30 Bananas a Day!

i have gotten to the point with some bananas that are all spotty, and i feel like they are too ripe, but how can i be certain?  I think they are too ripe because when i lightly squeeze them from the otside of the peel, theyre very very squishy.  When i saw harley eating bananas on one of his latest videos, it didnt look super duper squishy, still held its form.

So how can i tell when they are TOO ripe, i also struggle to like the taste when they are that ripe....but i just dont know! haha

Views: 989

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

before peeling, they're usually quite soft and squishy. would probably splatter all over the floor if you drop one.

i don't quite like the taste of ripe (much less overripe) bananas which is why i always blend. 

When i have overripe ones i like to freeze them and toss them in my next day's smoothie for a thicker texture. 

Sometimes the spots can lie.

It depends on the temperature in which the bananas ripen in, as well as temperature and treatment during transport... AND time of harvest. There is a lot that can go wrong for those of us not living in a tropical banana-laden heaven! 

Sometimes they're ripe and "spotty" whilst still GREEN or over-ripe when perfectly yellow and spotty.

I go by smell, personally. If the banana smells sweet and no longer smells.. "starchy"... it's good!

Looks can be deceiving....

I've purchased "reduced" bananas a couple of times that... according to "banana ripeness theory" should have been PERFECT. Instead they were fermented.... alcoholic tasting... and mushy! 

Here's some more info.... http://health101.org/banana

yes sometimes i think theyre too squishy and smell funny, and dont taste like other ripe bananas, i can definitely tell a taste difference when i think they are over ripe compared to just ripe enough! 

exactly! Bananas are sneaky......

Yeah, fresh off-the-plant bananas ripen perfectly and always taste good. The store ones are often a bit disappointing and behave weirdly and don't taste as good. Is it me or has anyone noticed banana quality has gone down over the years? Not that I used to eat many bananas years ago, so it's hard to say, but still.

For me, it's in the smell. If they smell alcohol-y they go straight into the blender. Although honestly, some people do like to eat them that way. Follow you nose, lol! You'll have no problem identifying how ripe is too ripe for you. You might try freezing the overripe ones, as well, you can't taste it after freezing and blending.

When they start trying to break out of their peel and dance.

♥♥♥

I dont think they can be too ripe from a nutritional point of view. They get very carmel-tasting sugars and texture is limp and mushy though. Check out these black ones with model growing on outside. Inside they were okay and I frooze them and they're good in smoothies. They were in a box of bananas in cellar that I didn't unpack enough, two hands on top of this one and it's was wrapped in plastic so it got ripe before the others without me noticing.

the mold concerns me some....i had some bananas the other day in a smoothie with some dates and a few times i had a nasty moldy taste from a sip.....i dont want to be eating mold!

I didn't taste any mould, in fact these were less over ripe than some green bananas I had with spots. Mould is just free penicillin!

If they get to ripe to eat you can always freeze them and then put them in a juicer to make banana ice cream or banana whips, whatever you want to call it. Thats what I do if my bananas start spotting. That banana ice cream was how this website found me when I was looking for different ways to make this with other ingredients like frozen berries or coconut.

RSS

About

TheBananaGirl created this Ning Network.

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

OrganicMark posted a status
"Bahrain, Belgium Report COVID-19 Treatment Touted By Trump Working For Patients #organic #fruits #vegetables #health https://j.mp/39p6zno"
yesterday
Cassie K and DreamsofFreedom are now friends
Friday
Cassie K added a discussion to the group Gardening for food and fun.
Friday
Sarah Troyer and Kevin are now friends
Mar 20
"Visualizing The History Of Pandemics... By Death Toll #NoVaccine #organic #fruits #vegetables #health #longevity http://j.mp/2x0ghPI"
Mar 18
ednshell commented on OrganicMark's status
Mar 16
Miles Brandon is now a member of 30 Bananas a Day!
Mar 16
Profile IconMichael Taube and lizzie joined 30 Bananas a Day!
Mar 7
Rock replied to pradtf's discussion vegan cats
Feb 29
"$5 Trillion Wiped Out From World Stocks Amid Fastest Collapse In History #awakening #peace #truth #love #light http://j.mp/2vfwccz"
Feb 29
Paul replied to Raini Pachak's discussion Oh, hey.
Feb 26
Silvery posted a discussion
Feb 26
Silvery replied to Rock's discussion This site...
Feb 26
BananaStatesofMurica! RAW OR DIE replied to Rock's discussion This site...
Feb 26
Profile IconJan and Zahra joined 30 Bananas a Day!
Feb 22
ednshell posted a discussion
Feb 18

© 2020   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service