and do some heavy healing. 

Sorry if this is an intense reply - I'm not practiced at the whole internet forum advice/help thing :) Please take what is helpful and leave the rest! 

if youre keeping your at under 10% youre not gaining fat, either water or muscle or bone density or all of the above. eat for energy for now. your body was probably starving for the nutrients you are now providing. print out a food combining chart and put that on the fridge. definitely track your calories on cronometer.  you should get close to 2500.  if you were eating enough calories, youd be too busy happy smiling and not really concerned.

Your body clearly still doesn't trust you to actually feed it.  That's why you are binging.  Trust me, I have been there, and the fact that you're 'obsessed' with eating all day long AND can fit that much in per day (which is damn impressive, by the way) signals to me that your body is not fully over the eating disorder.  I am sorry to say this, but this will probably continue, until your body feels normalized, and recognizes you have no intention of starving it any longer.  Just stay calm, and trust that your body knows what it's doing.  In the meantime, to help convert more of that energy into muscle, you should start lifting weights, if you don't already.  But, please, for the love of your body and your health, PLEASE do not restrict, or think you are doing something wrong, or that your body is an evil, traitorous thing that hates you.  It doesn't.  It's still scared and confused, and that's why it's doing this.

Thank you to everyone for all of these responses. If only people really looked out for each other like they do in the 811 community :) There have been days where I have binged on other low fat vegan foods like beans and I'm wondering if that has contributed to weight gain as well. I don't know if it is incorrect for me to think that as long as it is low fat and vegan, I can eat as much as I want.

RSS

About

TheBananaGirl created this Ning Network.

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

© 2019   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service